Slovenia: 8 different designs for euro coins

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Slovenia: 8 different designs for euro coins

Post by tabbs » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:58 pm

The Slovenian government has announced the designs of the country's euro and cent coins. Here is the (English) press release:
http://www.uvi.si/eng/slovenia/news/id/ ... 9600340AF8

(If that link does not work, go to the overview page
http://www.uvi.si/eng/slovenia/news/
and click on "Central Bank Unveils Layout of Slovenian Euro Coins".)

There will be eight different designs, one for each denomination. Images of the coins are here:
http://www.rtvslo.si/modload.php?&c_mod ... c_id=89992

Great - eight different designs for the eight denominations. And most of them are very nicely done ... :)

yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:25 am

Nice pictures :lol:
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:

Yannn
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Yannn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:20 pm

Nice designs !

Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:41 am

The 1€ coin has far too much text on it. It ends up being a complete mess.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:12 am

I like the 1€ more than the 2€, the picture on the 2€ is a bit too small. (And the "France" could irritate some people :lol: ) I think the designs will still be changed somehow, I think the year 2007 text will be made more horizontal. But the motives are nice.
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."

yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:35 pm

Yes, the yearmark is a bit strange.
Personally I like the 1ct en 20ct the most.
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:

Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:10 pm

Nice that Slovenija uses the coin-design to present their nation & culture (and not only their borders like Estonia does), my favourites are 50c and 20c, 2€ is very nice, too.

The texture is sometimes too much, especially the letters of SLOVENIJA shouldn't been put between the stars which makes a mess.
I'd say the best way to fullfill the new standart, that the country's name must appear on the national side is like it is done here:

ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:26 pm

Nice images, but the letters between the stars are just unpleasant.

alex77r
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by alex77r » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:15 pm

The future slovenian coins will be very nice but I agree with ART that it is bad to have include the name of the country by this way :?
The Shortcodes List/Bilan des Codes-courts recensés - website on stand-by
User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit global settings>(1) Sélectionnez le thème "Subsilver2" pour avoir une apparence ressemblant à l'ancien forum (2) Forum en français désormais possible!

Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:04 am

The country name between the stars wouldn't be that bad if there weren't so many other texts. It is difficult to read especially circular concentric texts. The € 1 in particular is really bad, with its interlocking letters in the name of the person, the words starting here and there, and letters upside up and down.

And I agree that cutting the year into two rows is somewhat confusing, too.

I think the designs could be fine-tuned a little, some of them look a bit messy now (imagine them much smaller than in the pictures, like they'll be in reality). The designs seem to suffer somewhat from Horror vacui.

The thematic variety is good. :)

Aviller
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Aviller » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:04 pm

Very interesting coins but I agree that there's too much text on some coins. The 10c with the never built parliamentary building is probably my favorite.

Now if Estonia came to its senses and changed its design, 07 would be a great year for € coins.

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:47 pm

Lithuania won't be not much better, FWIW. Three designs which are "different" only with regard to the background patterns of the ring.
http://www.lb.lt/eng/banknotes/coins_eur.html

Christian

melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:05 pm

tabbs wrote:Lithuania won't be not much better, FWIW. Three designs which are "different" only with regard to the background patterns of the ring.
http://www.lb.lt/eng/banknotes/coins_eur.html

Christian
at least they look very neat

Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:47 pm

And the Lithuanian design is a historical figure, which I consider at least somewhat more interesting than the plain map on Estonian coins.

Now we know how the Estonian, Lithuanian and Slovenian coins will look like. Has any of the other 7 countries revealed their designs yet? I can't remember seeing any. At least Malta is likely to follow the suit soon in introducing the euro to replace the national currency...

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:24 pm

Craft wrote:Has any of the other 7 countries revealed their designs yet?
Don't think so. In Cyprus the design competition ended just two days ago ... Here is a description of what we can expect to see on the coins: http://www.centralbank.gov.cy/nqcontent ... 59&lang=en

The other two scheduled for 2008 are Latvia and Malta. The coins from Latvia will show the Freedom Monument (or Statue of Liberty) in Riga, a Latvian maiden (like on some pre-WW2 coins), and the country's coat of arms. Don't know about the designs from Malta yet.

As for the remaining four countries, well, I don't know. None of these four has joined the exchange rate mechanism (ERM-II) yet. Slovakia plans a design competition later this year, with some kind of public vote, but I don't expect any of these four to join Euroland in this decade.

Christian

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”