if you have anything to say about this forum, this is the place

Moderators: avij, Phaseolus, Fons

Eureka.72
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: What to do if you see a spam message on EBTF

Post by Eureka.72 »

Some hard work every morning in the "Off-Topic Discussions"... :roll:
Joined: 17 October 2005; Notes entered: 130 000; Interesting hits: 381.
MY HITS 381 :flag-eu:; 342 :flag-pt:; 3 :flag-fr:; 3 :flag-fi:; 6 :flag-nl:; 5 :flag-be:; 6 :flag-es:; 2 :flag-it:; 9 :flag-de:; 2 :flag-si:; 3 :flag-at:
Não os apanho a todos, mas... tenho esperança de caçar os suficientes para garantir a minha... retirada. (JC)
vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by vermeer »

New update: 22 spamfoes (will it ever stop)
vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by vermeer »

For the first time: This post was made by dinozuys who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by vermeer »

Update: 36 spamfoes
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

This user has been deleted several times, but he's started again.

Is there a possiblity to block him??
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by vermeer »

Update: 58 spamfoes
joergb30
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by joergb30 »

Please don't forget to remove these products of spambots:
http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/member ... le&u=15519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/member ... le&u=16044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/member ... le&u=16086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/member ... le&u=16097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

joergb30 wrote:Please don't forget to remove these products of spambots:
http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/member ... le&u=15519" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/member ... le&u=16044" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/member ... le&u=16086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/member ... le&u=16097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It should be reminded to local language moderator to keep their own forum clean or ask avij to act.
Eureka.72
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Eureka.72 »

Massive Spam Attack today by Abalaybug... :roll:
Joined: 17 October 2005; Notes entered: 130 000; Interesting hits: 381.
MY HITS 381 :flag-eu:; 342 :flag-pt:; 3 :flag-fr:; 3 :flag-fi:; 6 :flag-nl:; 5 :flag-be:; 6 :flag-es:; 2 :flag-it:; 9 :flag-de:; 2 :flag-si:; 3 :flag-at:
Não os apanho a todos, mas... tenho esperança de caçar os suficientes para garantir a minha... retirada. (JC)
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

And today from PalPodiaRot

He's been at it since yesterday 19:49. This indicates to me that we need to get more people involved with the spamfighting. Because someone like that should be banned within a few minutes and certainly shouldn't be able to continue spamming for 12 hours.

What version of phpBB is the forum? Is see that 3.0.6 has more spam fighting tools, but also that 3.0.5 has a lot of them. How many are implemented here?

And I've been looking at the new user registrations. In the last 3 days some 200 people have registred, but hardly any have posts. So either they don't post or their spam posts have been deleted. Isn't it an option to put every new user on moderated and see what their first post is? That way you can easily weed out the spammers, and it doesn't take more time than responding to post reports.
That legitimate users then have to wait 12 or 24 hours before their post shows up does not seem a big problem for me. Have there been any legitimate users the last 7 days? I can't find any.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

This user is sending spammy PMs. See moderator panel for reported PMs; and of course please delete + ban the user.

The corresponding IP adress, 193.25.103.226, is apparently known for spamming.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to phpBB, but currently on average between 50 and 100 fake / spam users register each day on our forum. At the moment we have 9336 registered forum users (and counting), and I can only assume that our user list is slowly filling with crap. So far in 2011 alone, we have gone up from user number 5471 to number 9336, which means that an astonishing 3865 users have registered to the forum during the current year. My guess is, that less than one percent of these are real humans who register in order to discuss EBT. I've asked it before, and I'll do it again, isn't it time for more effective measures against spammers?
eddydevries
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by eddydevries »

MDeen wrote: What version of phpBB is the forum? Is see that 3.0.6 has more spam fighting tools, but also that 3.0.5 has a lot of them. How many are implemented here?

And I've been looking at the new user registrations. In the last 3 days some 200 people have registred, but hardly any have posts. So either they don't post or their spam posts have been deleted. Isn't it an option to put every new user on moderated and see what their first post is? That way you can easily weed out the spammers, and it doesn't take more time than responding to post reports.
That legitimate users then have to wait 12 or 24 hours before their post shows up does not seem a big problem for me. Have there been any legitimate users the last 7 days? I can't find any.
I wonder if it's possible, that if a new user (for example in the first two weeks) wants to post something, it first should be aproved by a moderator, before it's placed. I've been on forums, where even EACH message is checked before it's placed on the forum). This function is already available in the moderationmenu.

Most time "real users" don't have to get answer straight away (they first are looking around). And as soon as a moderator reads his post and approves it, it's readable for everyone (so it's possible, this will happen within an hour).
Once a spammer want to post something, it won't be approved, so he won't see his posts. And even if he'll stay trying, no-one (but the moderators) will read it.

Within this period (in this example 2 weeks, but if necessary this can be a month too) it's obvious which user is a spammer and which are "real users". Than the spammers can get banned, the real users are left and free to post on the forums.
And they're glad too: "Hay, I'm considered more adult now :D ."

You might say: "it's more work to do for the moderators", but that's not so much as it looks.
First: most times the "starters" don't post that many.
Second: deleting spam messages takes work and time, too.
Third: They won't mind spending a bit more work if it's more effective.

What do you think about this?
Eddy - Rotterdam - NL
weblog - EBT-stats 24-05-2013 - hits: 1742 +59 triples +1 quadruple = 1802.

Facebook-profile + Geocaching + postcrossing
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

That is exactly what I'm saying. And I'm sure it will be less work. I'm having a hard time finding a legitimate user between all the spamusers. I'm sure there are more spam messages than normal messages from new users.
And once a user posts a normal message you remove his moderated status.
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

I think what we really need is one or two active, capable forum admins. The existing admins are all inactive (Craco, HNL), not interested (avij) or unable to actually administrate the forum (me).

So if anybody is interested and able to help, let me know.
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter

Return to “Forum feedback”