Less and less foreign coins

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Did you encounter less or more foreign coins in the last time?

less than before
24%
constant
38%
more than before
38%

Total votes: 21

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Less and less foreign coins

Post by micro »

It seems to become more and more difficult to find foreign coins at my place. Masses of people obviously have discovered around early spring 2002 that there are coins that differ in design and then started collecting them. Shopkeepers say that they encounter less foreign coins now than in February.
wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by wouter »

I don't have that problem, when i have some coins there mostly are some foreign among them most german and belgium
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb »

More and more, I'm sure. I'm getting more and more foreign coins, mostly from Holland and Germany, sometimes France and Italy. About 20 % or something. Today, my first Portugese 20 cent coin (in Belgium) at the bakery :D I think most people have the euro's from most common countries (D, NL, F) and they don't take them out of circulation for their collections anymore.
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by airis »

Hi!
It´s been a big surprise for me how difficult it is to get foreign coins here in Finland. In my hometown Rovaniemi I see foreign tourists every day, so I expected it to be easy to get different eurocoins. So far I have got only one German 20 cent.
Once I saw some tourists paying with Belgian coins. I was next, but I was unlucky. The cashier gave me only Finnish coins as a change. :(

It`s been much easier to get foreign euronotes. I have got 13 foreign notes from a total 167 .

It seems that Finns collect all foreign eurocoins they get. Notes travel easier. People don´t even know about foreign euronotes.

Arctic circle and Santa Claus Village are only 6 km away. There are more tourists. It seems I have to visit there more often, if I want to get any new coins.
I once got a Greek note from there. :)
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Donald »

Touristic places are always more likely to concentrate foreign coins. I also observed that McDonalds has lots of foreign coins.

In early March I paid with foreign coins at McDonalds in Leipzig, which is at the rim of Euroland. The cashier was very pleased to see these coins, but she told me that the personnel are not allowed to replace foreign coins with German coins, so they cannot collect them.

I think this is not nice of McDonalds, but it improves the chance to get foreign coins there, because the personnel do not take them out of circulation.
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by BossaNova »

Donald wrote:
I think this is not nice of McDonalds, but it improves the chance to get foreign coins there, because the personnel do not take them out of circulation.
working in Mc Donalds it's really slavery! I thought that only happen in Portugal... guess not...
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

bhoeyb wrote:More and more, I'm sure. I'm getting more and more foreign coins, mostly from Holland and Germany, sometimes France and Italy. About 20 % or something.
Lucky you, in my place it's less than 1%, I'm sure!

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”