phpBB v3.1

if you have anything to say about this forum, this is the place

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: phpBB v3.1

Post by avij »

The forum will be upgraded from 3.1.6 to 3.1.8, tentatively on early Friday morning. The forum will be unavailable for half an hour during the upgrade.

The update should not have any user-visible changes. The users from Greece, Slovakia and Slovenia will be happy to see the forum being available in their language again, though. If you wish to change the language used on the forum, you can do so via the user control panel.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

It appears the "hide my online status this session" option (when logging in) no longer has effect, since I see my user name as being "online" on every page now...
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Crazy Bob wrote:It appears the "hide my online status this session" option (when logging in) no longer has effect, since I see my user name as being "online" on every page now...
It has been like this for as long as I can remember. If you tick that checkbox, others can't see your online status.
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

Not exactly. Before, my name wouldn't appear among the online users at all, but now my name appears in italics, while other people's names appear in normal font. This makes me believe my hidden name isn't visible to others.
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

Elmo wrote:Not exactly. Before, my name wouldn't appear among the online users at all, but now my name appears in italics, while other people's names appear in normal font. This makes me believe my hidden name isn't visible to others.
A little bit of history and background.. Forum admins (such as myself but not the forum moderators) have always been able to see the online status of even those users who have chosen the "hide my online status" option. The usernames of such users were shown in italics.

I'm not absolutely sure if the regular users saw themselves in italics or not at all when we were using phpBB 3.0.x, ie. prior to when we switched to phpBB 3.1.6 in September 2015. There is a bug entry suggesting that users who used the "hide my online status" option did not see themselves in the userlist in 3.1.6, which we were using until a few days ago.

That bug was fixed in 3.1.7, but I decided to skip that version at that time. Now that we're running 3.1.8 which includes this fix, those users will see their own username in the list of online users again, in italics. This seems to be the intended behaviour.

You can also test this by logging in without using the hiding option (in this case you should see your own username in normal font), or logging in using the hiding option in one browser and then using another browser without logging in at all to see the list of online users (in this case you should not see your username at all in the other browser).
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

We're now running 3.1.9, which is mostly a bugfix release. While at it, I also installed support for Basque/Euskara and Croatian/Hrvatski.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

I'll update the forum to phpBB 3.1.10 early Saturday morning. If you notice any problems after the update, please let me know.

edit: Done, and you can now use the forum in Czech if you want to.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

As I happened to be awake at this odd hour, I spent the time updating the forum to 3.1.11. No oddities are expected, this supposed to be a bugfix release only.
aloxe
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by aloxe »

wouldn't that be better with :

Code: Select all

.smilies {
    vertical-align: baseline;
}
in commons.css?
a̳l̳o̳x̳e̳ • my other statsmy map of France