hardest to find coins

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Vunono
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Re: hardest to find coins

Post by Vunono »

My father got a Image 2€ 2014 today as change in Algeciras. I told him to keep it for me, hope he doesn't spend it before we meet!
Vunono
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Vunono »

My little cousins usually keep their mother's small coins, and today they let me look through several bags full of hundreds of 1, 2 and 5 cents. It was worth it, as I found a :flag-fi: 2c 2003. How many did actually go into circulation?
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

Vunono wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:32 am How many did actually go into circulation?
I'm not an expert but as far as I know, Finland abandoned the 1 and 2 cent coins a couple of years after the coins came into circulation.
It's a bit like the Dutch 1 and 2 cent coins one can still find in circulation, although of course, the Dutch used those coins much longer than the Finnish :wink:
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

GWR7007 wrote:
Vunono wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:32 am How many did actually go into circulation?
I'm not an expert but as far as I know, Finland abandoned the 1 and 2 cent coins a couple of years after the coins came into circulation.
It's a bit like the Dutch 1 and 2 cent coins one can still find in circulation, although of course, the Dutch used those coins much longer than the Finnish :wink:
Finland never used 1 and 2 cent coins in circulation. Here prices are round to the nearest 5 cent when you pay with cash. I think that if I took 1 and 2 cent coins from bank (which is possible), I would get Finnish ones.

But indeed, they are rare and I think they haven't been put into circulation either in other countries. I found once a :flag-fi: 1 cent coin from a parking lot of a gas station, and spent it in Spain.
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99
romain17
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by romain17 »

Vunono wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:32 am My little cousins usually keep their mother's small coins, and today they let me look through several bags full of hundreds of 1, 2 and 5 cents. It was worth it, as I found a :flag-fi: 2c 2003. How many did actually go into circulation?
Nice :P

:flag-fi: 2c 2003 6 544 000 minted for circulation :wink:
Collectionne les pièces euros: http://fr.ucoin.net/uid10580
Profil: https://fr.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=192608
https://dserrano5.es/ebt/ebtst/stats/romain17/
Fier d'être Bressan !!!!!!!!!(Vive le poulet ;) )
Member of Database Working Group !
Français, English, Italiano.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

romain17 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:21 pm
Vunono wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:32 am My little cousins usually keep their mother's small coins, and today they let me look through several bags full of hundreds of 1, 2 and 5 cents. It was worth it, as I found a :flag-fi: 2c 2003. How many did actually go into circulation?
Nice :P

:flag-fi: 2c 2003 6 544 000 minted for circulation :wink:
It seems that Finnish 1 and 2 cent coins are used in circulation somewhere else, because they have been minted so largely. Maybe in Latvia, because I found a shiny :flag-fi: 1 cent coin 2005 from a floor of Riga airport in front of a kiosk. It looks like almost unused. Although there would be more of them in circulation, it was nice to find it and bring it back to Finland (until I use it somewhere in the world). 8)
Xerxes84
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Xerxes84 »

I got a €1 coin from San Marino here in Cork, Ireland recently. It is most definitely one of the rarest coins I've found here.

I think the hardest to find coins in Ireland are from Slovenia. I've never found any in circulation here. There's no direct flights to Slovenia from Ireland. It was hard enough finding Slovenian coins in Slovenia while I was there but I did manage to bring some back to Ireland with me and spend them here :)

The most common ones I see here are Spanish, Italian, French and German. I'm surprised I don't see as many Latvian and Lithuanian coins here considering the sizable amount of Latvians and Lithuanians living in Ireland. There's also direct flights.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Xerxes84 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:39 pm I got a €1 coin from San Marino here in Cork, Ireland recently. It is most definitely one of the rarest coins I've found here.

I think the hardest to find coins in Ireland are from Slovenia. I've never found any in circulation here. There's no direct flights to Slovenia from Ireland. It was hard enough finding Slovenian coins in Slovenia while I was there but I did manage to bring some back to Ireland with me and spend them here :)

The most common ones I see here are Spanish, Italian, French and German. I'm surprised I don't see as many Latvian and Lithuanian coins here considering the sizable amount of Latvians and Lithuanians living in Ireland. There's also direct flights.
That's indeed rare! :D Probably someone has brought it as a "souvenir" and spent it there.
Xerxes84
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Xerxes84 »

Aatos99 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:29 pm
Xerxes84 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:39 pm I got a €1 coin from San Marino here in Cork, Ireland recently. It is most definitely one of the rarest coins I've found here.

That's indeed rare! :D Probably someone has brought it as a "souvenir" and spent it there.
I'm just back from Andorra (spent a few hours there) and that's what I did. Andorran coins were very hard to find. Not surprisingly most of the coins were French and Spanish. I only got about 3 Andorran coins. I got 2 two cent coins straight out of a roll at a supermarket and 1 two euro coin. They're circulating around Cork at the moment. I did buy a full Andorran coin set as well which I kept :D
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Xerxes84 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:34 pm
Aatos99 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:29 pm

I'm just back from Andorra (spent a few hours there) and that's what I did. Andorran coins were very hard to find. Not surprisingly most of the coins were French and Spanish. I only got about 3 Andorran coins. I got 2 two cent coins straight out of a roll at a supermarket and 1 two euro coin. They're circulating around Cork at the moment. I did buy a full Andorran coin set as well which I kept :D
Nice! :D That's what I also often do on my trips, try to use as much Finnish coins as possible there and bring the local ones back home.
zeusdias
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by zeusdias »

Don't be surprised about slovenian coins. I think that they are quite rare in the most euro countries. I have found in circulation here in Greece only 3 or 4 times the 50 cents slovenian coin, just once the 20 cents slovenian coin and absolutely nothing of the other coins of Slovenia since 2007, the year of Slovenia's entry in eurozone.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

I'm all for optimism, but please...
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

Montgomery Burns wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:46 pm Image

I'm all for optimism, but please...
I had to look again when I saw the first price (because I have one) :lol: But maybe that one in your picture will stay on it's seller (at that price).
Xerxes84
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Xerxes84 »

zeusdias wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Don't be surprised about slovenian coins. I think that they are quite rare in the most euro countries. I have found in circulation here in Greece only 3 or 4 times the 50 cents slovenian coin, just once the 20 cents slovenian coin and absolutely nothing of the other coins of Slovenia since 2007, the year of Slovenia's entry in eurozone.
Speaking of Slovenian coins I got my first ever Slovenian coin in change outside of Slovenia. I got a 10 cent coin from a ticket machine in a subway station in Madrid.
MacMac
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by MacMac »

Hello everyone!

It seems that I'm currently going through an extreme lucky strike this month.

Here is what I found (beside a load of more common coins) just in August :

2€ Monaco 2017 (pharmacy in Toulouse)
50c Vatican 2012 (in my mother-in-law's spare coins, North-Eastern France)
1c and 50c Andorra 2017 and 2018 respectively (restaurant in Toulouse)
1c, 2c, 5c San Marino 2006 (from my aunt's collection doubles)
My aunt also gave me a 2€ Greece 2003 (550,000 minted) and the 1c, 2c and 5c Slovenia (2007) that I was missing.
Also a 10c Lithuania in circulation in Alsace, France.

What a time to collect coins! :)

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”