Estonia in EMU on first January 2011

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Perhaps Estonia in EMU on first January 2011

Post by tabbs »

Many countries have at some point used their maps on coins. But I don't know of any that do not have anything else but a map on each and every denomination ...

Christian
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by R/J »

My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

No, because neither of those is a map of a country. :mrgreen:

Christian
malu
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by malu »

According to an article in the Swedish newspaper DN today, Olli Rehn was quoted saying the commission had recommended Estonia to be able to join the Euro on 2011-01-01.
maarsy
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Estonia in EMU on first January 2011

Post by maarsy »

maybe we need to hold a small meeting in estonia in januari
starcapitan
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by starcapitan »

well , it's official :D
YOUTUBE channel, tracker with 25 hits also internationals and searching for the first triple ;0)
Web Designer della web agency WEDESA :flag-it:
girls legs SUPERFAN
zarazek
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by zarazek »

Estonian coins are so ugly that if I'm ever given change in them, I'll refuse to accept it and ask for coins from somewhere else :P
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

The "problem" with the Estonian coins is that currently there are low denomination pieces only. 1 euro for example is about 15 krooni, 2 euro is 31 krooni. But the highest denomination coin in circulation is the 1 kroon piece (~6 cent) or, if you include commemorative issues, the 5 krooni coin. Everything else is paper - or cashless. :) So maybe the people who voted on the designs were not really aware of the fact that some of the future coins would actually be worth something ...

Christian
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

tabbs wrote:The "problem" with the Estonian coins is that currently there are low denomination pieces only. 1 euro for example is about 15 krooni, 2 euro is 31 krooni. But the highest denomination coin in circulation is the 1 kroon piece (~6 cent) or, if you include commemorative issues, the 5 krooni coin. Everything else is paper - or cashless. :) So maybe the people who voted on the designs were not really aware of the fact that some of the future coins would actually be worth something ...

Christian
True. Somehow it had never occurred to me until now that I have actually always only used banknotes for buying tram tickets in Tallinn. That will see a change. I wonder if Estonia has a chance of switching to a good-looking design? Maybe it could be possible to just look the truth into eyes and aknowledge that having a televote, where 2% of the population cast their vote, was not a very good way of decisionmaking in such a case..
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
WinstonSmith
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by WinstonSmith »

But I guess they're already being printed, aren't they?.
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by R/J »

WinstonSmith wrote:But I guess they're already being printed, aren't they?.
Coins aren't printed, they are struck. But I believe they are being struck already, in Finland.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

R/J wrote:Coins aren't printed, they are struck. But I believe they are being struck already, in Finland.
Or "minted" which is a little closer to "printed". ;) Right, the Mint of Finland makes them. They will literally be shipped to Estonia then - the total weight of the pieces will be about six hundred tons (600,000 kg) which, from what I have read, translates to about 30 truckloads.

Guess we will soon hear and read more about the pieces. According to the Estonian euro communication schedule, this is planned for July (no precise date provided): "An introductory trip for Estonian journalists to Mint of Finland that will produce Estonia's euro coins" - see http://euro.eesti.ee/EU/Prod/Euroveeb/M ... ingl_k.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And no, Dakkus, I don't think they will modify the designs again. Maybe at some later stage ... I hope.

Christian
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

According to a news article just published, they have not been minting the Estonian coins yet.
The article mentions that minting the coins will begin on Tuesday next week (that is: 2010-07-20) and will indeed take place in Vantaa, Finland.
Article here: http://www.hs.fi/talous/artikkeli/Kaupp ... 5258575957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And through kuukl almost in English: http://translate.google.fi/translate?js ... =en&swap=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also didn't know that they have minted coins for Ireland in Vantaa, as well.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by R/J »

That is true. I had heard coins would started to be minted as soon as the definitive decision on the joining of Estonia was made. But that was only this week. (There were so many decisions to make, and all were in the news as 'trivial'.)
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Dakkus wrote:According to a news article just published, they have not been minting the Estonian coins yet.
The article mentions that minting the coins will begin on Tuesday next week (that is: 2010-07-20) and will indeed take place in Vantaa, Finland.
Ah, thanks. Makes sense to wait - after all, even though pretty much every light on the way was green this year, making them without the final go-ahead would have been strange. Also, it does not take that long to produce them.
I also didn't know that they have minted coins for Ireland in Vantaa, as well.
Yep, they did and do. The mint in Vantaa has produced euro coins for Cyprus, Finland (surprise), Greece, Ireland, Luxembourg, and Slovenia. And I am pretty sure they get orders from outside the euro area as well. If we look at it the other way round, the Irish euro coins have been made in Austria, Croatia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, and the UK. :)

Christian

Return to “Europe-Board”