Article on Euro coins mixing

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

Post Reply
dermo345
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2002 2:17 am
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Article on Euro coins mixing

Post by dermo345 » Sun Aug 11, 2002 10:29 pm


User avatar
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:02 pm
Location: Brussels
Contact:

Re: Article on Euro coins mixing

Post by emmem » Sun Aug 11, 2002 10:46 pm

Very interesting. I was wondering for some while which countries were going to print which notes. The article mentions it :
www.sbpost.ie wrote: As well as Ireland, Germany and Greece are also printing tenners; Finland, Italy and Spain are printing 20s; France, Netherlands, Austria and Portugal are printing fivers; Belgium and the Netherlands are doing the 50s. Luxembourg and Italy are concentrating on the rare 100-euro note.
But I still can’t make out if for example Ireland prints notes for putting into circulation in Belgium, they will make the serials start with Z or with T?

User avatar
Saaropean
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri May 31, 2002 2:59 pm
Location: SaarLorLux
Contact:

Re: Article on Euro coins mixing

Post by Saaropean » Sun Aug 11, 2002 11:50 pm

emmem wrote:But I still can’t make out if for example Ireland prints notes for putting into circulation in Belgium, they will make the serials start with Z or with T?
The serials will start with T for Ireland!

Recently, an ATM gave me three double P notes: both the printer code and the serial number started with the letter P. So they were printed in Germany for the Netherlands and I got them from a bank in Germany.

According to some web site (competition to EBT, so I'm not allowed to link it :lol:), the Netherlands (P serials) produce 5 and 50 Euro notes, but my double P notes were all tenners. Strange...

Oh yes, here's the list from that other web site: :wink:
5 Euros: M (Portugal), N (Austria), P (Netherlands), U (France)
10 Euros: T (Ireland), X (Germany), Y (Greece)
20 Euros: L (Finland), S (Italy), U (France), V (Spain)
50 Euros: P (Netherlands), Z (Belgium)
100 Euros: R (Luxembourg!) and S (Italy)

User avatar
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4266
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
Location: Herentals - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Article on Euro coins mixing

Post by bhoeyb » Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:47 am

Saaropean wrote: 5 Euros: M (Portugal), N (Austria), P (Netherlands), U (France)
10 Euros: T (Ireland), X (Germany), Y (Greece)
20 Euros: L (Finland), S (Italy), U (France), V (Spain)
50 Euros: P (Netherlands), Z (Belgium)
100 Euros: R (Luxembourg!) and S (Italy)
So if you want to rob a money transport, you should concentrate on those comming from Italy, Belgium and Netherlands :mrgreen:

User avatar
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2002 9:58 pm
Location: Evian

Re: Article on Euro coins mixing

Post by Olivier » Mon Aug 12, 2002 12:33 pm

I didn't know the average of the number of coins we bring with us is 8. I have 7 coins, back from Italy. :)

thomas

Re: Article on Euro coins mixing

Post by thomas » Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:36 am

Saaropean wrote:According to some web site (competition to EBT, so I'm not allowed to link it :lol:), the Netherlands (P serials) produce 5 and 50 Euro notes, but my double P notes were all tenners. Strange...
These 10ers are certainly notes of the initial production, even if they were new. 10 bill. of the 15 bill. notes printed until 2001 were for circulation (the rest for a reserve). First, a lot of small denomination notes were introduced (frontloaded to banks and subfrontloaded to retailers) holding back larger notes. The reason: shops would have had difficulties to give change to customers coming with large notes. The number of notes in circulation peaked sometime in January, after which small notes were systematically withdrawn and exchanged by larger notes, thus reducing the number of circulating notes while increasing the value of circulating notes.

That means, a lot of notes were released once, then withdrawn and later gradually re-introduced as needed. I guess that, for a while, we will see mostly notes of the first production (i.e. with country-specific serial letters) before notes of the 2002-production (i.e. notes of the pooling system) appear in circulation.

And that German banks dispense P-notes from the Netherlands is not strange. I got a 500-P-note at the "Sparkasse" in May, and on January 4 my first N-notes at a "Postbank" ATM: a continuous series of 10ers with printer code F003I1 freshly frontloaded from Austria.

thomas

User avatar
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 12:13 pm
Location: Paris
Contact:

Post by BossaNova » Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:44 am

we are so far away from the 91% of foreing coins that the article talks about... :roll:

and I really don't believe it... you have to think that the majority of the tourists goes to the same places, so they bring foreing coins, but the coins they take home are also foreign.. from other tourists...

that's what I think.. :roll:

User avatar
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4266
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:58 pm
Location: Herentals - Belgium
Contact:

Post by bhoeyb » Tue Aug 13, 2002 12:43 pm

BossaNova wrote:we are so far away from the 91% of foreing coins that the article talks about... :roll:

and I really don't believe it... you have to think that the majority of the tourists goes to the same places, so they bring foreing coins, but the coins they take home are also foreign.. from other tourists...

that's what I think.. :roll:
Yes, you're right about the tourists. Esp. the numbers for Portugal are strange and way too high.

User avatar
airis
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1295
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 10:54 am
Location: Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

Post by airis » Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:56 pm

Many foreign coins still actually end up in collections. Does this explain a bit the difference between the calculations and reality.

I remember that in some newspaper article it was mentioned that Setec Oy in Finland is printing 100 Euro banknotes for Luxemburg. In that case will the serials start with L or R? Some other central banks will probably also order bills from foreign printers. I think some printers are private companies.

User avatar
BossaNova
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert
Posts: 733
Joined: Wed May 01, 2002 12:13 pm
Location: Paris
Contact:

Post by BossaNova » Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:10 am

bhoeyb wrote:
BossaNova wrote:we are so far away from the 91% of foreing coins that the article talks about... :roll:

and I really don't believe it... you have to think that the majority of the tourists goes to the same places, so they bring foreing coins, but the coins they take home are also foreign.. from other tourists...

that's what I think.. :roll:
Yes, you're right about the tourists. Esp. the numbers for Portugal are strange and way too high.
that was my first impression too.. but if it's true that Portugal has less coins per capita then the european average that can help a lot! and then I remmembered that the majority of the foreign coins brought to portugal are brought by portuguese emmigrants (specialy from France, Luxembourg and Germany), and they come back to every part of Portugal, not only the touristic regions and cities, then it's normal they want to take some portuguese coins to their homes in North Europe, for giving and showing to their friends for instance.. that can mix up a lot..

anyway I think 91% foreign coins in the end of 2004 it's too high.. because I think Bank of Portugal will continue to make and distribut new portuguese coins.... :roll:

but it's true we'll have the european football championship that year :P :wink:


bn 8) but 91% it's really a lot... :roll: specially if they're all from France and Spain as I guess.. and I'm sure that's not going to be true for the "red" ones, not in 2004 or 2024!

thomas

Post by thomas » Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:46 pm

airis wrote:I remember that in some newspaper article it was mentioned that Setec Oy in Finland is printing 100 Euro banknotes for Luxemburg. In that case will the serials start with L or R?
Setec Oy is a printer, not an NCB (National Central Bank). Setec's notes (with printercode D) have the letter of the NCB, which ordered the printing. Luxembourg's NCB did not order any notes from a printer for the initial production phase upto 2001- so there are no R-notes -, but asked other NCB's to provide notes, which bear those NCB's letter.

In case the 100er note from Luxembourg is produced this year in the pooling system, it bears an R (meaning "ordered by Luxembourg") with printercode D (meaning "printed by Setec").
airis wrote:Some other central banks will probably also order bills from foreign printers. I think some printers are private companies.
Most printers are private, the biggest is De la Rue, the second Giesecke+Devrient, which printed for 11 of the 12 NCB's according to an article in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung quoted with permission in http://www.eurotracer.org/news.php?page=24

Thomas

thomas

Post by thomas » Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:55 pm

airis wrote:I remember that in some newspaper article it was mentioned that Setec Oy in Finland is printing 100 Euro banknotes for Luxemburg. In that case will the serials start with L or R?
Setec Oy is a printer, not an NCB (National Central Bank). Setec's notes (with printercode D) have the letter of the NCB, which ordered the printing. Luxembourg's NCB did not order any notes from a printer for the initial production phase upto 2001- so there are no R-notes -, but asked other NCB's to provide notes, which bear those NCB's letter.

In case the 100er note from Luxembourg is produced this year in the pooling system, it bears an R (meaning "ordered by Luxembourg") with printercode D (meaning "printed by Setec").
airis wrote:Some other central banks will probably also order bills from foreign printers. I think some printers are private companies.
Most printers are private, the biggest is De la Rue, the second Giesecke+Devrient, which printed for 11 of the 12 NCB's according to an article in the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung quoted with permission in http://www.eurotracer.org/news.php?page=24

Thomas

Post Reply

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”