€ / $

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

Just now: 1€= 1.51155$ 8O
Last edited by Jes on Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
Beatminister
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Beatminister »

Ewri wrote: The latest cut in US and UK interest rates, might lead for a little recovery, though they have a lot of ground to recover.
I dont think there will be much change (for the better) until the US elections in autumn, and the inevitable change over in the White House. There is just no faith in the present government anymore, be it on the economical side or in foreign politics or whatever. IMHO the US is in its biggest crisis since they got kicked out of Vietnam - thanks to Bush jr.
To bad they have given up the good old custom of tarring and feathering... :lol:
Ewri
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Ewri »

Beatminister wrote:
Ewri wrote: The latest cut in US and UK interest rates, might lead for a little recovery, though they have a lot of ground to recover.
I dont think there will be much change (for the better) until the US elections in autumn, and the inevitable change over in the White House. There is just no faith in the present government anymore, be it on the economical side or in foreign politics or whatever. IMHO the US is in its biggest crisis since they got kicked out of Vietnam - thanks to Bush jr.
To bad they have given up the good old custom of tarring and feathering... :lol:
Yes I agree with you, that if there will be any material change, it will be after the elections.
helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs »

The decline of the Dollar is something that has been predicted and feared since a long time now. There are multiple reasons for this process, even if the deficit of the current administration should contribute significantly, it's certainly not the main problem. The effect that politics (even the "most powerful man/woman of the western world") have on our worldwide economic system is limited and it continues to decrease.
Beatminister
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Beatminister »

helloggs wrote:The decline of the Dollar is something that has been predicted and feared since a long time now. There are multiple reasons for this process, even if the deficit of the current administration should contribute significantly, it's certainly not the main problem. The effect that politics (even the "most powerful man/woman of the western world") have on our worldwide economic system is limited and it continues to decrease.
Well, it´s partly true and partly not...
The present economical crisis in the US is not caused by international economical problems - its rather the other way round.
The thing is: starting a war can be profitable - if you win it. WW2 was a good example for that. And it was the last time the US really won a war against a enemy who is stronger than Luxemburg. Since then, they have had a long chain of intervention wars that they lost, or came out with a draw at best.
This has always strained the US economy, but they are a big country and managed to recover each time. But this "war against terrorism" is running in its 7th year now - thats already 3 years longer than the US engagement in WW2! Even the strongest economy cannot finance this forever.
At the end of the day its always the administration who is responsible - either by actively failing in their doing, or by reacting wrongly to outside influences. If its enough to say "well, the circumstances and all... its not my fault" after screwing up, then I´m qualified to become president too - I could do that. :wink:
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

8O WOW!! 8O Look at this: 1 € =1.53756 US$ !!!! 8O
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
Beatminister
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Beatminister »

Shall we take bets that it reaches 1:2 before Bush is replaced? :twisted:
helloggs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by helloggs »

Here is my bet: whoever takes office on 01/20/09, it will have no influence on the EUR/$ exchange rate whatsoever. :)

(Besides that, I won't comment on your kindergarten point of view about economics any more, it's obviously useless 8) )
Beatminister
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Beatminister »

helloggs wrote:](Besides that, I won't comment on your kindergarten point of view about economics any more, it's obviously useless 8)
You are correct in that assumption. :wink:
And whatever you or I expect - time will teach us the truth.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

European soul, European pride.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Today, € 1 = $ 1,5770.

Accelerated downfall today - because of Bear Stearns, maybe?
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

European soul, European pride.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

And voilà ... 1,5423. Maybe we're on the way back to "normal" again.

Christian
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

tabbs wrote:And voilà ... 1,5423. Maybe we're on the way back to "normal" again.

Christian
Normal being 1,5, eh? :)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Actually 1.50 would be easy for on-the-fly calculations :) but still a little high. Except that the rate won't go down much further unless the ECB lowers its interest rates and/or the economy in the US looks more confident again. Both scenarios are somewhat unlikely these days.

Have just come back from a trip to the US, and no, in such a situation I won't complain about the exchange rate, hehe. But on previous trips, when I said how inexpensive this or that was in the US compared to here, people would often smile. Now the first thing I hear is a comment about the poor performance of the US dollar ...

Christian

Return to “Europe-Board”