DE: Who will print the euro notes?

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

DE: Who will print the euro notes?

Post by tabbs » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:09 pm

Euro notes issued by the German Bundesbank may soon be printed in France (by Oberthur) or the Netherlands (by Enschedé). With that decision, the Bundesbank will basically do what some small Eurosystem central banks do too - give the print job to whichever company makes the best offer (call for tenders). According to an article in the business newspaper "Handelsblatt", the two affected German printers (Bundesdruckerei and Giesecke & Devrient), particularly the works councils, are against this new procedure. After all, in many other euro countries the banknote printing market is not exactly open ...

http://www.handelsblatt.com/finanzen/de ... ro;2636371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Article in German)

Christian

dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: DE: Who will print the euro notes?

Post by dserrano5 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:09 am

At the very least, we already have G/X :note-10: and E/X :note-200: (i.e. from France and the Netherlands, as you say).
Last edited by dserrano5 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:10 am

dupe, sorry

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Actually my own initial post was a duplicate, sort of, as well. :) Later I noticed this topic in the German board:
http://forum.eurobilltracker.com/viewto ... 10&t=20492" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically I think this is a step in the right direction - assuming the quality is the same, the notes should be produced where it costs less to make them. Problem is that the market seems to be "slanted"; hope that will change by 2012 we will have fair competition, as far as bank note production is concerned, in all euro area member states.

What I also found interesting in the article is the reference to the new machines that G&D and Bundesdruckerei invested in, for the "new generation" of euro notes. I thought the first new notes were to come next year, but that issue seems to be "asleep" these days ...

Christian

maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by maarsy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:09 pm

a new combination is interesting but why spend the contract out when u have what u need closer at hand

look what happend to finland

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:28 pm

maarsy wrote:a new combination is interesting but why spend the contract out when u have what u need closer at hand
From where I am (on the Rhine), Amsterdam and Haarlem (Joh. Enschedé) are "closer" than Berlin, Leipzig or Munich. :)

Besides, while we could argue about the "timing" - is it useful to apply this call for tenders procedure now, or should we wait another year? 2012 is the "deadline" anyway; as from that time, all countries with a competitive banknote printing system will apply it. So printing companies from member states that give their note printing jobs to domestic companies only should, in my opinion, not be allowed to participate. But if the Dutch central bank equally gives its printing jobs to whichever company makes the best offer, why should a "Dutch" printer not make "German" notes?

Christian

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”