Coins that look like Euro coins

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Did you ever receive a non-Euro coin as if it was one Euro (or eurocent) coin?

Yes, once.
41%
Yes, a few times.
36%
No, never.
23%

Total votes: 220

vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by vermeer »

Mexican 20 c looks like 10 eurocent, but much thinner.
andro
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by andro »

In Slovenia, it's been a popular sport to use the old 1 tolar coins instead of 20 cents, since some vending machines accepted them. My friend also happened to get one of those in a bar instead of 20c.

(22mm diameter, 1.7mm thick, weigth 4.5g, compared to 20c: 22.25mm diam, 2.14mm thick, weigth 5.74g - I know it's not that close, but sometimes it works :) ).

Value: 0.417 cent.

I also got an interresting coin from my friend from Iran:

500 rial, value 3.95 cent, looks very similar to 2€ (though thinner and lighter, but anyway). But of course this is not something one will be able to find in circulation.
Akajoe
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by Akajoe »

The 2 YTL in Turkey is very similar to the 2 euro coin. Unfortunately the value is not similar at all... :wink:

Furhtermore some pennies in the UK are similar to the 1, 2 and 5 cent coins (just the size and color, I mean)
Scotland the brave!
nickx
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by nickx »

Today I found a coin for 50 ITL (italian liras, no longer valid of course) in my wallet. The only chance of getting it was yesterday evening in a pub, where we sat outside on the terrace and the lights were rather weak (it was quite cold, but since the beginning of August smoking inside is forbidden in Slovenia).

Obviously the waitress gave it to me instaead of 2 €, probably by mistake. I'll make a claim to the owner - the waitress should have noticed the difference, it's a little smaller, thinner and much lighter than 2 € and only in silver metal.
WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by WinstonSmith »

Probably you mean a 500-lira coin, because bimetallic 50-lira coins were never used; the only bimetallic Italian coins were the 500 lire (approximately 25 cents; similar to the 2-euro coin) and the 1000 lire (= 50 cents, and looking similar to the 1-euro coin). The latter was only issued in the late 1990s in the light of the introduction of the euro, so as to accustom people with valuable coins, but the "old" 1000-lire (50 cents) banknote always remained legal tender and was still more common than the coin when the changeover occurred in 2002.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

WinstonSmith wrote:Probably you mean a 500-lira coin, because bimetallic 50-lira coins were never used
Hmm, nickx did not mention bimetallic but wrote "only in silver metal". The 50 lire coins were nickel pieces, I think, so that may be what he got. And the lesson we learn from that? Don't smoke, then you don't have to sit outside where the light is not as bright as inside. :wink:

Christian
nickx
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by nickx »

Yes, Christian, you're right - in both points :D
MetalAtog
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MetalAtog »

tabbs wrote:One time I got one of those 10 baht coins as change. Was about to say something to the clerk but then thought it looked nice, and I kept it. :)

Another coin that is similar to an existing euro denomination is the Turkish 1 lira piece:

The bimetallic look resembles that of the €2 coin, and the Turkish coin is only a little larger. Same thing with the 50 kurus and €1 coins ...

Christian
I have one of those.

Like was said before the brazilian 5 and 10 centavos coins are very usual in Portugal (we have a big brazilian community here). Have seem both coins speacially the 10 centavos.

Another coins I have:

Italian 500 Lira (passed as a 2€)

French 10 centimes (passed as a 0.10€)

British 1 Penny (passed as a 0.05€)

and the most interesting of all... South African 10cents Rand(passed as a 0.05€).

A few days ago I so an urugayan 1 Peso coin that is similar to the 0.10€ coin.
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

non € coins

Post by starcapitan »

To my mother happened to riceive a 1c from U.S.A. :!:
YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
Web Designer della web agency WEDESA :flag-it:
girls legs SUPERFAN
ravestorm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by ravestorm »

A friend of mine received Thai 10 baht (about 0.22€) as change in a bar (instead of 2€ coin)

Last edited by ravestorm on Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
«Io dormirò tranquillo perché so che il mio peggior nemico veglia su di me.»
  • Biondo - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

PLEASE, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Il 19.09.2013 ho scritto: Comicerò a cambiare atteggiamento da ora in poi, quindi che il forum non si lamenti se da ora in avanti verranno prese misure drastiche.
yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli »

Last summer I reveiced an old 2 pfennig coin in a shop in Germany. I spotted it right away, and didn't except the coin.

ImageImage

values around 1 eurocent en 2 eurocent
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

yli wrote:Last summer I reveiced an old 2 pfennig coin in a shop in Germany.
Oh, that is worth a whopping 1.02 cent. :wink:

The size of that 2 pf coin (Ø 19.25 mm) is close to that of the 2 ct coin (18.75 mm). And the US 1 cent piece that starcapitan mentioned (19.05 mm) is about the same. I hope the latter two will soon be discontinued like the 2 pf piece. :roll:

Christian
svendowney
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by svendowney »

last week a barman gave me 10 centavos Mexico instead of 10 eurocent.
I didn't accept it
ravestorm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by ravestorm »

MetalAtog wrote:British 1 Penny (passed as a 0.05€)
Right today I also received a British 1 Penny instead of 0.05 € coin

«Io dormirò tranquillo perché so che il mio peggior nemico veglia su di me.»
  • Biondo - Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo

PLEASE, DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Il 19.09.2013 ho scritto: Comicerò a cambiare atteggiamento da ora in poi, quindi che il forum non si lamenti se da ora in avanti verranno prese misure drastiche.
jrnsndrs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by jrnsndrs »

bhoeyb wrote:
europaee wrote:... and I recieved twice Bulgarian 1 LEV as 1 Euro
A guy from work has received 1 LEV as 1 Euro coin too this weekend. He asked me what it was.
Had also one once.

Edit: I've been told that the chap on the backside is St. Ivan Rilsky.

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”