New euro notes to come in 2013/14

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: New euro notes to come in 2013/14

Post by dserrano5 »

Last september, tabbs wrote:According to a recent article in an Austrian newspaper [...] That article does not say anything about polymer notes. [...] the old notes will be taken out of circulation step by step, one denomination at a time. [...] the basic designs and colors will not change.
tabbs wrote:the €5 note will be the first to come in a (slightly) modified look, in 2013. The €10 should follow in 2014, the €20 in 2015 ...
Again, nothing about polymer notes, and a confirmation of both the time frame and the one-denomination-at-a-time policy. That's really good info :).
melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus »

According to the news website economymagazine.bg the European Central Bank this November will present the new series of euro banknotes and they should appear in circulation in May 2013. The new banknotes will have updated and new security features.

Bloomberg.com also confirms the above and adds that the first banknotes to be put in circulation will be those of €5. It also says that "The ECB is using an image from Greek mythology to improve security on new euro banknotes. Europa, the Phoenician princess abducted by Zeus who gave the continent its name, will replace architectural images as the watermark on the new notes. Putting a face rather than a structure on the watermark may make it harder for forgers to produce fakes.

The new notes will retain these symbols and be very similar to those in circulation other than the changed watermark, the people said. The colors of the notes will be slightly different and Europa will also show as a hologram on the silver marking on the right-hand side of each bill, one of the people said. The map of Europe on the notes will reflect the enlarged European Union, according to information on the ECB’s website

source http://www.myeurohobby.eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb »

People working at the National Bank of Belgium still don't have received any info about the new notes :| .
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

We had a guided tour at the Bundesbank's Money Museum the other day, and also talked about the "new" Draghi sig notes. Our guide said that, step by step, all denominations in the current look will have his signature -- except for the €5 note. Why not that one? Because it will be the first one to be issued in the new-and-improved version. :D But of course plans may change ...

Christian
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

tabbs wrote:We had a guided tour at the Bundesbank's Money Museum the other day, and also talked about the "new" Draghi sig notes. Our guide said that, step by step, all denominations in the current look will have his signature -- except for the €5 note. Why not that one? Because it will be the first one to be issued in the new-and-improved version. :D But of course plans may change ...

Christian
Nice info since I only collect :note-5: at maximum. Knowing that, I'll have to keep a :note-10: now.

Why I do only collect :note-5: ? Oh! very simple: others are out of my budget :lol: :arrow: 3 notes = 15€ (well, Ok, now I know it will be 20€)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

tabbs wrote: Also, it seems that some mints would like to introduce a €5 circulation coin.
I hope they don't run other attempts to introduce coins circulating only within individual states. I very hate this crap.
European soul, European pride.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Well, those pseudo-coins (legal tender in the issuing member state only) we already have. Some I collect, especially when they can be had at face value (like some from AT, DE, NL). :D Most others I do not care about, as those pieces do not have much to do with the concept of a common currency ...

Nah, in that SudOuest.fr article they mentioned the idea of introducing a €5 circulation coin, much like the €1 and €2 pieces. But, that was in early 2011 - and I think the idea is dead, or at least currently asleep.

Christian
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

today the new "Europa series" has been announced and three security features of the :note-5: have been published
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cYOxAJbAl8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.new-euro-banknotes.eu/Europa ... troduction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

A detail which wasn't explicitly mentioned in the announcement and attached materials but which is visible in the images is the addition of the Cyrillic variant of ECB, ЕЦБ. That's because Bulgaria is nowadays a member of EU though not yet a member of the euro zone. Moreover, I don't think that the ECB acronym is the only place for Cyrillics: it's easy to predict that also the words EURO & EYPO will indeed now be accompanied by EBPO as has already been speculated here before.

As a side effect, this will make the euro notes more cozy also for Russians, since euro is евро in Russian, too. :D
melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus »

Craft wrote:A detail which wasn't explicitly mentioned in the announcement and attached materials but which is visible in the images is the addition of the Cyrillic variant of ECB, ЕЦБ. That's because Bulgaria is nowadays a member of EU though not yet a member of the euro zone. Moreover, I don't think that the ECB acronym is the only place for Cyrillics: it's easy to predict that also the words EURO & EYPO will indeed now be accompanied by EBPO as has already been speculated here before.

As a side effect, this will make the euro notes more cozy also for Russians, since euro is евро in Russian, too. :D

find more details here
http://myeurohobby.eu/profiles/blogs/ne ... s-printing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

on the new banknotes ECB will be in 9 languages :D
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

That's a nice piece of information, thanks! :D Based on the cropped pics (presenting the emerald number "5"), it seems that the stripe of acronyms will be aligned vertically instead of the current horizontal position. And the linked site also confirms the Cyrillic form of the word euro.
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

melitikus wrote:on the new banknotes ECB will be in 9 languages :D
It's a bit of a strange order.
They took the "official" list of the EU languages, which is ordered by the name of the languages in each language itself, but the Bulgarian version should then be the first one. My idea is that they probably ordered it by the English word "Cyrillic" :lol:

ЕЦБ = Bâlgarski
BCE = Castellano, Français, Gaeilge, Italiano, Português, Română
ECB = Česky, Dansk, English, Latviešu, Lietuvių, Nederlands, Slovenčina, Slovenščina, Svenska
EZB = Deutsch
EKP = Eesti, Suomi
ΕΚΤ = Elliniká
EKB = Magyar
BĊE = Malti
EBC = Polski
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”