if you have anything to say about this forum, this is the place

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by BogPoet »

I have seen this in quite a few phpBB boards: the possibility of uploading avatars directly to the forum server (from your profile). Since the forum was moved to the new server, any possibility that feature could be activated here at the EBTForum? We could also add a gallery of Euro-related avatars. The gallery currently exists but has 0 (zero) images. I guess that would solve the minor problems with linking outside images (such as from geocities), broken avatar links, etc., etc.

Just a tought. If it isn't possible, just tell me to shut the hell up and I gladly will. :mrgreen:
Tracking (again) Image
Craco
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by Craco »

No need to shut you up :mrgreen:
Due to the limited hosting of OVH, we never made use of this. Since we moved to the new server of Avij, we need to reconsider this. I will talk to Avij to see if there are no issues in activating this from the hosting-standpoint (security, bandwith etc...).

Greetzz,
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

I told Craco that it was ok, but looks like Craco didn't activate that feature for some reason. In any case, I've now enabled that feature. If you have a nice avatar image but no place where to store it, go to your Profile and then select the "Upload avatar from your machine option". This will place the image on the EBT forum server. There are some limits for the image size, please respect them. The limits have been set so that people browsing the forum would get the page loaded in a reasonable time.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fjon »

My avatar seems to have disappeared. This may be due to the fact that it exceeds the recommended size. Has this recently been enforced? Previously the avatar worked even though it was over the 90x90kb size.

So....

Could anyone reduce my avatar to taht size please? I'm not computer-savvy enough to do it myself :oops:

If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by emmem »

fjon wrote: ...
Could anyone reduce my avatar to taht size please? I'm not computer-savvy enough to do it myself :oops:
Sure...
Last track:.31-07-2007.:
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

fjon wrote:My avatar seems to have disappeared. This may be due to the fact that it exceeds the recommended size. Has this recently been enforced? Previously the avatar worked even though it was over the 90x90kb size.
The limitation is only for uploaded avatars, avatars linked from other sites can be as big as you want (although I'd recommend limiting yourself to the recommended size). The reason your avatar has disappeared is that the web server where your avatar is located is unreachable. When that server comes back up, your avatar will again be visible.
Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fjon »

Thank you emmem and avij, Supersquirrel is back!
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
Viperazzi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Viperazzi »

Is there any possibility that you could download small (like, for example, less than 100k) pictures to the forum site? That way people could, for example, show their avatar history properly, add more pictures to the threads and show pictures that aren't available online.

Or is this just the wrong way which you'd like to avoid due to limited server space? In that case, it's OK. Just curiously asking... I might have to consider getting a home page somewhere then, through which I could kinda do the same.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Server space isn't really a problem, it's just that phpBB2 doesn't support image uploading out of the box. I'd rather spend my precious time on things that are directly EBT related, instead of patching phpBB to support "secondary" goals. Ask Craco, the board admin.
Viperazzi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Viperazzi »

avij wrote:Server space isn't really a problem, it's just that phpBB2 doesn't support image uploading out of the box. I'd rather spend my precious time on things that are directly EBT related, instead of patching phpBB to support "secondary" goals. Ask Craco, the board admin.
Okay, thanks! I understand that time is precious so I don't expect this to happen fast anyway. I've just seen other forums where this has been possible. A lot of forums look the same as this, so I thought it would be possible. Guess it was a forum using a different system, then...

*hoping that Craco reads my message sometime* :wink:
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by BogPoet »

avij wrote:Server space isn't really a problem, it's just that phpBB2 doesn't support image uploading out of the box.
What about attaching files? I've seen forums where it is possible to attach files... Maybe this was what Osku meant.
Tracking (again) Image
Viperazzi
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Viperazzi »

BogPoet wrote:
avij wrote:Server space isn't really a problem, it's just that phpBB2 doesn't support image uploading out of the box.
What about attaching files? I've seen forums where it is possible to attach files... Maybe this was what Osku meant.
Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Somehow I have been missing the right words for quite a while now... Hope it isn't anything permanent! :roll:
Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer »

When trying to upload a new avatar, I noticed that this jpg-image wasn't displayed though it was exactly 90x90 and <10kb.
When trying to upload the old avatar again, it was exactly the same, both images were accepted but displayed as invalid files.
Can anybody please help me?
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

I think it should work now, I fixed some permission problems.
Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer »

Yes, thanks a lot! :D

Return to “Forum feedback”