Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Importing coins

Post by Fjon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:44 am

Just read this:
http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlidauidmh/

I didn't know that countries imported coins from other countries - I thought it was just notes.
Pity the coins won't have a Finnish side on them :lol:
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

debemaks
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Importing coins

Post by debemaks » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:50 am

Well I'm not sure they won't be with the dragon... in 2003 and 2004 Italy got many 1c and 2c and 10c from Austria... and they was Austrian Coins not italian coins... so maybe we will have once again 1c and 2c from Finland on the market?!?!? Let's hope so forthe collectors!!!! :mrgreen:
I collect and swap 2€ CC, PM for swap!!!!
Do you like card fighting games? Try this one!!
www.palerici.it - Skype: debemaks - my NIG stats
my EBTST stats
File NIG codes_italy_comuni.txt ver45 update 21/01/2013

Fjon
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Fjon » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Hehe, that would be cool!
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:47 pm

Fjon wrote:Just read this:
http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhqlidauidmh/

I didn't know that countries imported coins from other countries - I thought it was just notes.
Pity the coins won't have a Finnish side on them :lol:
Well, the first Greek coins were minted in Finland, as well.
Which resulted in the funny side effect that a part of the Greek coins said Suomi Finland on their side because someone in the mint first forgot to change the form :D
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:47 am

Strange that the Finnish mint bids for a job to produce one and two cent coins when they actually don't produce them any more for the Finnish market at all. Maybe they still have loads of them on stock? Which would mean they got the Finnish look. :wink:

Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:52 pm

I guess that could happen... though they are not in circulation you can get 1+2c rolls at the finish national bank on request.
Probably something similar happened when the Netherlands started to take 5c as the lowest denomination in circulation, at least I found many mint dutch 1+2c-coins in german circulation (mostly with 2004-date) since then.

Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:01 pm

The mint is probably still techically capable of minting 1c and 2c coins. Knowing that 13 our of the 15 Euroland countries still use the tiny cents, it wouldn't make much sense completely trashing the possibilities of minting those things. I don't think it came as a surprise to the mint that they could mint coins for other countries, as well. And besides, even if the mint was never capable of minting 1c and 2c coins (which is untrue), it would still probably make sense installing the required devices afterwards, if you they get a well-paid job to do. After all, because of 5c coins they will need to support that type of coins anyway.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:05 am

Dakkus wrote:The mint is probably still techically capable of minting 1c and 2c coins.
The Finnish Mint is certainly capable of minting them. After all, it does mint such low value coins ... a few million pieces every year. See this table:
http://www.bof.fi/en/setelit_ja_kolikot ... maarat.htm
("Number of minted Finnish coins")

Right, those figures are considerably lower than the 1+2 ct output of most other euro mints. But they are higher than what you would expect if those pieces were made for collectors only ...

Christian

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”