New euro notes to come in 2013/14

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

New euro notes to come in 2013/14

Post by tabbs » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:44 pm

(Subject updated - the "second generation" will not be issued in 2010 or 2011 ...)

It will take three to four more years until we get to see and use the new, updated euro notes, according to a DPA (news agency) article from today. And while the new security features will not be published until shortly before the introduction, some details have been revealed.

Two articles (in German) based on the dpa story:
http://www.faz.net/s/RubEC1ACFE1EE274C8 ... EF555C83C/...
http://www.n-tv.de/701645.html

The basic designs, and the range of denominations, will not be changed. But according to Franz C. Zeitler, vice president of the Deutsche Bundesbank, there will be a new feature that can be viewed and felt, and thus easily be recognized in everyday life.

But what could such features be? The article mentions a few options, such as a plastic "window" as they are currently used on Bulgarian notes. Depending on whether the background is bright or dark, you see different images. Other ideas are metal foils or patches, or thermal images that become visible when touched with a (body temperature) finger.

Polymer bills, and notes with RFID chips, do currently not have a high priority. "Plastic" seems to be unpopular among manufacturers of ATMs and other machines that handle notes. Accrding to Peter Wöffen of Wincor Nixdorf they tend to stick together more than paper notes. RFID chips are still relatively expensive, and the privacy problems they incur have not been resolved yet.

No matter what the 2010 series will look like, the bridges and arches are there to stay, it seems.

Christian
Last edited by tabbs on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:40 pm

Could you please contact the two Internet website in German and mention the existence of EBT ; especially, I have seen that the article in the Frankfurter Allgemeine offers links to related issues.

EBT is a related topic to any article concerning the euro.

It is a good opportunity to speak about EBT.

Aviller
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Aviller » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:36 pm

Since the basic designs won't be changed, does that mean that they'll look exactly the same or do you think there might be a slight update (aside from the new security features).

Bender
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Bender » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:46 pm

in the german wikipedia article about the notes is written, that there will be a new series of notes introduced by 2008, but the optical design wion't be changed..
Personal Stats last Updated 0605-2007
Ranks: EU 217 / DE 053 / DE-NRW 021 / Local 001 (From 0605-2007/1447h)
Notes 19953 / Interesting Hits 56

androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:08 am

yes, some sources said 2008 before. But that year is older, now everyone (and the German Wikipedia) says 2010.
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."

alex77r
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by alex77r » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:47 pm

androl wrote:yes, some sources said 2008 before. But that year is older, now everyone (and the German Wikipedia) says 2010.
In some recents articles about the adoption of the Euro by Slovenia, they said that the country will wait to print its own notes because of the design change in 2008... :roll:
The Shortcodes List/Bilan des Codes-courts recensés - website on stand-by
User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit global settings>(1) Sélectionnez le thème "Subsilver2" pour avoir une apparence ressemblant à l'ancien forum (2) Forum en français désormais possible!

EBT FAN

Post by EBT FAN » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:04 am

I'm pretty sure they'll add an inscription in cyrillic cos bulgaria is joining the EU on 1 january 2007 and according to ECB plans the euro should become legal tender in bulgaria sometime about 2009-2010. The only alphabet there is cyrillic so it must be on the money too as it was done for greece.

Ernst
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Ernst » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:18 am

And if someone writes the FAZ, tell them we have 11 Million fake notes in our database! :wink: They say there are 10 Million notes in circulation! Wishful thinking :!:

Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:42 am

I find it very unlikely that Bulgaria could make it to the euroland before 2010. And I guess it'll take even a lot more, possibly even to 2015.
If even Estonia and Lithuania couldn't join in three years, then how on Earth could Bulgaria, which has a very bad economical situation to start from?
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

alex77r
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by alex77r » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:41 pm

Dakkus wrote:I find it very unlikely that Bulgaria could make it to the euroland before 2010. And I guess it'll take even a lot more, possibly even to 2015.
If even Estonia and Lithuania couldn't join in three years, then how on Earth could Bulgaria, which has a very bad economical situation to start from?
I think it is too much early for Bulgaria and Romania to join next year. :roll:
We have enough problems to solve in the UE !
The Shortcodes List/Bilan des Codes-courts recensés - website on stand-by
User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit global settings>(1) Sélectionnez le thème "Subsilver2" pour avoir une apparence ressemblant à l'ancien forum (2) Forum en français désormais possible!

Davci
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Davci » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:34 pm

Hello!

It seems they will join anyway. But € will not become a legal tender there at least untill 2015, I supose. To be frank I think even Lithuania and Estonia won't make it even on 01/01/08. :?:
Lep pozdrav / Greetings

David

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:58 am

Davci wrote:To be frank I think even Lithuania and Estonia won't make it even on 01/01/08. :?:
No, they won't - and their governments do not aim at that date anyway. 2010 (or so) is more likely. The two member states that might introduce the euro in 2008 are Cyprus and Malta.

Christian

Mullams
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Mullams » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:48 am

But it's gonna be sooooooooo difficult to get a single coin from these countries... :o

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:02 pm

Finding one from Cyprus or Malta in circulation may be difficult indeed, simply because cross-border traffic from and to these countries won't be as easy as going from, say, Germany to the Netherlands. But considering the population of CY and MT, they will certainly not be as rare as the pieces from Monaco or San Marino, let alone the Vatican. :wink:

Christian

Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:19 am

Has anyone new information about these new banknotes?
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”