Coins that look like Euro coins

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Did you ever receive a non-Euro coin as if it was one Euro (or eurocent) coin?

Yes, once.
41%
Yes, a few times.
36%
No, never.
23%

Total votes: 220

zarazek
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Re: Coins that look like Euro coins

Post by zarazek »

I got this coin as change in a shop yesterday. I think the salesperson thought it was a penny and so did I when I accepted it. When I came home, I looked at it and for the first few seconds I thought it was an Irish eurocent. But there was something wrong about it and when I turned it over, I realised how wrong I'd been and that this was actually a remnant of a bygone era :D

I didn't know how to make these pictures links to those I've uploaded full size. They are here:

http://tk8cqg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p ... G_7959.jpg
http://tk8cqg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p ... G_7963.jpg
aanu

Re:

Post by aanu »

jrnsndrs wrote:
bhoeyb wrote:
europaee wrote:... and I recieved twice Bulgarian 1 LEV as 1 Euro
A guy from work has received 1 LEV as 1 Euro coin too this weekend. He asked me what it was.
Had also one once.

Edit: I've been told that the chap on the backside is St. Ivan Rilsky.

I got this coin last week in Helsinki. I didnt know what it was until a driver refused to accept it (as 1 euro). Even he didnt know what it was :)
WOLFINAS
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by WOLFINAS »

New on this line.

I have found some of these coins, and I jave one that has not been seen before:

1 Peso from ¿Colombia? that looks like one 1 € coin...

Found in a bar inside the tobacco machine, so it is very similar to the valid coin. (I getted it for free). Sorry but i can not link one image... already
"De tot molt i de res massa", Josep Espriu, doctor
"De todo mucho y de nada demasiado"
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by R/J »

Is it perhaps an Argentine peso?

Or a Mexican peso?

Both actually look more like €2 coins. There are also other peso named currency, for which I cannot quickly find the coin of 1 peso (and some that have no 1 peso coin, for example the Colombian).
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Emily2011 wrote:Commemorative ones are not standard currency & therefore can only be used in the state they minted in.
Uh, no - commemorative coins are like regular €2 coins, except they have a different obverses that commemorate an event, honors a person/institution etc. The pieces you have in mind are collector coins; those can indeed be used in the issuing member state only. Practically however they are not used at all. :)

Christian
Bollivierke
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Bollivierke »

tabbs wrote:
Emily2011 wrote:Commemorative ones are not standard currency & therefore can only be used in the state they minted in.
Uh, no - commemorative coins are like regular €2 coins, except they have a different obverses that commemorate an event, honors a person/institution etc. The pieces you have in mind are collector coins; those can indeed be used in the issuing member state only. Practically however they are not used at all. :)

Christian
I'd love to get one of those "big" coins as change in the supermarket :lol:
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

Bollivierke wrote:
tabbs wrote:

Christian
Do you want me to send you some Spanish 12€ coins? :P
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
Bollivierke
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Bollivierke »

Jes wrote:
Bollivierke wrote:
tabbs wrote:

Christian
Sorry but I only collect "normal" euro coins (the regular 8 ones). I just think it would be nice to get one in circulation :lol:
(except if you mean sending it totally free then ofcourse go ahead :roll: )
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

Bollivierke wrote:
Jes wrote:
Bollivierke wrote:
tabbs wrote:

Christian
Sorry but I only collect "normal" euro coins (the regular 8 ones). I just think it would be nice to get one in circulation :lol:
(except if you mean sending it totally free then ofcourse go ahead :roll: )
I simply swap coins ;)
Besides: I have never received one of those socalled "big coins" as change, in circulation. Although, I remember that a friend of mine received (lots of years ago) one of them as change: it was a 2000 pesetas coin. (equivalent to the current 12€ coins; in fact, 2000pts=12,01€ and the series of 12€-coins is considered the continuation of the 2000pts-coins series.)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
gatoulis
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by gatoulis »

Hello Jes!! Happy new year my friend!

??? Your friend received a 2000 ptas coin as change??? You mean the silver coin??? WOW!!!
Were these coins made for regular circulation? I mean was there a possibility to find one in circulation???

I was in spain in 1999 but none came in my hands! :( I would had kept it for sure!!!
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

Some time ago at supermarket I received a Croatian 10 lipa instead of 10 cent:

I realize it but I have accepted because the 10 lipa in my coins collection was conserved worse. I have replaced it and I have spold the old coin at the same supermarket like 10 cents :D
European soul, European pride.
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

gatoulis wrote:Hello Jes!! Happy new year my friend!
Happy new year to you too :)
gatoulis wrote:??? Your friend received a 2000 ptas coin as change???
Indeed, that was what happened.
gatoulis wrote:You mean the silver coin???
Yes, it was: the silver coin (btw: silver content of the coin was such, whose value was under 2000pts of course. ;) )
gatoulis wrote:Were these coins made for regular circulation? I mean was there a possibility to find one in circulation???
In theory: those coins were intended to circulation too. (Mainly for collectors, but they were LEGAL TENDER WITHIN SPAIN) Although seldom used. Just like the current 12€ coins made in Silver.
gatoulis wrote:I was in spain in 1999 but none came in my hands!
Neither me: I didn't receive any of those as a change. (Only a friend of mine), as said: those coins were rarely used. Instead, there were 500pts coins, along with 1000pts banknotes and 2000pts banknotes too.
gatoulis wrote: I would had kept it for sure!!!
Me too!! :lol: :mrgreen:
ART wrote:Some time ago at supermarket I received a Croatian 10 lipa instead of 10 cent:

I realize it but I have accepted because the 10 lipa in my coins collection was conserved worse. I have replaced it and I have spold the old coin at the same supermarket like 10 cents :D
Nice story! :D really lucky.
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

Also the Netherlands has some circulation coins of 5 euros, only valid in NL. For more information: http://www.herdenkingsmunt.nl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (in Dutch). Most of them are sold for their face value of 5 euros, of course, a big part of them are sold to collectors, be it the circulation version or the special (and more expensive) collectors version.
gatoulis
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by gatoulis »

Oh! I didn't know that either! If I knew it... I would collect all the 5 euros the Netherlands had! I collect silver coins... so..

Were all 5 euro coins of the Netherlands like that?

I am wondering if austrian silvers were like that too....
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Yes, Austria and also Germany (and neighboring but non-EU) Switzerland have, or used to have, pretty much the same concept. The problem these days is the rising silver price. So the Netherlands went from silver (used until the end of 2007) to Ag-plated copper for the version that you can get at face. Germany still has silver in the €10 collector coins but reduced the silver content from Ag925 (used until the end of 2010) to Ag625.

Austria had €5 pieces which were Ag800, and €10 pieces with Ag925 ... except that the latest €5 issue has just been "frozen". Whether they will reduce the silver content, or change the face value, has not been decided yet. Of course they could simply use some odd face value, like 7.50 or 12.50, since these "collector coins" are exactly that, and not actually used as means of payment. :)

Christian

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”