Euros - boring... :(

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

Donald
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Donald » Sat Aug 03, 2002 10:47 am

"I like to dive around in my money like a porpoise! And borrow through it like a gopher! And toss it up and let it hit me on the head!"
Scrooge McDuck

If money is boring or not - I decide it by the criteria of Scrooge McDuck, the richest duck in the world. With EuroBillTracker I know if I had held a note in my hands before and where I had gotten it - just like Scrooge knows.

The Euro is much more fun according to Scrooge McDuck's criteria.

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:22 pm

Most banknotes in most countries have a very boring design (as have the euro notes), compared with designs of books, posters, CD covers, or advertising. So I have never cared a lot about note design and rarely collected coins or notes of different countries in the past and won't do it in the future. It is always annoying to have rests of change when leaving a country.

Making the whole front or back of a note national would not have been a good idea, this has been discussed earlier in the forum. What they might have done is make the overall design of the notes Europe-wide the same but leave a small section (e.g. 1/4) of each note for an embedded national design.

I like the national differences in the euro coins, but ONLY because they're common in front side and size. That's the only thing that makes it interesting to collect them.

jaker
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by jaker » Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:41 pm

Like Micro, I haven't collected money before either, so euros haven't really taken anything from me in that respect. What they have given me is a new way to collect experiences. I have started to collect sets of coins from different euro countries, and combined stories behind each - when and where and who from I got the coin from.

As banknotes are too expensive to collect, and since their serial numbers allow them to be logged, I have been able to do the same with my notes with the help of EBT. A bit like car licence plate collecting.

In both cases, with different methods, the fun part is not as much in looking and keeping, but with the social aspect of money as a link to different people. And with euros, to a much larger group.

emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by emmem » Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:42 pm

I agree collecting banknotes is too expensive.

Although I collect coins (not only from the Euro zone), I try not to be to fanatic about it. When I get a new coin I keep it in my collection, but buying coins to complete my collection is something I wont do.

matt.berlin
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by matt.berlin » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:35 pm

Well, I have to admit that I kept an example of all the coins and notes up to a value of around €30 for both FF and DM. Just to remind me of them in the future, and I will probably do the same for sterling when that eventually goes.

I would have prefered a more adventurous design to the Euro notes rather than the very neutral and inoffensive ones we currently have. I think the next designs should be bolder in concept .. perhaps showing actual landmarks that are special to the whole continent. Or important personalities to the process of European integration such as Robert Schumann or Winston Churchill.

emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by emmem » Mon Aug 05, 2002 10:52 pm

I took some time to think about this. About why I perceived collecting banknotes as too expensive, and why your post made my change my mind about this.

I guess that when having a conversation about collecting banknotes people always start joking about collecting the larger values. And the result of this joking is that collecting banknotes looks as if it can’t be a serious hobby. So I automatically jumped to the conclusion that collecting banknotes was an expensive hobby.

Having changed my mind about this doesn’t mean I will start collecting banknotes. But at least I have a better point of view about this now.

And I almost forgot I kept 2 notes (1 of 5 and 1 of 10 Euro) with bad printercodes. So I’m a banknote collector after all. :)

micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro » Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:10 am

The simplicity of the euro note design seems to be another ("hidden") security feature. In complicated designs anomalies are harder to recognize.

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”