Norway in Europe

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

da Burp
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by da Burp »

Aaron wrote:Norwegians have discussed about joining to EMU but not to the union. That would be strange... 8O

The reason why Norwegians and Icelandic don't want to join to EU is the fishing rights of the North Atlantic area. If they joined to the Union they would have to share the fishing territories with other EU countries and that would be a disaster to their economy. That's why I understand their opinion concerning EU very well.
If they go on with fishing the quantities they catch now, there won't be much left to catch sooner or later. So they'll do their economy harm either way sooner or later as well.

AFAIK The Danish also have contributed to overfishing, but they're part of te EU after all. So they seem to manage.

And many fishingcompanies use a lot of tricks to overcome the quotas like sailing under a "flag of convenience", which are flag of countries like panama who don't participate in international fishing treaties.
Van Geel
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by Van Geel »

I don't think that Norwegians want to join the EU. The referendum made that clear.
giberski
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by giberski »

That's true, I've been living there, for a couple of months and the Norwegians don't want and need (in their opinion) all the rules the EU makes. They can take care of theirselves and they don't want to people telling them what to do. And I have to say, I'm bloody jealous on them.

Giberski
Main organiser of EBTM06: Amsterdam and national meetings in Zwolle and Leiden.
Have you been to Holland? Join the Bingo
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

Many times, they take over the rules by the EU, without having a say in it. So, I'm not jealous at all.
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

groentje wrote:Many times, they take over the rules by the EU, without having a say in it. So, I'm not jealous at all.
Exactly. They have to follow the EU norma to sell their goods in the european market... but they can't influence the decisions.

It's an illusion of independance. Moreover, they belong to the Shengen area...
EuroNederweert
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by EuroNederweert »

Norway must be a member of the EU.
In my opinion, Turkey, Ukraine, Roemania, etc, may be a member of the EU, the EU must not stop on the borders of Europe, but go furter and furter.
EBT name changed in Montfort
helicase00
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by helicase00 »

EuroNederweert wrote: the EU must not stop on the borders of Europe, but go furter and furter.
ohh and we keep on paying taxes for less richer countries; and we get nothing out of it. No the EU should not expand further to its European boundaries... if it does so; it will dilute itself and it will be more a united nations rather than a European union. also if the EU keeps on expanded there will be a lot of different opinions and they will less agree ; its already difficult as an EU25 much more countries i think it would collapse shortly
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

At the moment, you also pay for regions within your country with less financial means, you even pay for individual families in your hometown who have less means. I don't see the difference, exept for the scale...
Licht & Feuer
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: Im Osten des Westens der auch als Süden des Nordens betrachtet wird

Post by Licht & Feuer »

Thats maybe the reason for Norway staying outside, they are very rich and with joining the EU they would become a large "netto-payer".
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

They can do that, yes, but this way, they also don't have most of the benefits of membership...
giberski
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by giberski »

But really, what membership advantages that we have do they miss? Really if they could not live with it the country was having problems now,but they don't, they manage theirselves.
Main organiser of EBTM06: Amsterdam and national meetings in Zwolle and Leiden.
Have you been to Holland? Join the Bingo
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

It might be we have to pay the expenses of developing the less developed areas, but I'm very positive the money will start paying itself back in a few decades. As long as we don't do things in such an idiotic way as Germany has done (for example killing the eastern school system and then taking it back via Finland), the whole Europe will get better when its poorer regions get more equal.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
an-148

norway

Post by an-148 »

I guess they will join when their oildrillings will reach the peak (very soon, unless they discover new oilfields)
Today, for example, the meat is already five times more expensive than in neighbouring EU !!!!!!!!!!!
With oil becoming rar, they will change their mind about joining or not!
:wink:
Aurelie
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Aurelie »

They just find another place with millions liter of petrol in west Norway.

And tonight the Norwegian first minister said that the french No in EU will stop any project of joining EU soon.
So Norway in EU : it's not for tomorrow. :(
daniellez
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by daniellez »

Aurelie wrote:They just find another place with millions liter of petrol in west Norway.

And tonight the Norwegian first minister said that the french No in EU will stop any project of joining EU soon.
So Norway in EU : it's not for tomorrow. :(
That's a pity. I'd love to have Norway (and Sweden and Denmark as well) in the Euro zone.
Progress is a comfortable disease - E.E. Cummings

Return to “Europe-Board”