Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Common currency=inflation?

Post by pinguino79 » Fri May 31, 2002 11:26 pm

Hi!
There have been recently some discussion here; it seems that most shop owners exploited the currency-switch and increased prices too much.
The same situation was experienced in Germany (euro->teuro), but not in Holland and France, where shop owners have been kept under control.
What's your experience?
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.

Mr Euro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Mr Euro » Fri May 31, 2002 11:37 pm

I think it's a lot of blabla. Prices change every year! Now everybody waited or anticipated with the Euro otherwise they had to change the pricetags/menucards/... twice. Above all are some price changes (like pe insurance) a result of the september 11 event. More costs for the producers which gives a higher price for the consumer.

pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by pinguino79 » Fri May 31, 2002 11:43 pm

I never seen it from this point of view.
I thought this was more a transition moment, rising to "psychological prices" (the ones ending in .99); things will adjust soon, anyway.
Same thing happened when UK got decimal; the most annoying thing about this is that now the initial enthusiasm brought by the introduction of the euro is starting to decrease :cry:
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:31 pm

The German government had ignored it for a long time, but now it's confirmed by official studies: Inflation rose from 1.7 to 4.8 percent in the first three months of 2002 in Germany due to euro introduction. Businesses misused the euro introduction to raise prices dramatically. Their common excuse is that they had to compensate expenses from the introduction procedure. But I think the free economy will level out everything: People simply spend less at expensive shops.

PS. Thanks for the postcard, Nicola! If I had got it before my trip, I would have sent you a postcard from abroad in reply... so maybe next time...

Stefan
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Stefan » Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:43 pm

In supermarkets and shops like that it's not so bad, but other businesses do abuse the introduction to raise prices dramatically. There are even people that just replace the guilder sign with the euro sign! That makes it 2,2 times as expensive!
I just hope they'll get forced to lower the prices again by the competition soon...
May the Euro be with you.

Post by Guest » Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:24 pm

Stefan wrote:...There are even people that just replace the guilder sign with the euro sign!...
And those shopowners who mark their sales with price tags like "Formerly: 49.99, now: 9.99"... Because they don't provide a currency unit, they can now let everything look like a sale. I really saw price tags saying in big red letters: "Formerly: 10.00, now: 5.10", that's exactly the DEM/euro rate!

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:26 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Stefan wrote:...There are even people that just replace the guilder sign with the euro sign!...
And those shopowners who mark their sales with price tags like "Formerly: 49.99, now: 9.99"... Because they don't provide a currency unit, they can now let everything look like a sale. I really saw price tags saying in big red letters: "Formerly: 10.00, now: 5.10", that's exactly the DEM/euro rate!
That was me, I forgot to login!

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”