Posts in queue (new users)

if you have anything to say about this forum, this is the place

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posts in queue (new users)

Post by Crazy Bob »

I was just wondering: how long does it take for posts by new users (with zero posts) to be approved on this forum?

For example, this user currently has three posts in queue, according to his profile. When I click the "3 posts in queue" on his profile page, I am directed to this page, where I cannot see any posts waiting for approval. Probably because I'm not authorized to do so.

Who can approve posts, and how often does (s)he check the queue?
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Posts in queue (new users)

Post by avij »

It's up to the respective forum moderators to approve the posts. I also tend to check the queue every now and then (so that messages posted to quieter parts of the forum do not get entirely forgotten), but I don't necessarily do that daily.

I'd say that on average, there might be an one-day delay or so.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

A reminder to forum moderators: There is a link Moderator Control Panel on the front page of the forum. Clicking that link will show you all the messages that are awaiting for approval in all the subforums you are a moderator. If messages have been reported, they will also be shown on that page. The reports should be closed once they have been examined.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

This user appears to be legitimate, and has had a post in the queue for more than 48 hours now.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

Crazy Bob wrote:This user appears to be legitimate, and has had a post in the queue for more than 48 hours now.
96 hours and counting...
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Crazy Bob wrote:
Crazy Bob wrote:This user appears to be legitimate, and has had a post in the queue for more than 48 hours now.
96 hours and counting...
Looks like the Dutch forum might need an additional moderator. If you can reach a consensus about who that might be, let me know.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

The moderator for the Dutch forum does come online fairly frequently (currently, "Last visited: Sun 23 Nov 2014, 20:26"), but apparently does not approve (or disapprove) pending messages.

I approved two "Test" messages of this same "newbie" member today; hopefully he can post freely now or soon. (However, I don't know what the threshold is for posting without approval; shouldn't there be some info for new users somewhere?)
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

Here another user with a post in the queue for about five days now: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=68932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (don't know if legit or not, and can't see the forum in which (s)he tried to post)
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Crazy Bob wrote:Here another user with a post in the queue for about five days now: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=68932" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (don't know if legit or not, and can't see the forum in which (s)he tried to post)
That message was posted to the EuroBillTracker Statistics subforum. The message seemed rather legitimate, but it was a cut&paste from someone else's message. Besides, it was posted from Pakistan, and we don't have that many EBT users outside Europe.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

For the moment, I gave this post the benefit of the doubt. However, the post came from a Canadian IP address, by a new user with no equivalent on EBT itself, so my opinion might change in the future.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

Crazy Bob wrote:For the moment, I gave this post the benefit of the doubt. However, the post came from a Canadian IP address, by a new user with no equivalent on EBT itself, so my opinion might change in the future.
Okay, the original poster changed the post to add some spam links, so I deleted it. IP address was 142.4.99.149, in case anyone can amend the blocklist (if any).
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

Here another user with a post in the queue for a couple of days now...

[edit]
sending a PM to the user affected prompted him to post in the Test forum, after which he is now clear to go. The post in the queue remains ( :roll: )
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

I don't remember what it was like when I registrated for the forum, but I wonder:

Are new users told that their first messages need to be approved by a moderator before they appear in the forum?

I think it would be very wise to do so, because if they don't see their messages in the forum it might "scare" them away before the messages are approved. And than we've lost a possible active member......
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

All new users must go through spam/ to get the registration code. The page states that "All the posts from newly registered users must be approved by a moderator before they're visible to others. Any spam will only be seen by the moderators."

Reposting this reminder:
avij wrote:A reminder to forum moderators: There is a link Moderator Control Panel on the front page of the forum. Clicking that link will show you all the messages that are awaiting for approval in all the subforums you are a moderator. If messages have been reported, they will also be shown on that page. The reports should be closed once they have been examined.
As of today, there is one reported post. The report was written on Jul 23, 2014. I have been waiting to see how long it takes the Europe-Board moderators (Phaseolus, Craco, Fons, Olivier) to act on the report. Looks like I'll have to wait a little bit longer.

If you are a forum moderator, clicking that Moderator Control Panel link every few days might be a good idea.
Fons
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Fons »

Hi

Yes, I have seen this report, but because it's actually only about a 'typo' in the topic title I don't think it's our job to edit this post just for that reason. I spot typos in many posts and since English is not the native language of most of us everybody (me included) makes them. I thoughed maybe other moderators wanted to do something with it so I left it this way.

Maybe it's better to close it in the first time. Actions we make are always visible in the log.

Kind regards,

Return to “Forum feedback”