1 Euro notes!

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:25 pm
Location: NW · DE · EU

Re: 1 Euro notes!

Post by tabbs » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:46 pm

ART wrote:No, the seignoreage is distributed from the ECB to the banks of the ESCB and then follows the normal path of the former-currencies (to the governments).
Guess that depends ... This for example (emphasis by me) is from the March 2008 media release: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/ ... _1.en.html

"Distribution of the ECB’s income on euro banknotes in circulation: The Governing Council decided that, from 2006, this income is due to the NCBs in the financial year in which it accrues, but is to be distributed on the second working day of the following year. It is distributed in full unless the ECB’s net profit for the year is less than its income earned on euro banknotes in circulation. The latter was the case in 2007, due to the decision by the Governing Council to make transfers to the provision for foreign exchange rate, interest rate and gold price risks. Based on the ECB’s estimated financial result for the year, the Governing Council decided in December 2007 to withhold distribution of the whole of this income."

This year it is different again: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pr/date/ ... _1.en.html
"It is distributed in full unless the ECB’s net profit for the year is less than its income earned on euro banknotes in circulation and subject to a decision by the Governing Council before the end of the financial year to transfer part or all of this income to the provision for foreign exchange rate, interest rate and gold price risks. The latter was the case in 2008, due to the decision by the Governing Council to transfer approximately €1.0 billion out of the ECB’s income on euro banknotes in circulation to this provision. Consequently, the remaining income on euro banknotes of €1.2 billion was distributed to the NCBs on 5 January 2009."

Back to the €1 notes - The only advantage (apart from them possibly being attractive for EBTers, hehe) I see is that notes can be exchanged more easily. If a visitor from, say, the US takes his change back home, he can get the EUR notes exchanged into USD cash. That does not work with coins. Then again, I somehow manage to hardly ever take lots of cash back home when I travel outside the euro area. ;)

Christian

User avatar
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2718
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:47 pm
Location: Brussels Capital Region, Belgium

Re: 1 Euro notes!

Post by groentje » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:29 am

In Switzerland and the UK I had no problems changing coins of 1 and 2 euro, but I might have been just lucky.
Withdrawing the notes of 500 wouldn't be a problem, but as we see them almost never in circulation, it doesn't really matter, does it?

User avatar
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 2300
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 12:04 pm
Location: Eindhoven & omgeving, Nederland

Re: 1 Euro notes!

Post by R/J » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:26 am

groentje wrote:Withdrawing the notes of 500 wouldn't be a problem, but as we see them almost never in circulation, it doesn't really matter, does it?
Well, you rarely see them in circulation, because it's impossible to get one as change. :P
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.

Asavoid
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:09 am

Re: 1 Euro notes!

Post by Asavoid » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:56 am

ART wrote:Image
(winner of Italian private competition)



In Italy the actual Minister of economy said that the 1 and 2 € notes have function of psychological aid to better perceive the "value" of the money (in order to prevent the perception of the coins like unimportants) and we would have "to do as the USA", that they have the 1$ note. Well... in the USA is trying from ages to do the exact contrary: to replace the 1$ note with a coin... :roll:

Image
Image

that design is very beautiful .... but it wrong because it show classic antique, what is the age for the 5 Euro note

2 Euro note : Bronze Age with bronze weapon like sword. Colour yellow like bronze.
1 Euro note : Stone Age with Menhir, torch and ear of wheat. Blue like the Euroflag with grey symbols. BLUEBACK !!!

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 1002
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:25 pm
Location: NW · DE · EU

Re: 1 Euro notes!

Post by tabbs » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:48 am

Don't think there is any need to seriously think about designs for such low value notes. :mrgreen:

Christian

User avatar
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Posts: 4932
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:38 pm
Location: Away from home (once again)
Contact:

Re: 1 Euro notes!

Post by Jes » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:51 am

Asavoid wrote:
ART wrote:Image
(winner of Italian private competition)



In Italy the actual Minister of economy said that the 1 and 2 € notes have function of psychological aid to better perceive the "value" of the money (in order to prevent the perception of the coins like unimportants) and we would have "to do as the USA", that they have the 1$ note. Well... in the USA is trying from ages to do the exact contrary: to replace the 1$ note with a coin... :roll:

Image
Image

that design is very beautiful .... but it wrong because it show classic antique, what is the age for the 5 Euro note

2 Euro note : Bronze Age with bronze weapon like sword. Colour yellow like bronze.
1 Euro note : Stone Age with Menhir, torch and ear of wheat. Blue like the Euroflag with grey symbols. BLUEBACK !!!
I think you're wrong again. The "thème" of euronotes is not objects, it is rather "art" or, more specifically: Architecture.

Therefore... 1 or 2€ notes would exist, they might depict some sort of idealised Stonehenge, don't you think so? :P
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)

Post Reply

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”