Luxemburg banknotes

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

User avatar
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3773
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Madrid, ES

Re: Luxemburg banknotes

Post by dserrano5 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:26 pm

gatoulis wrote:Here, in the first year of the euros, Northern greece had a problem with that! some "clever" guys, were giving bulgarian 20 leva banknotes and they were saying to old men that they were the bulgarian euros! Many got fooled!!!
The government is responsible for making sure that their citizens know how their new currency will look like.

In Spain, we were properly(*) informed about the common and national sides of the new coins. I'm sure that, should the same thing happen to notes, we would be equally informed about that.
gatoulis wrote:And... what about if other countries start making banknotes that look like euros??? I think azerbaijan's new notes are like euros!
That would be actually worse with one design for the whole eurozone. Now they could be misused all around Europe, but if there were different designs by country, that could only happen in one of them.
gatoulis wrote:Now.. an other thing is that if there are still situations with euro coins and coins from other countries that look like euros... can you imagine the loss if this will be in banknotes too.. where the value is higher? some guys may even produce fantasy pieces and pass them as real!!!
I find it hard to believe that the ECB would let that happen.


(*) This is my personal opinion.

User avatar
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4932
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Away from home (once again)
Contact:

Re: Luxemburg banknotes

Post by Jes » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:56 pm

dserrano5 wrote:
gatoulis wrote:And... what about if other countries start making banknotes that look like euros??? I think azerbaijan's new notes are like euros!
That would be actually worse with one design for the whole eurozone. Now they could be misused all around Europe, but if there were different designs by country, that could only happen in one of them.
Disagree. Look what actually happens with Euro coins: Foreign currencies (whose coins are similar to our euro coins) are taken by mistake anywhere accross the EU, not just in 1 country.

If you see a "strange" design, you may think: Ok. just some euro from other country.

Why do you want different designs? :o we already have different serials and short codes! :D (and this way is easier to old people who may not understand what the h#ll is going on (just my opinion :P ) The different letters on serial Nrs are like the "stamps" mentioned by gatoulis. (btw: γατούλης ? :o )

I agrree with him, although I recently come to know (thanks to Angelino) that Polymer banknotes are an invention under patent law ( 8O :!: ) thus these notes can be printed only in certain places (the ones which have the right to do it of course). Besides, those places are not within the EU. I would like haveing polymer -or hybrid- €-bills, however, I think it will last a few years before we might see that. (If we actually see it!)
debemaks wrote:I know for sure that in Polish coins is a must on one side to have the polish eagle, by law. But I think that they will ammend such rule before joining the euro; as a matter of fact they are already considering some of the themes to put on them (Solidarność and the Pope Jan Pawel II on top of the list).
Interesting... :) I am eager to hold those Polish coins, potentially with the (old) Pope on them. That way I will be able to FINALLY fill up the gaps currently existing on my euro album! ... The ones which correspond to Vatican Euro coins! (Just kidding :P )

BTW, we're getting off topic... (just slightly off topic :roll: )
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)

gatoulis
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 7:11 pm
Location: Greece - Rhodes

Re: Luxemburg banknotes

Post by gatoulis » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:12 pm

I know that it is the goverment's job to inform dserrano5, but there are old people in villages, some didn't even went to a school because of the hard times, the WWII, the civil war later... because they were very poor and had to work...

So... maybe the majority of the people in a country were informed well, but there is not a possibility that all had the same stage of info! and that goes for all EU countries! And of course I am talking about the first year of euros! At that time things were a little complicated!
you are in country that your neighbor countries were in euro zome too! We were alone here! we had many fake euro notes from coming from a neibour country! except that, in some of the money of other countries, the color of the notes and the metal strip was very similar to the euros, so...

Even in coins there were problems! Many old men do not know english or the latin alphabet! things in Spain would had been better because you use the latin alphabet... if EU was using only greek or Cyrillic alphabet??? then you would realise the problem! We do not even say "cents" but "lepta"! :lol:

Do not forget that you were in the zone from 1999, but we were the last country to enter before 2002 and the goverment was in a rush! They did the best they could and almost all were informed (I still have some leaflets, cards etc..) but if old men do not want to hear about them.. they were saying that they prefered drachmas etc? Old minds need more time to get used to something new! :wink:

and... if we still have situations with people that are fooled and receive euro coins that are not ....

Jes!! How are you my friend?? :lol: Yes! it is γατουλης (male kitten) in a sweet way in the greek language! :)

hmm... Polish euros will be interesting but I am wondering if the head of the previous Pope will take the ok to be on them! I am saying this because the head was already on the Vatican coins! I know that they were not in circulation but maybe because they used it first....

User avatar
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3773
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:59 am
Location: Madrid, ES

Re: Luxemburg banknotes

Post by dserrano5 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Jes wrote:
dserrano5 wrote:Now they could be misused all around Europe, but if there were different designs by country, that could only happen in one of them.
Disagree. Look what actually happens with Euro coins: Foreign currencies (whose coins are similar to our euro coins) are taken by mistake anywhere accross the EU, not just in 1 country.
I'm sure there was a coherent reasoning behind my words, I'm just unable to recall it right now :roll:. This is how my brain works, sorry!
Jes wrote:Why do you want different designs? :o we already have different serials and short codes! :D
I don't. As you say, short codes, serials and their combinations are already fun enough :).

And to stay on topic, I'd like to mention in this thread that I've had one of those :note-20: H006/L260 :).

User avatar
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2300
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 12:04 pm
Location: Eindhoven & omgeving, Nederland

Re: Luxemburg banknotes

Post by R/J » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:45 pm

This is an update to the reasonably complete list of the Luxembourg banknotes.

Original source: http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/viewto ... 52#p701452" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

List:
2011 - :note-5: and :note-20: Pooled again together with CY, MT, NL, SI, SK, FI. If this is again an extension of last year E will print the :note-5: and G the :note-20:, but they'll be indistinguishable.
2010 - :note-20: printer G; extension of last year, now also including SK notes.
2009 - :note-20: printer G, 1,32 million -> Indistinguishable from the normal notes with P, F, G or H.
2008 - :note-20: printer H, 13,2 million -> H006/L260-261
2007 - :note-100: printer G, 9,6 million -> G008/P0600-P0626 (The Netherlands also printed in 2007, G008-G009/P0251-0528)
2006 - :note-100: printer H, 10,2 million -> H002/L230-233 (H001 (L220-227) printed for Finland in 2004)
2005 - :note-500: printer F, 4,8 million -> F002/N (note that in 2010, Austria will print more :note-500:)
2004 - :note-500: printer R, 1,9 million -> R/X (Germany also printed R/X in 2004, so impossible to determine)
2003 - :note-200: printer R, 1,9 million -> R/X (Germany also printed R/X in 2003, so impossible to determine)
2002 - :note-100: printer D, 30 million -> D001/L112-L128 (the D002/L (+ a few sheets of D001 that remained) for Finland in 2003 (23million) (L129-L141))

For the introduction, they signed contracts with G and R (only for the :note-10: ) for 46 million notes in total:
:note-5: 6 million G/P
:note-10: 3 million R/X
:note-20: 13 million G/P
:note-50: 11 million G/P
:note-100: 3 million G/P
:note-200: 2 million G/P
:note-500: 8 million F/N (due to an agreement between G and F to pool the production of the :note-200: and the :note-500:)

For 2009 production: In 2009, the BCL was in charge of the production of €26.44 million worth of €20 banknotes for the Eurosystem's needs.

And I didn't realise it before now, but should the original production of :note-500: be F/Ps?

@ 2005: Are there new Austrian :note-500:s already?
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.

Post Reply

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”