The new notes should be in circulation in 2nd May 2013
less than a month :D

Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: New 5-euro bill!

Post by Craft » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:26 am

Less than a week :D

(Someone will have to say "less than a day" when it's time :wink: )

androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:47 pm

Akai wrote:The new notes should be in circulation in 2nd May 2013
according to rumours, the central banks, or just the central bank of Germany, will only begin to spread the notes to commercial banks on 2nd May, and as most banks get their money supply only once or twice a week, it could be difficult for us to get new notes on Thursday.
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:13 am

In the case of newly issued commemorative €2 coins, or those €10 collector coins, we can simply go to the nearest Bundesbank branch office and get them. Not sure though whether they would do that with euro notes too. But it would only be fair if they cannot be had right on the first day - I'll be on vacation (outside the euro area) then, hehe.

Christian

Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:58 pm

It's going to be nice to be able to have one in your hand. I will have to set one aside to put in an envelope I have with notes from January of 2002. :)

vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by vermeer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Apparently in the Netherlands old 5 euro notes taken in by banks will be destroyed. Only the new 5 euro notes will leave the banks (and ATM). If this is true; we will see.

gille
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by gille » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Beautiful image: http://www.google.com/hostednews/getty/ ... =167526007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brand new website: #IceBucketChallenge Videos

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 pm

On Thursday (2 May) you can watch a webcast of the "launch event" in Bratislava:

14.30 h: The ECB President and Vice-President explain the Governing Council's monetary policy decisions and answer journalists' questions (Flash video and MP4 streaming)
http://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/tvservic ... 02.en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
16.00 h: Live webcast of the launch of the Europa series €5 banknotes event
http://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/tvservic ... _1.en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Start times are Central European Summer Time.)

Christian

gille
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by gille » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:17 pm

I don't know if this was already posted:
http://www.new-euro-banknotes.eu/ wrote:The serial number on the Europa series comprises two numbers printed on the back of the banknote:
a horizontal number printed in black and a vertical number printed in the colour of the respective denomination.

The horizontal number comprises two letters and ten digits. The first letter denotes the printing works, and the second letter simply goes up sequentially, as do the numbers. The vertical number comprises the last six digits of the horizontal number.

More information on the printing works identifier letter in the horizontal number will be provided once the €5 banknote of the Europa series is circulating, i.e. as from 2 May 2013.
Brand new website: #IceBucketChallenge Videos

mizar
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by mizar » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:15 am

So I see the printers got designated new letters, as so far in samples I've seen U, V and Z ...

BTW, here it says the lifespan of :note-5: is 13 months. Fortunately some last longer than that 8)

lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:42 am

I doubt that the serial number's first letter "denotes the printing works", as quoted. My guess is that either that information is just oversimplified or the journalist who's in charge of writing it didn't quite get it (a little more unlikely, I'd say).

So if I'm right the serial number's first letter of a note should keep the same meaning as until now: the national central bank that commissioned its printing.

Thanks, gille, for the quotation. Thanks for the picture too! Here's some more pictures of the same event ("Bundesbank Presents Counterfeit Money Analysis Lab And New 5 Euro Note"): http://goo.gl/S4yN3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again, if I'm right, the note shown on that beautiful picture was printed in Valora, Portugal (U on the printer / short code), following an order of the Banque de France (U on the serial number).

lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by lmviterbo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:17 am

New videos from the ECB:

The Euro. Our Money
The Euro - Feel, Look, Tilt 1
The Euro - Feel, Look, Tilt 2
The Euro - Feel, Look, Tilt 3

These are all narrated in English but there's a different voice over for every language of the Euro Area. Check your language here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ecbeuro/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All four videos include a note with serial number starting in NA.

androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:22 am

lmviterbo wrote:I doubt that the serial number's first letter "denotes the printing works", as quoted.
it could well be so. Why isn't the letter the same as the known letters L = France, M = Spain? Because these letters were arranged after the country letters as secondary letters, one per country, and now we don't have country letters any more, so the printer letters are now arranged newly by their location:
Z = Belgian printer
Y, X, W = 2 German and 1 Greek printers
V = Spanish printer
U = Banque de France
T = Oberthur
S = Irish printer
R = Italian printer
P = Dutch printer
N = Austrian printer
M = Portuguese printer
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 am

lmviterbo wrote:I doubt that the serial number's first letter "denotes the printing works", as quoted. My guess is that either that information is just oversimplified or the journalist who's in charge of writing it didn't quite get it (a little more unlikely, I'd say).
Except that in this particular case it is the European Central Bank itself that provides the information ;) A while ago I got basically the same reply via e-mail from the Deutsche Bundesbank and from the ECB (and posted it somewhere around here). So I do not think that info is inaccurate ...

Christian

dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:22 am

So if the letters denote the printer, we lose the information regarding the commissioning country. However this information was pretty useless because notes were frequently pooled elsewhere, so all in all it's not a big loss.

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”