New 5-euro bill!

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

micdab
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

New 5-euro bill!

Post by micdab »

The new :note-5: design was unveiled today!

http://fr.euronews.com/2013/01/10/un-no ... -5-euros-/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's supposed to enter into circulation in May. The question is: will the shortcode / serial number pattern remain the same? Will we be able to track them?!
my bill maps - i'm proud of them! :)
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: New 5-euro bill!

Post by ART »

micdab wrote: Will we be able to track them?!
Sure, but there are other interesting details. Graphically it seems better than the first serie, only I don't like on the front the vertical acronyms of the ECB, the signature just below the banner and "EBPO" a bit blurry.
Better than before the reverse too. You immediately notice the expansion of the map that has been stretched to the east so you get to include Cyprus, and to the south of Sicily was put a dot representing Malta.

Last edited by ART on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
European soul, European pride.
legnaw
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by legnaw »

please before you set new topic read older :!:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55118
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

ART wrote:the signature just below the banner
Right, that looks a little odd, as if it had to be squeezed in there. Well, don't blame Mario Draghi - he put his signature elsewhere. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... lsI#t=915s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(If the direct link to that video position does not work, fast forward to 15:15 ...)

Christian
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

legnaw wrote:please before you set new topic read older :!:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55118
It's not that dangerous, and the other topic is actually under a wrong section :wink:
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

ART wrote:the signature just below the banner
The reason for the signature position might be the overall design of the Europa-series. On this :note-5: note there seems to be plenty of space for the signature elsewhere, too, since even if the "5" is large, it does not need much space horizontally. But when it comes to :note-100:, :note-200:, and :note-500:, the number takes much more space.

OTOH, the signature could have been somewhere lower. Maybe it's just a matter of design by Reinhold Gerstetter (Europa-notes are not designed by Robert Kalina any more, although his first series design was of course the basis for Mr. Gerstetter's work).
ART wrote:I don't like on the front the vertical acronyms of the ECB
These vertical texts seem to be quite typical for Gerstetter's banknote designs:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhold_Gerstetter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

Craft wrote: by Reinhold Gerstetter
Interesting, Reinhold Gerstetter was one of the contestants for the first series:
http://www.coinsworld.eu/info/euro-bank ... erie_8.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Indeed!
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

(continuation from viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55118&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

JordiJanTaxi wrote: First, let me tell you that my "idea" on a small part of a "national area" on banknotes is not "nationalist", as you use it. Bush jr., Aznar and Berlusconi turned the meaning of this word as a synonim of something criminal. But it is not.
Well, I don't care what the politicians think on this matter. My personal opinion is that this idea lends itself easily to a nationalist interpretation, and I attribute to the word a negative connotation as normal for most people.
JordiJanTaxi wrote:Right after I read your post I went see your profile (hobbies): weapons and military strategy. OK. I understand a bit more, now. Maybe you would like to solve what you call "nationalism" with "weapons" via "military strategy"...
No, I'm just planning to conquer the world with weapons and military strategy, I'm just a clerk that "serious and boring (and silly?) as usual" Europe uses to plan it, and after that the world will be united under the European rule will have a worldwide common currency with same graphics for all states.
JordiJanTaxi wrote:No need, see? It is just a comment, and having a small different design that does not affect safety features, and does not affect the general perception of the whole banknote, size, colour, etc, must not be a problem for anybody. Concerning this subject I honestly find your comments ironic to say the least, sarcastic and even rude. What I suggest for the banknotes is not different from what goes on with the coins. Where they are, from one side, TOTALLY different from country to country, or worse, with commemorative mintings, and nobody has become crazy or paranoic about it. Androl has taken most of my idea.
Instead I honestly find your comments excessively polemical for a question with no real importance. However, this idea has already been considered at the beginnings and then abandoned, for reasons already been explained, and the European population doesn't perceive the need for this. I think we should use our time and effort to the most important set of problems rather than complicate the situation with a differentiation of banknotes within the same emitting area.
JordiJanTaxi wrote:As for your comment about the "ages" we know about the subjects depicted on the banknotes, just tell that depicting "classical architecture" does not necessarily mean "again the same archs and bridges". Could have been "classical" but another design, couldn't it? And maybe, some day, subjects depicted in banknotes can be "industries", for example... one, naval, one aeronautic, one spacial, etc.,

Ci vediamo nel forum. Ciao.
We can argue all they want, it's a matter of taste and opinion. But this doesn't justify such surprised-negative reaction, because we already knew what theme would be the same as the first series.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Has anyone found any explanation why the other serial is only a half of the whole?
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Today somebody from the Deutsche Bundesbank's cash management dept. called me and explained a few things. (I had sent them an e-mail with some questions a few days ago.) Nice and knowledgeable guy, except ... his reply will to some extent be disappointing for us EBTers.

As for the "half" serial number, well, that was a compromise, it seems. Having the complete number on the notes a second time would have looked bad due to the redesign. But for security reasons it was considered necessary or helpful to use at least parts of it two times. Also, central banks will reimburse damaged notes if the customer presents more than 50% of a note.

And now the sad part. The serial number of the "Europa" series will not refer to the issuing central bank any more. In the current series the "X", for example, indicated that the issue was commissioned by the Deutsche Bundesbank ... well, we all know that. From now on, the two letters will be just that, characters that are parts of the serial number. He did not tell me whether any "secret" system would now be built into the numbers ;) but the point is, there is no easy way to tell that this note is "from" that country/central bank.

The short code, however, will still indicate the printer. If that is any consolation for us ...

Christian
gille
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by gille »

Thanks for sharing tabbs!
Brand new website: #IceBucketChallenge Videos
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

tabbs wrote:The short code, however, will still indicate the printer. If that is any consolation for us ...
the new 5€ notes should have been printed by BE+ES+FR+IT+AT
We have seen notes with combination (serial/printer) ?/Z, V/V, U/U and N/N
to my new theory, the Italian notes will have the letter R 8)
Soon we will see...
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

It seems in Madrid is taking place a temporary exhibition (at the "Banco de España") to see the new fiver. Entry to the exhibition is free. Anyone going? :mrgreen:

the source is in Spanish, but you will be able to see clearly see the full serial: http://digitalextremadura.com/not/35630 ... nco_euros/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy,
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Jes wrote:It seems in Madrid is taking place a temporary exhibition (at the "Banco de España") to see the new fiver. Entry to the exhibition is free.
Boo hoo, nobody reads my posts any more. Errm, wait, we have multiple topics about this. :mrgreen: Anyway, see what I posted on the opening day:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55118&start=45#p1014079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The Banco de España pages about the exhibition are in Spanish/castellano and in English (click "language" at the top).

Thanks for the press article! In case you go there, you could try and find out whether the first character of the serial number is actually the same as the first character of the short code.

Christian

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”