Are the banknotes beautiful

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Do you like the design of the euro banknotes?

Yes, absolutely, I love them!
26%
Yes, they are rather good, but could be better somehow...
49%
Well, they are just ordinary as any other banknotes.
6%
No, they are rather dull. Old ones were better.
20%
No way, they are awful, I hate to see them!
No votes

Total votes: 35

Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Are the banknotes beautiful

Post by Craft »

zz
Last edited by Craft on Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Re: Are the banknotes beautiful

Post by BossaNova »

Craft wrote:Do you like the euro banknotes design, or did you expect they were better?

I you are not pleased with them, why?
I expected something better, they are very poor in motifs.. I like the colors, vivid, but old escudos already were that..

and had a much richer design.. even poems they had..

but of course it would not be possible to write poems on the common currency, unless it was in europanto :wink:
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Are the banknotes beautiful

Post by Craft »

zz
Last edited by Craft on Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Tiger »

What make the Belgian notes so beautiful ? :)
well, they weren't THAT colorful, just a little :D

I think they rather sucked :)
I like the Euros much better than the old belgian notes...

I never actually saw a Finnish marka...
Not a single one in my life :(
Well, probably because I only 'know' Finland for real since 1 year or something.... :)
Yes, I saw some pictures online, but no real notes or coins :(
Tiger : Dutch, English, French, German
Little Spanish and Italian
Trying Finnish and Japanese :)
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Donald »

The Euro notes are a compromise. There are many different national ideas on banknotes. Dutchmen want them more colorful - Germans believe that colorful money should only be used for playing monopoly.

12 countries would require 12 portraits if there were persons on the notes. How can this be achieved with only 7 denomination? The logical solution could be: Put conquerors on the notes, people who have ruled over several countries of today's Euroland. Examples are Julius Ceasar or Napoleon or even worse.

Animals and plants are also quite hard to handle, because some are national symbols.

Architecture is one thing, which is quite common throughout all participating countries and it can be depicted in a neutral way, the windows and bridges are no particular buildings that can be localized in a certain place (I know that some look rather similar to really existing buildings, nonetheless)

I think that the actual design allows for most Europeans to identify with. They are a good compromise and a good compromise is very hard to achieve.
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by pinguino79 »

Banknotes have a good design, but they are rather anonymous; as Donald correctly pointed out, they are a compromise. But what we lost on the banknotes, we gained on the coins (which also allows each country to promote its culture :) )
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by wouter »

do the germans call this note monopoly money??

I really miss it :cry:
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by BossaNova »

I agree with Donald, architecture is probably the best theme... I only think that with that theme they could be better... more detail.. we don't need much time to completly see 8O de note... I hope I can make myself understood.. it's being difficult to me expressing in english today... :roll:

PS: thanks Craft for your comments about escudos.. unfortunetly I never saw markka notes :cry:
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

wouter wrote:do the germans call this note monopoly money??
Yes, I think they would, sorry :oops: .

I like the new notes more than our old. I like that there are no people depicted because I don't like personality cult. They are a good compromise. What I dislike is the false colors which are used, e.g. the green bridge and building in the 100 note.
Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Donald »

wouter wrote:do the germans call this note monopoly money??
Well, many Germans would feel a mental challenge if they had to accept a bill like this. The graphic features of this note are beyond all German expectations of a banknote. It is very abstract and abstract thinking is required to accept that it has a certain value. At first glance, a German who is not familiar with international currency will feel confused about it. Also a denomination of 25 is uncommon to German ideas about money. Germans are more likely to trust in dull-looking money. The last edition of Deutschmark bills in the nineties was more colorful than all its predecessors and the actual Euro is even more colorful. There is a small fraction of people who call the Euro bills "Monopoly money".

The other monetary thing Germans don't trust is aluminum coins. They remember to former East-German money.
wouter
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by wouter »

I know you're probably right but i just miss the sparkling colors when i open my wallet :cry:
Also a denomination of 25 is uncommon to German ideas about money.
it is an missed oppurtunity the euro hasn't got an 25 denomination it works perfectly (at least it did to me :D )
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

wouter wrote: I know you're probably right but i just miss the sparkling colors when i open my wallet :cry:
I didn't say they are bad! I liked the fashionable design of the Dutch notes. (Weren't there even notes with an "Escherian" pattern on them?) I just meant most of the Germans are a bit conservative in these things :(
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

zz
Last edited by Craft on Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

zz
Last edited by Craft on Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

Craft wrote: And speaking about dull looking money: if anything is dull then it's the US dollars! Yak! I read somewhere, that they have finally decided in the US that they have to make regular updates to their banknotes for security reasons, just like all others have done a long time already. It was mentioned that the next series of dollars will finally have more colours than the present ones. In fact, the dollars have been more colourful in the past than nowadays. Can't paste a picture here, but here's a link:

http://www.currencygallery.com/large/lgc500-2.htm
I agree! The dollar is the ugliest bill we can see.
Here are some : http://www.compura.com/olivier/euro/USdollar.html

I like the canadian dollars, which are more colourful: http://www.compura.com/olivier/euro/CAdollar.html
The Queen of England is still on them...

O.

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”