€20 Note printed in the UK?

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Regal Zonophone
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

€20 Note printed in the UK?

Post by Regal Zonophone »

I came across this note at my work and it stood out as it has Duisenberg's signature. When I got it home and entered it into the database I see it was printed in Gateshead UK :flag-uk: . I cannot find much more information on this so if anyone can tell me if this is a rarity and why are Euro notes being produced in the UK in the first place?

lmviterbo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: €20 Note printed in the UK?

Post by lmviterbo »

Apart from what is already explained on the topic linked by Montgomery Burns, it must be said that De La Rue is one of the oldest and most respected banknote printers in the world, and has been the primary competitor of the German printer Giesecke & Devrient. They haven't been elected to print any Europa series banknotes so far but their printing facilities keep assigned letters (H and J) for the printer code if they happen to be printing :note-100: or :note-200: notes (to be issued in 2019). Probably not happening now, due to the Brexit…

The UK is not part of the Euro Area (= Eurozone) but it has been part of the EU and printing works were carefully chosen within all the EU. Other printers that have had assigned letters but ended up not having been assigned any banknote production were the Bank of England (A), Tumba Bruk of Sweden (C) and Danmarks Nationalbank (S). So these letters have never been used. And, in fact, they won't be used ever (check Antti Heinonen's The first euros [available in pdf], p. 206).

Also, let me tell you that, depending on the last two digits on the printer code (= shortcode), that note could have a market value between 40 € and 80 € at the moment. It could go up to 600€+ if it was a H004A1. I am not a collector though, just someone who follows the collector forums out of curiosity.
Regal Zonophone
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Re: €20 Note printed in the UK?

Post by Regal Zonophone »

Thanks for the information guys! :) Not sure it would be worth much to a collector as it is circulated and its short code is H002 rather than H004. Nice oddity for myself will have to keep an eye out for more!

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”