Old 5€ notes, do you still see them?

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

lucilius
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Re: Old 5€ notes, do you still see them?

Post by lucilius »

James87 wrote:Just withdrew 20 pieces from a bank, turned out that 7 or so were old notes. Funny thing is that these notes were virtually in perfect shape and yet someone had tracked them all already in 2013. Based on this really small amount of data I'd assume there's still many of those in different bank vaults. In Finland (or at least in Helsinki) the circulation has been going pretty much in waves according to my experiences. The new ones seemed to take quite a slow start, but at one point it seemed that old ones were almost like chicken teeth. Now I just received old ones and based on their history and shape, it would be a surprise if there wasn't more popping up.

Just a heads up for people living or visiting Helsinki, these all will be put into circulation at the Hartwall Arena pub. Beer money best money, eh?
Pretty strange that the banks hand outs 5 old euro bills.. banks are supposed to keep them and send them out to be destroyed.

On the old 5 euro bills in general: I actually started to collect them!
They are pretty rare here in Belgium. So far I only managed to collect about 30 of them.

Every old 5 euro bill I get at a certain instant, will stay with me.... And perhaps, in far future I might use them to pay something and then wait for the look on the face of the person getting them... (most likely thinking I am using some sort of fake money haha)
lucilius
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by lucilius »

groentje wrote:They're diminuishing rapidly, but about once every week to two weeks, I still get an old 5-er, but always in circulation (sometimes, I see them lying in the cashier till, and ask for them), never from an ATM. I come across old 10-ers about as much, but I don't enter as much of them, so the percentage is higher.
As I said in my previous post here: banks are supposed to keep old 5 euro bills so yeah, you should never find them in the ATM...
LArdennais
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by LArdennais »

Come in :flag-be: , lucilius ! In some BNP Paribas Fortis ATM's that give :note-5: , you can find again old fivers... ;)
http://liste.eurobillets.free.fr/ : don't miss it every day ! à zieuter tous les jours ! kijk elke dag ! :D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... =fr&gl=US] : A utiliser sans modération ! :)
lucilius
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by lucilius »

LArdennais wrote:Come in :flag-be: , lucilius ! In some BNP Paribas Fortis ATM's that give :note-5: , you can find again old fivers... ;)
I am from :flag-be: !! haha

Yeah, thats weird! Banks should keep the old ones and send them to the national bank for destruction!
I guess perhaps, in some very bussy places they will still just stuff old 5 euro bills in the ATMs.
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

lucilius wrote:Yeah, thats weird! Banks should keep the old ones and send them to the national bank for destruction!
I'm not Belgian but I'd say that the situation might be simliair to Germany:
If you use combined deposit/pay out ATMs these are likely to give out what they have in store.

Btw.: During the Summer EBT meeting in Brussels I received two old design :note-5: from a KBC ATM (and 100 Europa ones).
However, I'd say it's unlikely to get them from pay out-only ATMs, as they are probably filled with notes where the old design ones were sorted out either by the National Bank or the bank/cash transport provider etc..

And 1,5 weeks ago, I received three old ones when getting 200x :note-5: (doesn't fully count, as they were in bundles packed at the counter) in :flag-de: .
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:
negative
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by negative »

I got 3 old :note-5:'ers in 2 days from ATM in :flag-lt: Kaunas 8O
GWR7007
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by GWR7007 »

Received one on Monday (after a longer time of absence) and it even was a hit 8O
With :flag-nl: of course :mrgreen: .
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about every hit I get but when seeing that it was a hit it could have just been one with the Netherlands. More or less at least
my EBT profile

If you'd like to contact me, don't hesitate to write a PM to me, or to send an email. I can understand German (native language), English and Dutch :wink:
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

I received one at the newspaper agent in my old village, yesterday. Old 20s are still abundant, also from the ATMs.
Aatos99
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aatos99 »

groentje wrote:I received one at the newspaper agent in my old village, yesterday. Old 20s are still abundant, also from the ATMs.
Here less old :note-20: , while more than old :note-10: . I was very surprised when I saw one old tenner about week ago. I'm currently having about 5 old fivers, there are still so many of them in circulation, because there have been so, so many of them in the good old days :lol:
Ei sitä koskaan tiedä_Aatos99

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”