Abdication of Beatrix van Oranje-Nassau: new coins for NL

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Abdication of Beatrix van Oranje-Nassau: new coins for NL

Post by claudio vda » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:39 pm

A new from today: Beatrix queen of the Netherland will abdicate next 30th of April in favour of her son Willem-Alexander.

Due to the fact that the role of the monarchy in the Netherland is mainly cerimonial, no changes in domestic, european and international politics...

...but we will have new coins.
My statistics are HERE, last update 15th March 2020.
Join the European Association of Eurobilltrackers (A2E) !!!

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Abdication of Beatrix van Oranje-Nassau: new coins for N

Post by tabbs » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:03 am

Will be interesting to see whether the number of different designs will still be limited to two then. Other parts of the designs (the way the Stars of Europe are arranged) will need to be modified anyway. I guess that the new (Willem) circulation coins won't come until 2014; this year he will feature on commemorative and collector coins.

By the way, the Dutch mint has just started to offer a medal with his portrait. Well well well. :)
http://www.knm.nl/CmsData/Artikelen/Fot ... i_or_1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Christian

legnaw
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by legnaw » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:38 am

i think whole collection of coins will be putted in circullation next year...
but what about 1c & 2c :mrgreen: will be coined??? :?:

androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:04 pm

made with this generator and this photo 8)
Attachments
willem.jpg
willem.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 4285 times
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."

GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:39 pm

After the abdication I had a look at the website of a Dutch newspaper. There it said that the new coins might come in late 2013. But of course they might have changed this already. Until they`ll reach me, it is at least 2014.
legnaw wrote:but what about 1c & 2c :mrgreen: will be coined??? :?:
If I did not misunderstand the article it said that the Netherlands will not coin 1 and 2 cent. And why should they? Prices are made in a way that the smallest coin is the 5cent coin.
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:08 pm

GWR7007 wrote:If I did not misunderstand the article it said that the Netherlands will not coin 1 and 2 cent. And why should they? Prices are made in a way that the smallest coin is the 5cent coin.
Guess that at some point the Dutch mint will also make 1 and 2 ct coins featuring Willem Alexander. But as you wrote, they are not really needed. In Dutch supermarkets, by the way, single items have "threshold" prices just like in Germany for example: 3.99, 2.28, 1.39 and so on. It's just that, when it comes to the total and you decide to pay cash, that total amount is rounded. Wish retailers would do that here in DE too. But what can you expect from a country where the 1 Pf (half cent, sort of) stayed in circulation until the very end of the DM years ... :wink:

Christian

GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:28 pm

tabbs wrote: But what can you expect from a country where the 1 Pf (half cent, sort of) stayed in circulation until the very end of the DM years ... :wink:
I know. Many people would like to have the D-Mark back. But it would have been funny to recieve a Pfennig coin from 1949 in 2000 or so :D .
The Dutch system is not bad, I`ve seen it last year during my holidays in the Netherlands. Better than in Germany where people want to pay a sum of say 38,87 in cash. The 38€ are not a problem but the 87cents are the problem: at the end of counting a lot of 5, 2, and 1 cent coins we come up to 85 cent and then the EC-card comes out.
If you pay with normal coins(so from 2€ until 5cent) paying would be much easier.
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:

GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:53 pm

GWR7007 wrote:After the abdication I had a look at the website of a Dutch newspaper.
I know the name of the newspaper again! It was De Telegraaf.
my EBT profile

vermeer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by vermeer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Yes; i got him.

GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:08 pm

vermeer wrote:Yes; i got him.
Looks nice. Are there already any layouts for the normal Dutch coins? I assume that the coin you show is a commemorative one.
my EBT profile

googlejaps
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by googlejaps » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:58 pm

Late reaction:

Yes this is the commemorative coin depicting Queen Beatrix and King-to-be Willem-Alexander (the coin was issued before the change of the throne, therefore Beatrix is in front and they are looking to the left.)

At the moment there's very little news about the design of the new coins.

Last week, there was a small news message: AD.nl

In summary:
The designer of the new coin is said to be Erwin Olaf, although this news is not officially confirmed by anyone.
The article describes that it will be a big challenge to design a portrait of Willem-Alexander that people will easily recognize. Willem-Alexander does not have extraordinary properties, like Beatrix does have hairdo which is easy to recognize.

Additionally:
I didn't find an official statement about this, but I think it's safe to say that the new coinage will be issued in 2014. While Beatrix became queen in 1980, we had to wait until 1982 for the first coins with the new queen.
androl wrote:made with this generator and this photo 8)

I think there are 2 things not correct with this design.
First of all King Willem-Alexander will be facing to the right. It is a tradition in The Netherlands (and I think it is in more countries) that the King never looks to the same side as his predecessor. Because Beatrix looked left, Willem-Alexander has to look to the right.
Secondly, I would be very surprised if Willem-Alexander would agree his name to be abbreviated on the coin. Before his inauguration he stated in an interview that he wouldn't want to be King Willem IV, because that's not his name. He is now King Willem-Alexander (the first), and I think this will mean he gets his full first name in the coin design.

Anyway, we will have to wait and see when the new coin design is presented.

Edit: I see now that androl had to abbreviate the name, because the generator doesn't allow a text as long as: "Willem-Alexander Koning der Nederlanden"

googlejaps
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by googlejaps » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Today the new design for the Dutch euro coinage depicting our new king is presented. I'm posting some images of the design I could find:

GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:54 pm

Nice new design :D . I like it very much :lol: . Similar to Beatrice, but different, nice. I hope, I'll find them soon, once they're brought into circulation :wink: .
my EBT profile

Fredrik
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Fredrik » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:43 pm

I like the design. I hope I find a lot of them next time in Amsterdam

ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:33 pm

I do not like this polygonal graphics :?
European soul, European pride.

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”