New front side of coins

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

New front side of coins

Post by MDeen » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:46 pm

When was this changed? I noticed it on the new Willem-Alexander coin for the Netherlands, but the front side has been changed as well. The map is now complete. Norway is included and the map goes further east.

Old:

New:

MaxVR
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: New front side of coins

Post by MaxVR » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Most countries changed the common side of the €-coins (10c - €2) in 2007. Coins from Italy, San Marino, the Vatican, Austria and Portugal show the new design if minted in 2008 or later.
Probably you didn't notice that because The Netherlands didn't mint much €-coins since 2004.

Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:55 pm

I think they wanted to get rid of the infamous penis and scrotum outline that some dirty minds could see on the old design...

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:59 pm

Norway and Sweden "swallowing" Denmark is not much better ... After the enlargement of the EU ten years ago, it was obvious that the map should be updated. So in 2005 the Ecofin Council decided that the new designs should still feature a map, but - with regard to later/future members - one that does no longer show the member states alone.

And yes, the Dutch mint has not produced that many circulation coins since 2007. But I thought that the pieces from any euro country circulate anywhere in the euro area. ;) Practically we do not have a wild mix of course, but I guess it's primarily a question of how attention we pay to our cash. Do we always look at the coins we use?

Side note: Strictly speaking, the common side (with the map) is the reverse. Not that it matters much ...

Christian

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”