Euros in the ten new countries

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Mullams
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Mullams »

Yeah, that would have been funny! And I'm wondering if I'm ever gonna get one here myself...
nickx
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by nickx »

LJUBLJANA, Slovenia, Jan 15, 2007 (AP Worldstream via COMTEX) -- Two weeks after Slovenia's smooth move into the group of nations that use the euro currency, top European Union officials are expected in Ljubljana on Monday to welcome the ex-Yugoslav country into the euro club.

European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso, German Chancellor Angela Merkel - whose country currently holds the EU presidency - and European Central Bank President Jean-Claude Trichet are to attend the celebration, which falls on the 15th anniversary of Slovenia's independence.

The country of 2 million introduced the euro on Jan. 1, becoming the 13th nation to use the single European currency - and the only one of the 10 countries that joined the bloc two years ago so far to satisfy the economic criteria needed to join the euro zone.

The Slovene tolar was in use alongside the euro for only 14 days. From Monday, the euro is the only legal currency.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

nickx wrote:the only one of the 10 countries that joined the bloc two years ago so far to satisfy the economic criteria needed to join the euro zone
Seems the news agency did not quite get the dates right. The ten did not join two years ago but on 1 May 2004. Anyway, I find it amazing that the cash changeover took only two weeks in Slovenia, and not three years plus (up to) two months. Great job!

And now, isn't it time to rename this discussion? Depending on how one counts, we have twelve or two "new EU countries". :wink:

Christian
nickx
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by nickx »

tabbs wrote:Anyway, I find it amazing that the cash changeover took only two weeks in Slovenia, and not three years plus (up to) two months. Great job!
Of course, if someone still has some tolars (maybe that's more interesting for non-Slovenian residents), they can be exchanged for euros on our banks, with no deadline at all.

And yes, you are certainly right about May 1st 2004.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

nickx wrote:Of course, if someone still has some tolars (maybe that's more interesting for non-Slovenian residents), they can be exchanged for euros on our banks, with no deadline at all.
Since you mentioned people in other countries, let me add that whoever has tolar notes in Germany and Austria can have them changed into euro cash free of charge at any branch office of the central bank - Austria: OeNB, Germany: Bundesbank - until the end of February. And I think that all central banks in Euroland offer that service. As from March, Banka Slovenije would be the place to go, but until then, the other central banks are at your service. :)

Christian
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by starcapitan »

well :flag-si: has € and Image & Image are joinig in 08 , Image will have another referendum and maybe Image will join in 09

Maybe you should change the the title of the topic in . . the 10 + 2 . . as no more entries are in sight

ciao,andrea

see here 4 details about the ten new countries € coins info
YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
Web Designer della web agency WEDESA :flag-it:
girls legs SUPERFAN
melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus »

exactly 1 week left for us (Malta) and the little island of Cyprus to join the euro :-)

Post by Guest »

[spam removed/avij]
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Not sure what the previous post is about. But if it's Slovakia and the euro, here http://www.eurobilltrackerforum.com/vie ... hp?t=11105 is some more info ...

Christian
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

starcapitan wrote:Image will have another referendum and
where did you find this info ?
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Here for example:
http://www.eubusiness.com/news-eu/1207305120.75
http://euobserver.com/9/26115

The second article even has some details about possible schedules - ie. not one "big bang" referendum but several ones. Well, with the way the EU is going these days, they may not make much sense. We'll see.

Christian
Phaseolus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Phaseolus »

referendums ? Aren't they these polls where you ask a question to a lot of people that have no clue about the question asked and that give an answer to another question that they understand ?

Organising a referendum on such issue, it seems to me that the poloticiancs do not want to take the political risk linked to the mandate they received whilst they got elected. :roll:

Well, anyway, the Danes can decide what they want... I don't really care : it will not change a single thing in my personal life... :twisted:
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Basically I agree - matters such as the Constitutional Treaty or the Lisbon Treaty are very complex and can, in my opinion, rarely be decided upon by a simple Yes or No. Then again, members of a parliament often vote following a party or coalition line without really knowing a bill in detail ... :roll:

This particular case however is a little different. Denmark originally rejected the Maastricht Treaty in a referendum in 1992. Then some opt-out clauses (defense, currency, etc.) were built in, and in a second referendum (1993) they agreed to the modified treaty. So any substantial changes to the results or rather effects of that referendum should not be made without another referendum.

Christian

Return to “Europe-Board”