Daylight Saving Time

if you have anything to say about this forum, this is the place

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

roberdy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Daylight Saving Time

Post by roberdy »

The EBT forum ist the only forum board I know where you have to change the daylight saving time (and back) manually in your preferences... :lol:

Is there no possibility to change this automatically?
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Daylight Saving Time

Post by avij »

There's a configuration option "Enable Summer Time/DST" with the choices Yes/No. I've now flipped it to No. I don't know why it doesn't work automatically, complain to the phpBB developers.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

avij wrote:There's a configuration option "Enable Summer Time/DST" with the choices Yes/No. I've now flipped it to No. I don't know why it doesn't work automatically, complain to the phpBB developers.
Maybe it doesn't change automatically, because the Daylight Saving Time isn't used in each country.
Automatically changing (depending on your country) won't be possible (I think), because the dates aren't the same (in the EU they are but not outside of Europe) and even within a country there're differences (for example: in the USA some States don't use it, while most of them do).
It also can change from one year to another.

So the best way of having the right time is to change it in your profile.

At another forum I'm on, it's not possible to select Yes/No DST. There I had to change my timezone into "Eastern Europe Timezone" to have the correct time.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

I think I've never saw the correct hour here. I've just switched to UTC, and time shown seems to be one hour ahead. I'm posting this at 14:39 CET (which is UTC+1).

Edit: and the forum says it was posted at 14:39:17 +0000.
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

dserrano5 wrote:I think I've never saw the correct hour here. I've just switched to UTC, and time shown seems to be one hour ahead. I'm posting this at 14:39 CET (which is UTC+1).

Edit: and the forum says it was posted at 14:39:17 +0000.
Than I think, you're settings are still set on "Summer Time/DST is in effect:".
You can change this at this page ("Edit global settings"). After "Summer Time/DST is in effect:" there should be "No" at this time.
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

eddydevries wrote:Than I think, you're settings are still set on "Summer Time/DST is in effect:".
Oh yes, DST was active (I just cleared it). But then the time should include "+0100" in it, instead of "+0000".
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

We're back to "normal time". phpBB still doesn't update the DST flag automatically, so I updated everyone's DST setting to "no". To verify that your timezone settings are correct, go to the forum's front page. You will see the current timestamp near the top of the page, like "It is currently Mon Oct 27, 2014 15:10". If this differs from what you'd expect, go to your board preferences page and select the correct timezone. For most of you it's UTC+1, but Ireland, Portugal and UK use UTC, and Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Greece use UTC+2.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

phpBB v3.1 might work better in this regard.

Please check that your timezone is set correctly in your board preferences. I have it set to UTC+03:00 (because we're currently observing Daylight Saving Time). Many of you in Central Europe will want to use UTC+02:00 instead. Please also select the appropriate timezone name -- I have it set to Europe/Helsinki. By setting these values properly there might be a little bit of hope that the DST would be applied automatically whenever needed. We will know in about a month if this worked or not.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

I have now updated a few thousand users to have the correct timezone based on the user's default country in EBT. If you are using a different username and a different email address here on the forum than on EBT, you may need to do some adjustments yourself. When you go to the front page of the forum, you will see a text like "It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2015 22:23" near the top. If this does not match what you expect, go to your board preferences and set the proper timezone name (usually UTC + a few hours, then Europe/something in the next box (except for those two users who would have needed to pick Atlantic/Azores if I hadn't already done it for them)).

Doing these changes caused some brief unexpected outages for the forum tonight, sorry about that.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Yay, it worked :)

Return to “Forum feedback”