Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

gatoulis
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Luxemburg banknotes

Post by gatoulis » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:49 pm

Hello! :)

Probably it is been asked again but I can not find it...

I know that Luxemburg is not using its own code letter but they are using other.... meaning.. they are ordering euro notes for them but these notes have the code letter of the country who makes the notes for Luxemburg!

I wanted to know if there are 5 euro notes like that for Luxemburg and how to identify them.... Is there a special code, something in the serial...

Are there 10 euros too?

I have a 20 euro note that I think it is from there... with serial L261.... and small code H006C2!

I hope I can find a 5 euro note from Lux! :)

R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Luxemburg banknotes

Post by R/J » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:34 pm

In another topic, there is a reasonably complete list of the Luxembourg banknotes.

But, since this topic now exists, I think it's a good idea to put the info here and update if necessary. Such updates would be infrequent (yearly), but this is IMHO the best place for it.

Source: http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/viewto ... 52#p701452" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

List:
2010 - :note-20: I think I have read somewhere, that they will be again printed by G.
2009 - :note-20: printed by G; serial will begin with P, F, G or H (or who knows R?!!, but likely impossible to determine)
2008 - :note-20: printer H, 13,3 million -> H006/L260-261
2007 - :note-100: printer G, 9,6 million -> only the G008/P0600-P0626 (The Netherlands also printed in 2007, G008-G009/P0251-0528)
2006 - :note-100: printer H, 10,2 million -> H002/L230-233 (H001 (L220-227) printed for Finland in 2004)
2005 - :note-500: printer F, 4,8 million -> F002/N (note that in 2010, Austria will print more :note-500:)
2004 - :note-500: printer R, 1,9 million -> R/X (Germany also printed R/X in 2004, so impossible to determine)
2003 - :note-200: printer R, 1,9 million -> R/X (Germany also printed R/X in 2003, so impossible to determine)
2002 - :note-100: printer D, 30 million -> D001/L112-L128 (the D002/L (+ a few sheets of D001 that remained) for Finland in 2003 (23million) (L129-L141))

For the introduction, they signed contracts with G and R (only for the :note-10: ) for 46 million notes in total:
:note-5: 6 million G/P
:note-10: 3 million R/X
:note-20: 13 million G/P
:note-50: 11 million G/P
:note-100: 3 million G/P
:note-200: 2 million G/P
:note-500: 8 million F/N (due to an agreement between G and F to pool the production of the :note-200: and the :note-500:)

In reaction to gatoulis' first post: yes, you are correct with your Luxembourgian :note-20:, but its is most likely impossible to find a :note-5: Luxembourgian and know you have one.
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.

yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:45 pm

I don't have much notes tracked in Luxembourg (262 - all received in 2007), but I have received same UNC notes.

2007 :note-50: R/X301

As for :note-5: I have some notes with the same 5 numbers at the start ... but I am not a serialnumber expert.

:note-5: E/L084** 2/3 Luxembourg (2007) other :flag-be: (2007)
:note-5: E/L084* 2/20 Luxembourg (2007) other :flag-be: / :flag-nl: (2007-2010)
:note-5: E/L084 2/205 Luxembourg (2007)

:note-5: U/M123** 2/3 Luxembourg (2007) other :flag-be: (2007)
:note-5: U/M123* 2/21 Luxembourg (2007) other :flag-be: / :flag-nl: (2007-2010)
:note-5: U/M123 2/143 Luxembourg (2007)

:note-5: L/U064** 2/2 Luxembourg (2007)
:note-5: L/U064* 2/5 Luxembourg (2007) other :flag-nl: (2005) and :flag-be: (2007)

:note-5: L/U114** 2/2 Luxembourg (2007)
:note-5: L/U114* 2/4 Luxembourg (2007) other :flag-be: (2007,2009)

:note-5: L/U162** 3/4 Luxembourg (2007) other :flag-sk: (2009)
:note-5: L/U162* 3/6 Luxembourg (2007) other :flag-nl: (2007), :flag-sk: (2009), :flag-de: (2010)

:note-5: L009xx/U 5/120 Luxembourg (2007)
:note-5: L017xx/U 17/74 Luxembourg (2007)
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:

gatoulis
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by gatoulis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:32 am

Oh! Thank you my friends! :D

Hmm... there are many... so I am wondering... why they do not use their own letter code.. even once! Why they took it?? :?:

Ok and other countries took their letter but they do not use the euro right now! So.. when they do.... they will use their letter! What is wrong with Luxembourg??

yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:07 pm

Just a tiny law that the head of state (the grand duke) must be on the luxembourgian money. On coins it's no problem, but if there will be R-notes the grand duke must be on it. And the design of all euronotes are the same. I don't know if the whole eurozone is waiting for notes with grand duke Henri on it :wink:
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:

melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:39 am

yli wrote:Just a tiny law that the head of state (the grand duke) must be on the luxembourgian money. On coins it's no problem, but if there will be R-notes the grand duke must be on it. And the design of all euronotes are the same. I don't know if the whole eurozone is waiting for notes with grand duke Henri on it :wink:
cant they just change this law - as it is no longer applicable

R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by R/J » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:06 pm

melitikus wrote:
yli wrote:Just a tiny law that the head of state (the grand duke) must be on the luxembourgian money. On coins it's no problem, but if there will be R-notes the grand duke must be on it. And the design of all euronotes are the same. I don't know if the whole eurozone is waiting for notes with grand duke Henri on it :wink:
The law is still applicable. Perhaps it could be changed to only count for coins and not banknotes. But this is, of course, up to the people (EBT'ers and banknote collectors) of Luxembourg.

I heard a similar Dutch law (coins only) was changed so that it did not count for €2 commemorative coins.
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.

Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:51 am

R/J wrote:
melitikus wrote:
The law is still applicable. Perhaps it could be changed to only count for coins and not banknotes. But this is, of course, up to the people (EBT'ers and banknote collectors) of Luxembourg.

I heard a similar Dutch law (coins only) was changed so that it did not count for €2 commemorative coins.
I once read that Estonia will have to change the law too, for similar reasons. (I think it was Estonia)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)

gatoulis
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by gatoulis » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Estonia??? I do not think any of the Baltic states have a king or something!

I am surprised with Luxembourg! why they didn't change this law?? they knew that euros couldn't have the face of kings or historic people on them! So why... they took even a letter? Of course... even other countries took a letter for banknotes without even entering in the euro zone, but...

I hope they will change it soon! To have it for your coins it is ok but since there are no luxembourgian notes anymore and only EU notes with code letters for the country....

Hmm... Netherlands probably changed it a long time ago.. if they had it too! I am always talking about banknotes! :)

Is this one of the reasons UK didn't want euros too??? I mean... in that way... Elizabeth couldn't be in the banknotes! So... UK would had banknotes without the Queens head, but many of the british comonwealth countries would still have her on their banknotes!!!

Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:11 pm

gatoulis wrote:Estonia??? I do not think any of the Baltic states have a king or something!
It is not that, the issue is that the law of Estonia says that the might of producing money is exclusive to its central bank. That would mean that notes and coins produced in other EU-countries wouldn't be legal tender in Estonia. That is why they have (or had) to change the law. Nothing to do with the unexisting kings
:P
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)

debemaks
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by debemaks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:18 pm

I know for sure that in Polish coins is a must on one side to have the polish eagle, by law. But I think that they will ammend such rule before joining the euro; as a matter of fact they are already considering some of the themes to put on them (Solidarność and the Pope Jan Pawel II on top of the list).
I collect and swap 2€ CC, PM for swap!!!!
Do you like card fighting games? Try this one!!
www.palerici.it - Skype: debemaks - my NIG stats
my EBTST stats
File NIG codes_italy_comuni.txt ver45 update 21/01/2013

Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:35 am

gatoulis wrote:So why... they took even a letter?
They didn't take a letter. A letter was given to them.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

doiknow
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by doiknow » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:04 pm

yli wrote:[...]I don't know if the whole eurozone is waiting for notes with grand duke Henri on it :wink:
I am still waiting for them. What about introducing euronotes with a common and a national side?
One Currency, one Union, one Eurobilltracker...
My dots are of the same order as 10.

Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:59 am

doiknow wrote: What about introducing euronotes with a common and a national side?
Whatta mess! :x :lol:

gatoulis
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by gatoulis » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:25 pm

doiknow wrote:
yli wrote:[...]I don't know if the whole eurozone is waiting for notes with grand duke Henri on it :wink:
I am still waiting for them. What about introducing euronotes with a common and a national side?
I am afraid that this would bring huge problems! Just imagine...
let's say there are 20 different 20 euros banknote designs! Now... you will know all of them just because you collect them.. but not everyone is a collector! Many old men and women will not even understand if they are euros or not! So they may get fooled by others! Here, in the first year of the euros, Northern greece had a problem with that! some "clever" guys, were giving bulgarian 20 leva banknotes and they were saying to old men that they were the bulgarian euros! Many got fooled!!!

So can you imagine what may happen if we have so many different designs? And... what about if other countries start making banknotes that look like euros??? I think azerbaijan's new notes are like euros!

Now.. an other thing is that if there are still situations with euro coins and coins from other countries that look like euros... can you imagine the loss if this will be in banknotes too.. where the value is higher? some guys may even produce fantasy pieces and pass them as real!!!

I believe that something nice would be to keep the same design in all notes (I do not mean the design we have now... I mean no each country to have her own design in banknotes!), and change the code letter in the serial numbers and... why not... make them hybrid notes with a see throw window! or put a tiny hologram of a country's symbol on it. Each country can put a symbol building ... for example...Greece - parthenon, France - Eifel tower...... 8) Or... they can do both! :lol:

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”