European Parliament Elections - Whom to vote?

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

European Parliament Elections - Whom to vote?

Post by Dakkus »

So, it is time to vote in the EP elections quite soon. In case that someone else is having the same problem I have had - finding out what the heck the parties actually think of the European Union - I'd like to bring this website to your attention: http://www.euprofiler.eu/ . It asks you some questions, and based on them shows you what kind of opinions the different parties have and which one is closest to those of yours.

Might help in the difficult task of choosing the right party :)
And the graphs you get to see in the end can be quite interesting, too. You can even compare your opinons to the opinons of for example the Bulgarian or Swiss parties and see, where the parties are most euro sceptic.

And what's most important: don't forget to vote, comrades! :)

I might also like to use the occassion to utter my annoyance on the election advertisements of different parties over here in Germany.
One party is only making advertisements of other parties' bad sides, saying nothing at all about what they are thinking theirselves - apparently because they are thinking nothing at all, just want to get the nice salary(?).
Another one is saying stuff likes "Away from Afganistan", which is a bit absurd from a party that apparently does /not/ want to move the power on military decisions from the countries to the European Parliament. Why do they vote for theirselves?
Then there are the clever lassies saying "We in Europe", with the German flag very visibly in the background of the word "We". At least to my eyes this only looks like "yes, we are in Europe, but the others should FROG OFF and let us get all the money. GRUAHAHAHA!" - thus not very productive.
Then there's the party that is just saying "save the world" in it's advertisements, not really defining any closer, how.

How on Earth would I be supposed to many any kind of decision based on signs without any content whatsoever?
After going through the "electoral machine" I linked above, I was really surprised of how a certain party actually had almost precisely the same opinions as I do - even though they had done their best to hide it from their advertisements.

How are your experiences?
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: European Parliament Elections - Whom to vote?

Post by starcapitan »

I am Green

Visit >>> http://www.europarl.europa.eu/elections2009 2 have information about the elections
YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
Web Designer della web agency WEDESA :flag-it:
girls legs SUPERFAN
Schlauchen
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training
Location: Kleinschwarzenbach / Helmbrechts / Franconia / Germany

Post by Schlauchen »

It's interesting to see that if I would live in finland or in the czech republic, there would be three parties which would have more or less my opinion, instead living in Cyprus, the parties are far away from my points of view.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

EU profiler has been very precise to synthetize my personal political position (neither left neither right, maximum support to the European unit), but contains great imprecisions in the indications near the positions of the parties regarding Europe. For example, in Italy it marks reasonably europeist the political coalition that has spend years on campaign of disinformation against the euro with the true objective to damage the opposing coalition…
European soul, European pride.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Crazy Bob »

According to this site, my political views are most in line (70.4%) with the Dutch Liberal Democratic Party, a party I had never even heard of before visiting this site. However, it's strange that the two graphics ("Your position" and "Nearest party") show two different parties as "nearest to me" :roll: :?

By the way, some questions are worded pretty badly, such as the 26th ("The European Parliament should be given more powers"). If this relates to taking away powers from national parliaments and giving them to the EP, I would disagree, but if it relates to giving the EP more powers in matters in their relation to the Commission and other EU institutions, I would agree.

By the way, nice to see that the Saadet Partisi of Turkey is against Turkey in the EU.
japh
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by japh »

According to this site the closest party to my views is FF followed by FG. However KESK in Finland directly hits my position.
androl
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: München (Myeenack, Mjuncken), Deutschland (Chairmany, Djutschländ)

Post by androl »

Crazy Bob wrote:nice to see that the Saadet Partisi of Turkey is against Turkey in the EU.
there are also German parties who are for exiting from the EU and re-introducing the D-Mark :roll:

I could choose from 31 different parties
for example
"Party of Bible-abiding Christians"
"feminist party THE WOMEN"
"CHRISTIAN CENTRE - For a German after GOD'S commandments"
"German communist party"
"Party for social equality, section of the Fourth International"
"the violets - for spiritual politics"
"Europe - Democracy - Esperanto"
"Pirate party Germany"
"Pensioners (female) and pensioners (male) party"
"Pensioners-party-Germany" (yes, these are two different parties)
Joshu, a Chinese Zen master, asked a cow:
"Do you have Buddha-nature or not?"
The cow answered: "Moo."
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

Results: http://www.elections2009-results.eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or http://www.euronews.eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
European soul, European pride.
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by starcapitan »

ART wrote:Results: http://www.elections2009-results.eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
INTERESTING
YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
girls legs SUPERFAN
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

What is it with the number of "Others" having exploded like that?
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by starcapitan »

good result of the greens .. Not in my country :-(
girls legs SUPERFAN
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Dakkus wrote:What is it with the number of "Others" having exploded like that?
Mostly due to the British Conservatives and the Italian PD (Partito Democratico), see:
http://www.elections2009-results.eu/en/ ... es_en.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Christian

Return to “Europe-Board”