phpBB3

if you have anything to say about this forum, this is the place

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

suntzu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: phpBB3

Post by suntzu »

Good visual stuff, the switching profiles from left to right seems quite strange, but people will get used to it. :D
Besides there´s also the subsilver available, for "oldtimers" :mrgreen:
i also like the report button, i believe it`s that button that´s available but we hope never using it, means that everything is calm over here :D
Congratulations and thanks for the hard work.
:flag-pt: :flag-fi: :flag-fr: :flag-si: :flag-nl: :flag-de: :flag-at: :flag-es: hitting since March 2007
Anti-Stress Game
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

Poutsi wrote:I think it'd be great to set Subsilver2 as default board style.
I second this. What are the advantages of the new layout over subsilver2?
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

some topics in the list have now "shot" icons

are these the topics where I have posted? It doesn't tell on the bottom of the page

... the url is "topic_read_mine.gif", so I thought that the shot hole should be "a mine", but it could also mean "mine" as in "my" topics 8)
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

When I opened the forum this morning at my office, it was set by default on Subsilver2 before I logged in and it was much better to have it like this !
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by androl »

* have you removed the size limit? I can post huge messages, bigger than before

* you should change all the links in the forum that are like
http://www.eurobilltrackerforum.com/php ... 2[b]#43882[/b]
to
http://www.eurobilltrackerforum.com/php ... [b]#p43882[/b]
so that they work again

* and is it a bad idea to put the edit button to the top of a message instead of the bottom? If I have a huge message and I want to edit it, I would rather look for the edit button at the top of the message, where I can also see that I have posted it

edit: what's that? Why doesn't it show the url of this site http://www.eurobilltrackerforum.com when I post links like http://www.eurobilltrackerforum.com/pos ... 6&p=584681?
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by androl »

there's a big problem with making links
if I write some words and click on one word, that word together with the space between it and the next word is marked blue. If I click then on the URL button and insert a url, the code will be
tra [url=http://www.tralala.de]la [/url]la, with a space before the closing url tag
this has never made any problem until now but now, when I hit submit, the space is removed by the forum, making it look like this:
tra lala
kettenseger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

2 questions

Post by kettenseger »

is it possible that links open in a new window or new tab, when i press the left mouse button.
in the old version it works this way.
i know that i can open the link in a new window with the right mouse button.

and
in the signature are only 400 characters allowed, is it possible to add an character-counter?
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 2 questions

Post by avij »

kettenseger wrote:is it possible that links open in a new window or new tab, when i press the left mouse button.
This will probably be changed in the next few days.
kettenseger wrote:in the signature are only 400 characters allowed, is it possible to add an character-counter?
Sorry, such feature requests should probably be routed to the phpBB people. If such a counter appears in the next versions of phpBB, it'll end up here on the EBTF as well.
androl wrote:if I write some words and click on one word, that word together with the space between it and the next word is marked blue.
You're probably on Windows, right? All the browsers on my Mac select only the word, not the space following the word. Opera and Safari on Windows also only select the word. MSIE and Firefox select the word and the space by default. If you're using Firefox, change the layout.word_select.eat_space_to_next_word preference setting to false to select only the word. Failing that, please file a bug to phpBB's bug tracker so they can figure out a workaround.
Crazy Bob wrote:I can't update my statistics anymore on the forum, because the message is too long! Forum now allows maximum of 60.000 (apparently), but my statistics are (again apparently) 115.000-something characters.
and
androl wrote:have you removed the size limit? I can post huge messages, bigger than before
There is still a limit, of course. It has just been increased a bit from the default phpBB3 value.
androl wrote:phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=43882#p43882
Yes, I'll try to add the missing 'p' to the forum posts. Unfortunately MySQL doesn't appear to support regexp search&replace, I'll have to write some PHP code to handle the conversion.
androl wrote:some topics in the list have now "shot" iconsImage

are these the topics where I have posted?
Yes, the icons with dots (or stars, depending on the style you use) do indeed indicate the topics where you have posted. It's likely that you'll be more interested in those topics, thus the "highlight" in the topic list.
eddydevries wrote:I now also notice, the size of the text in the signatures are smaller as in the old forum.
and
joergb30 wrote:I changed to subsilver2 style but it seems that I cannot the change the *very small* font size now.
Is'nt it possible to change the font size manually? (eg. font size=8 font size= 9 font size=10 =10 )???
Yes, for some reason the nice guys at phpBB decided to use relative sizes instead of pixel sizes in the [size] tag from now on. The previous [size] value of 10 (which was slightly smaller than normal text) is now automatically converted to 84 (%). I suppose some of the signatures may indeed look a bit smaller, but you can fix the signatures by yourself to suitable sizes.
BogPoet wrote:I believe it's a bit harder to go back to forum index (the link is smaller)
The largish Image also takes you back to the forum index, isn't that big enough?
Ralf et al. wrote:But personally I like more the user ''profile'' on the left than on the right side of the post.
Well, actually, I prefer the new layout :wink: Mind you, the new layout (with the user information on the right) was the default style that came with phpBB 3, I didn't specifically enable it from the configuration. It was there right from the beginning. I think the philosophy behind moving things around was that this change would emphasize the discussion aspect of the forums. I don't think that is a particularly bad goal. If you prefer to use the old style, go ahead and change the style from your settings, as mentioned elsewhere in this topic.
androl wrote:those subject lines of every message "Re: phpBB3" look very big, they are useless anyway, no one has used them to communicate in the past
If you leave the subject lines blank, they won't eat up your precious screen space.
Poutsi wrote:I prefer the old Subsilver2 as well. Does anyone know how to hide that annoying Image/Image status bar from user profile windows?
Switch back to Prosilver style, its online status indicator is probably much less annoying.
androl wrote:and is it a bad idea to put the edit button to the top of a message instead of the bottom? If I have a huge message and I want to edit it, I would rather look for the edit button at the top of the message, where I can also see that I have posted it
Good idea. Perhaps that's the reason why the Prosilver style indeed has those buttons on the top. Try using that style.
magpie wrote:I think the new design is really uncomfortable to look at because there so many moving icons in the forum indices. Maybe one should assign a different icon to "hot" topics
I changed the "hot topic" threshold a bit, so that less icons will be moving now. Hope that helps a bit.
androl wrote:why do we need this "upgrade"?
Because phpBB v3 comes with some nice goodies, such as..
  • vastly improved PM system, it's now like a proper email client with folders, reply status indicators, forwarding, sorting rules, carbon copies etc.
  • supports subforums (which may be handy later on, although not activated yet)
  • attachments
  • better spam prevention
  • more moderator options, such as changing post author (I had to change those manually into the forum database until now), topic merging, post merging ..
  • more comprehensive user control panel
  • better search options (search within topic, for example)
  • password protected forums
  • forum subscriptions -- you can get a notification whenever someone writes a message to a particular forum (more useful in specialized subforums for smaller groups of people)
  • and more, read all about it from http://www.phpbb.com/about/features/
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
ajax_rotterdam
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by ajax_rotterdam »

Maybe add a youtube function?
I collect Airplane Safetycards, could you help me collecting them?
If you got some, PM me!
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: 2 questions

Post by Dakkus »

avij wrote: this change would emphasize the discussion aspect of the forums.
I do agree that it's a bit annoying that so many people are using the forum for things other than discussion. However, I do not believe that emphasising the discussion in this manner actually has even the slightest effect in this.

Emphasising the discussion on a discussion forum does indeed sound very logical for first. But then.. Since we are here to communicate, it's not as if we would be missing the discussion anyway.
Emphasising the discussion over the user info means emphasising what is said over who has said it. I actually do not think this is a very nice thing. It kinda takes the heart away from the communication, kinda making it more technical. I don't want to feel like reading a technical documentation when I am communicating with my friends. I don't want there to be a distance between me and the other people in the conversation.
If there were two rings of people, of which one would have a very intelligent conversation held by completely unknown people and the other was consisting of my good friends and talking about something that is not "very intelligent" but only "quite intelligent", I would prefer the ring with my friends.
Currently the forum is trying to push me into the ring where the conversation is very very intelligent, but in which I feel myself like a complete outsider. I would bore myself quite quickly in that ring and go home. And after being bored in one ring, reverting to the other doesn't help anymore. (nimim. irl-kokemusta on)

Of course I have been able to go against the will of the forum software and have joined the ring of my friends. But many people won't notice the other ring is there. And will just go home.
That includes previous users, but more importantly the new forum readerbase.
I just have the fear that in a few years from now we might be asking "what the hell happened to the community spirit?". These kinds of small things can have surprisingly large effects for a human mind.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

We have now installed a bunch of languages: de, el, es, fi, fr, it, nl, pl, pt and ru. If your favourite language is missing, odds are that the translation hasn't been updated for the newest version of phpBB and thus couldn't be installed yet. See the list of available translation packs for more information.

The forum will try to automagically detect your language, but will change back to the language you've chosen in your settings once you've logged on. For this reason, you'll probably want to switch your language from User control panel -> Board preferences -> My language.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

avij wrote:We have now installed a bunch of languages: de, el, es, fi, fr, it, nl, pl, pt and ru. If your favourite language is missing, odds are that the translation hasn't been updated for the newest version of phpBB and thus couldn't be installed yet. See the list of available translation packs for more information.

The forum will try to automagically detect your language, but will change back to the language you've chosen in your settings once you've logged on. For this reason, you'll probably want to switch your language from User control panel -> Board preferences -> My language.
FANTASTIC NEWS ! i have already communicated this information on the French Forum ! This will be very helpfull !

Great job, avij ! :wink:
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

Would it be possible to add a "target=top" string to external (non-forum) links, so they open in a new window, just like on the old-style forum?
suntzu
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by suntzu »

Hi, anyone can explain why this happened ?
Thanks, this was very tidy, but not anymore 8O
:flag-pt: :flag-fi: :flag-fr: :flag-si: :flag-nl: :flag-de: :flag-at: :flag-es: hitting since March 2007
Anti-Stress Game
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

suntzu wrote:Hi, anyone can explain why this happened ?
Thanks, this was very tidy, but not anymore 8O
You mean, that in stead of the flags you see ":flag-.."?
I noticed that the emoticons (as the flags are too) need a space in front of it, to be recognized as an emoticon.
So if you change:

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php?command=32;id=120423;-//url]:flag-de:[/url] [url=http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php?command=32;id=3962110;-//url]
into

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php?command=32;id=120423;-//url] :flag-de:[/url] [url=http://www.eurobilltracker.eu/index.php?command=32;id=3962110;-//url]
(etc., etc., etc.) I think it will work fine again.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing

Return to “Forum feedback”