Euro notes from the ATMs

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Iori_Yagami
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Re: Euro notes from the ATMs

Post by Iori_Yagami »

Yeah, I really hate that you can't withdraw :note-5: . What if I have less than :note-10: remaining? Go to the bank, and if its closed, go suck your finger or whatever. Previously ATM gave out 5 Lats when :flag-lv: still had Lats (LVL) and 5 Lats was the lowest denom banknote. (It was a bit more valuable than euro though, about 7 euros, or 9.50 dollars).
Funny how ATM which take banknotes in accept :note-5: without problems.
Well, I guess for rest of Europe :note-5: is not a lot of money, so they don't care? :wink: Or maybe you don't drain whole account into cash stack on salary day? Well, internet/Mastercard payments are useful.
Unrelated, but similar - coffee machines which do not accept 1 and 2 cent coins. Previously they did, and I used them as a good tiny coin disposal tool - after 5 minutes of tossing coins in, relax with a cup of (poor artificially tasting :D ) coffee. Now I can't do that - they replaced coin mechanisms, minumum coin is 5c now. :?
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Iori_Yagami wrote:Yeah, I really hate that you can't withdraw :note-5: . What if I have less than :note-10: remaining? Go to the bank, and if its closed, go suck your finger or whatever. Previously ATM gave out 5 Lats when :flag-lv: still had Lats (LVL) and 5 Lats was the lowest denom banknote. (It was a bit more valuable than euro though, about 7 euros, or 9.50 dollars).
Funny how ATM which take banknotes in accept :note-5: without problems.
Well, I guess for rest of Europe :note-5: is not a lot of money, so they don't care? :wink: Or maybe you don't drain whole account into cash stack on salary day? Well, internet/Mastercard payments are useful.
Unrelated, but similar - coffee machines which do not accept 1 and 2 cent coins. Previously they did, and I used them as a good tiny coin disposal tool - after 5 minutes of tossing coins in, relax with a cup of (poor artificially tasting :D ) coffee. Now I can't do that - they replaced coin mechanisms, minumum coin is 5c now. :?
In Finland (at least most of) ATMs give just :note-20: and :note-50: . I understand that it's much easier to put just big notes to ATM, cause you have to put much more notes in if there are also smaller notes, and notes run out faster from ATMs. But in Estonia, it's still possible to withdraw also fivers.

Most coin automats that I've seen don't accept even 5 (some either 10) cent coins. That's really a good place to use your small coins. :lol:
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

As far as I know, the only countries that don't have :note-5: in any ATM are:
  • Cyprus
  • Finland
  • Greece
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Malta
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
All others have at least a few machines that stil yield :note-5:

(I actually don't know about what happens regarding this on any of the microstates — Andorra, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican — nor in Montenegro or Kosovo.)
the_pooh_tripper
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by the_pooh_tripper »

In Switzerland, one bank (Bank Migros) offers :note-5: in ATM but only up to 50 euros.
sandy-bridge
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by sandy-bridge »

Most ATMs of my bank LHV :flag-ee: offer :note-5: :note-20: :note-50: . My other bank (Swedbank) usually has :note-10: :note-20: :note-50: , sometimes :note-5: . Does anyone happen to know if there are any ATMs in :flag-ee: which offer :note-100: ?
RKPLt
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by RKPLt »

That may be useful for those, who will come in September ;)
"4 banks" ATM's have :note-5: :note-10: :note-20: :note-50: and have a programmed amounts for any sum, you ask. You need to choose "Another amount" there. (4 banks had made an agreement to use the mutual ATM net, and so they have a big spread everywhere)
Swedbank ATM's are of 3 types:
ATM's in the streets, no deposit possibility (4 drawers) : :note-10: :note-20: :note-50: :note-100:
ATM's in shops, older variants (3 drawers only): :note-10: :note-20: :note-100:
ATM's with deposit possibility : :note-10: :note-20: :note-50:
SEB bank ATM's : :note-10: :note-20: :note-50:

"Maxima" shop's self-service checkouts :note-5: :note-10: :note-20: :note-50: in the change.
Iki shop's self-service checkouts are set interesting - one row gives :note-5: and :note-10: in a change (then maximum banknote to pay is :note-100: ), and opposite row gives :note-5: and :note-20: , maximum note is :note-200: . :note-500: you MUST change in the info-kiosk before you start your payment.
Geros medžioklės! / Have a good hunt!
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

RKPLt wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:56 pm That may be useful for those, who will come in September ;)
"4 banks" ATM's have :note-5: :note-10: :note-20: :note-50: and have a programmed amounts for any sum, you ask. You need to choose "Another amount" there. (4 banks had made an agreement to use the mutual ATM net, and so they have a big spread everywhere)
Swedbank ATM's are of 3 types:
ATM's in the streets, no deposit possibility (4 drawers) : :note-10: :note-20: :note-50: :note-100:
ATM's in shops, older variants (3 drawers only): :note-10: :note-20: :note-100:
ATM's with deposit possibility : :note-10: :note-20: :note-50:
SEB bank ATM's : :note-10: :note-20: :note-50:

"Maxima" shop's self-service checkouts :note-5: :note-10: :note-20: :note-50: in the change.
Iki shop's self-service checkouts are set interesting - one row gives :note-5: and :note-10: in a change (then maximum banknote to pay is :note-100: ), and opposite row gives :note-5: and :note-20: , maximum note is :note-200: . :note-500: you MUST change in the info-kiosk before you start your payment.
Thanks for the information! :)
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
Xerxes84
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Xerxes84 »

I will be in Lyon and Madrid in the next few weeks. Does anyone know of banks with ATMs in these cities that give out :note-5: notes?
lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo »

I'm quite confident that there aren't any ATMs delivering fivers in all of Spain.

In France, ATMs in post offices (both inside and outside) used to yield :note-5:. If you read French, check page 28 on this Bulletin Numismatique from 2011. I'm not sure if that is still valid.
romain17
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by romain17 »

Some ATMs can give :note-5: in :flag-fr: but it's very rare !

Some ATMs from the Banque Populaire can give :note-5: but not much ! For example for 15€ : :note-10: :note-5: You can't ask like in :flag-be: or :flag-de: 100€ = 20x :note-5: ....

And for Post Office ATM's it's not possible for all... in my town (not far from Lyon) it's possible in any office!!
The best way in :flag-fr: to received :note-5: it's to use some change machine wich are present in lot of bank (you put your bill in the machine and you can take coins rolls or :note-5: ) but if you are not customer you will pay a fee of 1€ for each :note-5: delivered !! Some of these machines in Crédit Mutuel and CIC banks were able for non customer but I don't know if it exist one in Lyon...

To conclude : good luck to found an atm's wich give :note-5: in Lyon !! :lol:
(If you found please report him here :wink: )
Collectionne les pièces euros: http://fr.ucoin.net/uid10580
Profil: https://fr.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=192608
https://dserrano5.es/ebt/ebtst/stats/romain17/
Fier d'être Bressan !!!!!!!!!(Vive le poulet ;) )
Member of Database Working Group !
Français, English, Italiano.
Xerxes84
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Xerxes84 »

Thanks all for the replies. There is a post office near my hotel in Lyon so I'll try to make over there and see if the ATM will give me :note-5:.

In Ireland you can't get :note-5: from ATMs and it can be difficult to find an ATM that will give you :note-10:. The Central Bank of Ireland want more banks to dispense :note-10: from their ATMs but I don't see any progress on that. There's no note selection here either which is annoying. If you take out any amount of money the ATM will give it to you all in :note-50: notes.
Muppetshow
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Muppetshow »

A very interesting topic!
Here in the middle of Germany (Göttingen, Hildesheim, Hannover) you can get 5 Euro notes at all ATMs at the Volksbank and Sparkasse. I haven't tried other banks yet.
Also at almost every ATM you are abled to change money. So for example you can insert 5x :note-100: and choose any amount of any other kind of note until you have reached the amount you inserted (100x :note-5: or 20x :note-20: plus 20x :note-5: or what ever).

It was quite a surprise to me when they installed new ATMs where your also can get :note-100: :note-200: :note-500:. But I rarely get them because it is a lot of money whilst the "notes per hit ratio" is quite poor. So mostly I stick with :note-5: :note-10: :note-20:
lapislazuli_18
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by lapislazuli_18 »

Hi!

Maybe somebody else from Spain has already said this but, talking from my own experience...

BBVA gives only :note-20: & :note-50:. This actually my bank and I am SEVERELY pissed off by the low choice of bills :x
Santander can give you :note-10: , :note-20: & :note-50:. A friend claimed to have extracted a :note-100: from them but I tried withdrawing €250 and got only :note-20: & :note-50: :cry:
Caixabank gives you :note-10: , :note-20: and :note-50:. Also I think Caixabank allows you to choose the exact quantity of bills you want but I am not sure
Sabadell gives :note-10: , :note-20: & :note-50:. I used one once and it stated on the screen something by the lines of "We are sorry for not having any :note-100: at the moment". So maybe they occasionally do have some :note-100: ?
Kutxabank as far as I know gives you :note-10: , :note-20: and :note-50:
Caja Laboral gives you :note-20: & :note-50: and I'm not sure if they give you :note-10: or not.

As for all the other banks I do not now.

In terms of deposits :note-5: , :note-10: , :note-20: , :note-50: , and :note-100: are totally fine. :note-200: are another story and well... You can imagine with :note-500: :D

UPDATE: I got to use a Bankinter ATM which gave 3 x :note-20: when I wanted to withdraw €60. I guess they must have :note-50: as all the other Spanish banks but I have no idea about them having :note-10:
A caballo entre Navarra y el País Vasco
A veces por el resto de la península y el extranjero

El recordar de una determinada imagen no es sino echar de menos un determinado instante, y las caras, los caminos, los paseos, desgraciadamente son tan fugitivos como los años

En busca del tiempo perdido I, Por el camino de Swann
Marcel Proust

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”