Brexit?

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Brexit?

Post by ART »

Montgomery Burns wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:43 pm Will the United Kingdom of Great Boris finally get its way??
It depends on which way, but Boris surely has its way already marked.
European soul, European pride.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

British MEP's have gone through their last ever parliamentary session in Strasbourg this week.
Britain is European
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Britain is European »

Sadly, brexit went through at midnight 31 January 2020. It is an ideologue driven project of deregulation and tax evasion. Populism and anti-immigration sentiment was instrumentalised to attract voters to it. In the last analysis, however, Britain is a remain country, as the final results of the voting in the 12 December 2019 general election show: votes for parties supporting remain or a second referendum : 16,226,841 ; votes for parties supporting leave : 14,631,591. Although remain won the popular vote, the leave bloc "won" and formed a government due to the system of distribution of votes across parliamentary constituencies- the UK uses the so-called first past the post system, and does not have proportional representation. The current UK system is manifestly undemocratic.

The EU now requires candidate countries to use a proportional representation system, and with good reason, in that it is more democratic. Additionally, proportional representation requires negotiation and greater consensus, while the UK system is significantly more adversarial.

In my opinion, brexit will isolate my country, the UK. It will also impoverish it economically, culturally, scientifically, and politically. I hope brexit does not damage the EU.

Brexit had its origins in a struggle between factions in the Conservative Party, and has ended by dividing the country. Also, the UK may now fragment, Scotland may become independent, and Northern Ireland may leave the UK and join the Republic of Ireland. It is very sad for the UK and for our sisters and brothers in the EU.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

Britain is European wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:59 pmIn my opinion, brexit will isolate my country, the UK.
In the EU, some consider brexit to be almost a kind of "liberation", because they perceived the UK as a brake on European integration. Although I believe it is essential that the EU continues to move as far as possible towards democratic political unity, I have not been happy with brexit, because the UK was a fundamental part of it. It may be that in the future, with a different situation, UK decide to return EU, or could end badly for everyone... but if you are European in your soul it will continue to be so, inside or outside the EU.
European soul, European pride.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Who knew #brexit would lead to #petroless...

Return to “Europe-Board”