New euro notes to come in 2013/14

Facts/News about the Euro can be posted here

Moderators: Fons, Phaseolus

Dawizz
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: New euro notes to come in 2010

Post by Dawizz » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:11 am

I'm talking about the color(s) the Australian paper money is horribl,they look funny,and feel funny when you touch them.The only good thing they have is the small clear window.thats a nice feature.
Born too late to explore the Globe. Born too early to explore the Stars. Born just in time to see the World implode.

Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:31 pm

I like the idea of plastic bills as in Australia... it helps lengthening the life expectation of bills ! :mrgreen:

Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:56 pm

Phaseolus wrote:I like the idea of plastic bills as in Australia... it helps lengthening the life expectation of bills ! :mrgreen:
I agree, and they remain cleaner too.

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: New euro notes to come in 2013/14

Post by tabbs » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:43 pm

According to a recent article in an Austrian newspaper, the second generation of euro notes will not be issued until 2013 or 2014.

http://wienerzeitung.at/DesktopDefault. ... age11914=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Article in German)

That article does not say anything about polymer notes. I doubt they will be introduced in the euro area, but who knows. What we do know is that the old notes will be taken out of circulation step by step, one denomination at a time. Also, while new security features will be added, the basic designs and colors will not change.

Christian

Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:08 pm

tabbs wrote:According to a recent article in an Austrian newspaper, the second generation of euro notes will not be issued until 2013 or 2014.

http://wienerzeitung.at/DesktopDefault. ... age11914=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Article in German)

That article does not say anything about polymer notes. I doubt they will be introduced in the euro area, but who knows. What we do know is that the old notes will be taken out of circulation step by step, one denomination at a time. Also, while new security features will be added, the basic designs and colors will not change.

Christian
Wow VERY VERY INTERESTING!! Thanks for sharing! :D :D :D :D :D
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)

maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by maarsy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:19 pm

it becomes verry pricy to collect notes if more difrent notes come out

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:36 pm

Depends on how you collect euro notes. (Actually I don't - I just track and spend them. :mrgreen: ) It has been obvious for a long time that a new "generation" of notes will be issued in the current decade. The only question is when. And provided that the Wiener Zeitung article is right, the ECB/Eurosystem will start issuing them in 2013/14 - that is, they will start with one denomination, a little later comes the next one, and so on.

By that time, we will have new printer/central bank codes and combinations. Also, we are going to have a new ECB president, and thus a new signature. So yes, a "complete" collection of euro notes will be expensive if you take all those differences into account ...

Christian

Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:58 pm

tabbs wrote:What we do know is that the old notes will be taken out of circulation step by step
Is it for certain that when the new bills are issued the old ones will directly be taken out of circulation, or will both designs circulate together? In the Netherlands, when a new design was issued, the old design remained in circulation. After about 7 or 8 years, the old design would be taken out of circulation (but most bills with the old design had disappeared due to wear and tear anyway). And in the USA, the old designs are still being used (obviously, the old designs can hardly be found anymore due to wear and tear).
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:01 pm

Guess that for a certain period of time both "old" and "new" will be in circulation. As for details, your guess is as good as mine. 8) All I know is what the ECB wrote in its anniversary bulletin http://www.ecb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/other/ ... 0806en.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (English version; replace the "en" at the end by "nl" to get it in Dutch, etc.), namely: The ECB will announce well in advance when the current series ceases to be legal tender, i.e. when it can no longer be used to make payments. However, the NCBs will redeem euro banknotes of the "old" series for an unlimited period of time. (page 144)

Now in that same bulletin (from 2008) the bank also says that the new notes would be introduced as from 2011. But while that schedule is not realistic any more, I suppose the principles - such as the redemption policy - will not be changed ...

Christian

malu
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by malu » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:15 am

tabbs wrote:According to a recent article in an Austrian newspaper, the second generation of euro notes will not be issued until 2013 or 2014.

(Article in German)

Christian
I suppose they will feature "Euro" written i Cyrllic. I wonder how it will look... :)

dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:55 am

"Евро" according to google translate (to bulgarian).

Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Interestingly enough, that translits to "Yevro", which is what the Euro is called also in Russia.
Of course, because diphtongs don't exist in those languages, the only other possibility would be "Eyuro" (Эюро), which would sound just horrible and although maybe somewhat pronounceable, very untypical to those languages.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!

Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:45 pm

In Russian, the name "евро" is actually the only logical choice since Europe is "Европа" in Russian.

But there's another thing that a Russian once pointed out to me: the name "евро" comes quite close to the word "еврей" (pronounced yevrei) which means "a jew".

legnaw
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by legnaw » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:42 pm

word "евро" and sign "ЕЦБ" (Европейска централна банка) will reprezent Bulgaria, and are wrote in cyrilic

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:54 pm

According to several French newspapers, the colors on the new generation notes will have more contrast. And apparently the €5 note will be the first to come in a (slightly) modified look, in 2013. The €10 should follow in 2014, the €20 in 2015 ...

"Une nouvelle génération de billets en euros, aux motifs inchangés mais aux couleurs plus contrastées, sera dévoilée prochainement par la BCE." http://www.challenges.fr/actualites/fin ... _euro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This second article http://www.sudouest.fr/2011/03/31/vos-b ... 62-730.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has some links to other websites dealing with the new notes. Also, it seems that some mints would like to introduce a €5 circulation coin.

Christian

Return to “Euro-Notes and Coins Board”