Who found counterfeited (fake) euro coins

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:43 am

Tombola wrote:The 50ct coin is pretty nice! I think some oil on the unminted coin is the reason for the missing letter. I eg have got a German 10ct coin with a star missing. It's not rare, but still a nice coin, congratulations.
I don't think so, it has to be the stamp that is wrong. I have some coins with "missing" letters, mostly 1ct coins Germany F. But the letters are not missing, they are only weakly printed. That could happen when they inserted the letter to the rest of the pre-/positive-stamp before making the negative-stamp, and the letter did not have the correct height.
If you look exactly at the coin, do you see the letter?

Tombola
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Tombola » Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:02 pm

androl wrote:
Tombola wrote:The 50ct coin is pretty nice! I think some oil on the unminted coin is the reason for the missing letter. I eg have got a German 10ct coin with a star missing. It's not rare, but still a nice coin, congratulations.
I don't think so, it has to be the stamp that is wrong. I have some coins with "missing" letters, mostly 1ct coins Germany F. But the letters are not missing, they are only weakly printed. That could happen when they inserted the letter to the rest of the pre-/positive-stamp before making the negative-stamp, and the letter did not have the correct height.
If you look exactly at the coin, do you see the letter?
No, I don't see the letter, but I'm sure it's there. The image has a bad quality! I have also made scans of coins with weakly minted letters/stars - on the scan they mostly disappear!

yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:28 pm

Yes, the image is not the best quality...But even in real, no letter is visable at the german 50 ct coin

Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer » Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:30 pm

A faked 1 €-coin was recently found by GerhardEuro in Germany - here are some scans.
It claims to be a german 1 € with mintmark D (Munich) and is dated 2002.

Before this I already found a false german 2 € with mintmark A (Berlin) and 2002-date in circulation.
Some scans are posted here in the german board.

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:13 pm

So far I have not seen any fake coins - if any of them was, I did not notice it. But just today I read about a major case of euro coin counterfeiting in Hungary - "the largest counterfeiter facility busted in the European Union".

http://www.portfolio.hu/en/cikkek.tdp?c ... k=2&i=6018
(article in English)

The "coins" found were 1 and 2 euro pieces. The police has, however, not revealed any details about the volume, quality, etc. yet.

Christian

Rufes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Rufes » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:38 pm

I have found a fake german 2 euro.

you cant see it well but you can feel it that it is not a real euro, it has no relief and it is not even big like a real 2 euro. The bankautomat doesnt accept this euro and also drink/food automats dont accept this euro

bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:16 pm

Rufes wrote:I have found a fake german 2 euro.

you cant see it well but you can feel it that it is not a real euro, it has no relief and it is not even big like a real 2 euro. The bankautomat doesnt accept this euro and also drink/food automats dont accept this euro
Keep it Rufes. I wanna see it next meeting :lol: .

Senior
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Senior » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:52 pm

Although the pictures are quite poor in detail I'd say that the BE 2c '00 of the previous page has a cracked die (part of die missing = bump on coin). The DE 50c '02 was most likely struck with a dirty die (dirt in the die-relief = detail on coin not or hardly visible). The MC 2E '01 is probably nothing special, I suppose this is strange colour is because of alteration after striking due to some chemical reaction.

Don't check (possibly) fake coins by putting them in slot machines. You could scratch them (they're mostly of quite soft material) while there are collectors of such items (I'm one of them).
Greetings,

Senior
Do you have information about euro variants? Tell me!

Aviller
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Aviller » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:15 pm

I found a fake €2 Dutch coin. The obverse and reverse (right words?) were actually not aligned perfectly, ie if I turned the coin around, Beatrix's head was slightly tilted. The gold part also looked kind of weird.

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:54 pm

Aviller wrote:I found a fake €2 Dutch coin. The obverse and reverse (right words?) were actually not aligned perfectly, ie if I turned the coin around, Beatrix's head was slightly tilted. The gold part also looked kind of weird.
As for the alignment, well, that sometimes happens with authentic coins too. Is called "die rotation", I think, and does - by itself - not necessarily mean the piece is a counterfeit. Also, if you expose a €2 coin to heat, the color may change to some extent.

If your piece is not magnetic, for example, that would certainly mean something is wrong. Another option is to weigh it if you have (or have access to) precision scales ...

Christian

bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:51 pm

Aviller wrote:I found a fake €2 Dutch coin. The obverse and reverse (right words?) were actually not aligned perfectly, ie if I turned the coin around, Beatrix's head was slightly tilted. The gold part also looked kind of weird.
Is it possible to make a scan of the coin?

goldwood
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by goldwood » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:49 pm

Hey,

Again another fake 2 euro coin... The third one I get. This one is an Italian one. As you can see the colours aren't right and the mint is blurry. There's too much space between the grooves of the edge and the "2" and "*" are really badly done...

Some pictures :wink: :

ImageImage[/img]

PM me if you want more or larger pictures. What do you think?

Thanks

Senior
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Senior » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:09 pm

@ goldwood:

The coin you're showing is 100% fake, no doubt about it. I suppose magnetism is also quite different from normal.

What are you doing with the fake (counterfeited) coins you get? Do you spend them again, put them in a collection, hand them over to the police or still something else?

Making notes of where and when you found them could be interesting with regard to the activity period of the various counterfeiters.
Greetings,

Senior
Do you have information about euro variants? Tell me!

goldwood
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by goldwood » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:49 am

Well actually I swap them with a French friend... I don't collect fake coins so we always manage to find an interesting swap.

I could make a note yeah but I suppose all fakers don't live in my city and futhermore the coins I get seem to be quite used. But if you want to know I got one in May (German 2 € ), in July (Italian 2€) and now in December (Italian 2€).

Regards.

Rufes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Rufes » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:11 pm

I will take my Fake Coin with me to the International EBTM06 Amsterdam

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”