Can even €50 notes be problematic in certain countries?

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

goldeneye
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Can even €50 notes be problematic in certain countries?

Post by goldeneye »

It is well known that notes of :note-100: and higher are problematic in many countries. I am wondering if even the :note-50: can be problematic, since I am headed to the Baltics, and the :note-50: is actually of higher value than the highest note (former EEK 500) replaced in Estonia, and I heard that note wasn't common at all even then to be seen in circulation.

Has anyone actually ran into issues with :note-50: notes for it being "too large" to break, especially lately?
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Can even €50 notes be problematic in certain countries?

Post by Montgomery Burns »

The ATM is a good barometer for this - are fifties common at the ATM wherever you are? If so, then the fifty shouldn't really raise an eyebrow. Over here, they're the exception, not the rule at the machines. Whenever you pay with one, they're likely to get tested with that magic marker many cashiers have.

Having said all that, I'd say always try to be reasonable. Paying a very small expense with a fifty may summon suspicions or simply more or less veiled discontent :lol: also, trying to exchange a fifty (or higher) for smaller notes may definitely raise suspicions. It is Europe's most counterfeited denomination, after all. I only try to exchange smaller for bigger, usually when paying an expense. Like, "oh by the way, would you like some extra fivers? I was surprised by this ATM which gave me so many..." :)

Enjoy!
siriusLT
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by siriusLT »

:note-50: is very common in Baltic countries. It is one of the most common denomination in ATMs - seen them in Estonia, Latvia and of course in Lithuania. I didn't have any issues using :note-50: and :note-100: in Estonia. Baltic countries are step forward in IT hence markers are very rare in here (at least in Lithuania), and most of the shops use the counterfeit detectors like EC350 EURO.
Most of the banks in here have even better detectors like euro banknote counter BT7100.
In Lithuania even :note-500: is quite often in supermarkets and the cashiers are not surprised by them at all.
Xerxes84
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Xerxes84 »

€50 is very common in Ireland. I have entered more :note-50: than :note-10: and :note-5:. Many times when you go to the ATM it'll only have :note-50: to dispense. You can't get :note-5: out of ATMs here and you would struggle to find an ATM that will give you :note-10:.

:note-100: :note-200: :note-500: would be treated with suspicion here. When we used the punt before the euro we did have a £100 note but I only ever saw one once. You very rarely see notes over :note-50: here.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Xerxes84 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:27 pm€50 is very common in Ireland.
Yes, so it would seem...
Montgomery Burns wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:05 pm Things are tough in Ireland. Real tough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00umb7Cdgdk
Xerxes84
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Xerxes84 »

Montgomery Burns wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:03 am
Xerxes84 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:27 pm€50 is very common in Ireland.
Yes, so it would seem...
Montgomery Burns wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:05 pm Things are tough in Ireland. Real tough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00umb7Cdgdk
I remember that :D
lapislazuli_18
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by lapislazuli_18 »

In Spain they are totally not a problem to use. Only if the cashier doesn't have enough change and you are buying something < €5. Then, you might the infamous "perdona, no tengo cambio" thrown at you :cry: Come on, like if it was too hard to hand out two damn :note-20: and some coins :x

Anyways, :note-50: are truly common here as we still use a fair amount of cash, specially older people tend to depend on it more and whenever they withdraw any money they tend to do so in stacks of :note-50:, for example, my aunt (over 65 years old) went shopping and got €800 in :note-50: from the ATM. On the other hand, anything above :note-50: is quite rare in day-to-day transactions. They become more common among north European tourists, drug dealers, tax evaders and our much loved corrupt politicians :D
A caballo entre Navarra y el País Vasco
A veces por el resto de la península y el extranjero

El recordar de una determinada imagen no es sino echar de menos un determinado instante, y las caras, los caminos, los paseos, desgraciadamente son tan fugitivos como los años

En busca del tiempo perdido I, Por el camino de Swann
Marcel Proust
philgelico
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Arras, France - Voiron, France - Lido di Dante, Italy

Post by philgelico »

In France, paying with a :note-50: can be problematic, particularly during the first hours of morning.
Fortunately, many supermarkets have self-service automatic payment facilities, where you can insert all your very small coins, and then, pay with :note-50: or even sometimes :note-100: or :note-200: .
Si tu veux voler avec les aigles, éloigne-toi des paons. (proverbe d'origine inconnue)
千里之行 始于足下, proverbe chinois
اتَّكَلْنا منه على خُصٍّ الاتحاد قوة, proverbe arabe
ספר המעשיות: כולל אגדות וסיפורים מתוך קובץ כ"י ישן, proverbe sanskrit
lapislazuli_18
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by lapislazuli_18 »

Montgomery Burns wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:12 pm The ATM is a good barometer for this - are fifties common at the ATM wherever you are? If so, then the fifty shouldn't really raise an eyebrow. Over here, they're the exception, not the rule at the machines. Whenever you pay with one, they're likely to get tested with that magic marker many cashiers have.

Having said all that, I'd say always try to be reasonable. Paying a very small expense with a fifty may summon suspicions or simply more or less veiled discontent :lol: also, trying to exchange a fifty (or higher) for smaller notes may definitely raise suspicions. It is Europe's most counterfeited denomination, after all. I only try to exchange smaller for bigger, usually when paying an expense. Like, "oh by the way, would you like some extra fivers? I was surprised by this ATM which gave me so many..." :)

Enjoy!
You're right, a note is common in a country if it is available in its ATMs as, after all, they are the most common way for people to obtain their cash.
A caballo entre Navarra y el País Vasco
A veces por el resto de la península y el extranjero

El recordar de una determinada imagen no es sino echar de menos un determinado instante, y las caras, los caminos, los paseos, desgraciadamente son tan fugitivos como los años

En busca del tiempo perdido I, Por el camino de Swann
Marcel Proust

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”