phpBB v3.2

if you have anything to say about this forum, this is the place

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

phpBB v3.2

Post by avij »

I spent this evening upgrading a test installation of the forum to phpBB v3.2.1, but decided not to upgrade this forum to 3.2 yet due to some missing language packs.

It appears that of the currently installed languages, Basque, Estonian, Finnish, Romanian, Slovenian and Swedish are currently not available for phpBB v3.2.

If you are so inclined, you can help with the phpBB translation efforts. https://www.phpbb.com/languages/ has additional information about this (more for some languages, less for some other languages). If you need more information, phpBB's own discussion forum would be the best place to submit your questions.

Edit 5th October: Finnish language pack is now available for 3.2.
Edit 23rd October: Estonian language pack is now available for 3.2.
Money makes the world go round. We track how the money goes round the world.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: phpBB v3.2 and language packs

Post by avij »

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2430891 wrote:Please note that this [3.1.11] is the last maintenance release for phpBB 3.1 as it has now reached end of maintenance (EOM). It will continue to receive security updates until December 2017.
This means we'll probably update to 3.2 at the end of the year, disregarding any missing language packs. If you want to assist in adding the missing translations, see my above message.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: phpBB v3.2

Post by avij »

OK, we're now at 3.2.2. Support for Basque and Romanian had to be dropped due to lack of an updated language pack. I used pre-release language packs for Slovenian and Swedish.

3.2 supports the industry-standard reCaptcha v2 from Google for new user registration verification, and this is now enabled. You may already have seen the I'm not a robot checkbox somewhere.

The previous branch, 3.1.x, reached End Of Life about a month ago, and it is no longer supported and it will no longer receive any updates. Therefore the switch to a supported version.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

3.2.8, a security update, was released the other day. We're now running that version.
avij
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by avij »

We're now at 3.2.10. Please let me know if something broke.

Maintenance for the 3.2.x branch was supposed to end a month ago, but apparently the phpBB folks decided to continue supporting the 3.2.x branch until November 7th, 2020.

We're supposed to switch to the 3.3.x branch at some time, but that requires a newer PHP version than what is currently readily available, so that's going to need a bit of extra work. Additionally, it is possible that some language packs haven't been updated for 3.3. Waiting a few months is OK in this situation.

Return to “Forum feedback”