Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Chronology of the European Monetary Union

Post by ART »

Fundamental steps of Euro from the dawn to the institution:

November - Pierre Werner propose the institution of an European currency of account called " Euror ".

The Committee for the United States of Europe (said Monnet Committee also, because formed in October 1955 for proposal of Jean Monnet) proposes to realize an European Union of the Monetaries Reserve, like first step towards an European currency.

The Marjolin Memorandum proposes a sort of monetary union to realize with fixed cross rates between currencies of the EEC.

Van Campen report in favor of a federal organization of the central banks.

The European Commission propose the institution of a system of fixed cross rates between the European currencies and the creation of an European reserve currency like stage towards the monetary union.

November - Werner proposes the creation of a Monetary Institute of the Community that implements and directs an European common monetary policy.

November - Dichgans Report on the creation of the European Monetary Union.

The European Commission elaborate the Bars Report resuming the idea of the fixed cross rates.

December - The chiefs of state and government of EEC, in Den Haag, agrees on the objective of the monetary union and shows the institution of an European fund of reserve.

October - Introduced the Werner Report on the realization of the monetary union. The plan foresaw the institution of a common currency on December 31th, 1980.

Scannings of the original document in English
http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/emu ... ystage.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

French
http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/emu ... ecomon.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

German
http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/emu ... severw.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dutch
http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/emu ... nlikin.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The MFE (European Federalist Movement) launch the "Campaign for the european common currency" proposing for the future currency the name " Euro ".

April - Born the "Snake", agreement for the regulation of the cross rates between Belgium, France, Germany, Italy and The Netherlands.

October - The European Council of Paris confirm the objective of monetary union proposed in Den Haag.

March - Created the EUA (European Unit of Account), a basket of fixed amounts of currencies of the nine states of EEC. This new unit replaces the gold unit of account used since the creation of the Community for the computations in the agricultural sector and the budget.

November - The Manifest of the Helloween day on European monetary union, published from nine economists in " The Economist ", contain the proposal of creation of a parallel currency.

October - Speech of R. Jenkins (President of the Commission) in Florence with the propose to resume the plan of monetary unification.

April - European Council of Copenhagen: Giscard d'Estaing and Schmidt propose the creation of the EMS (European Monetary System).

December - The European Council of Bruxelles/Brussel institute the EMS.

March - The EMS enter in function with Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, The Netherlands and Italy. The value and the composition are initially equal of EUA and from January 1981 the ECU will replace the EUA as unit of account in the community budgets.

February - The European Parliament approve the plan of the Treaty of European union elaborated from the Spinelli Commission, than lunch again the plan of monetary union.

December - Formation of the Committee for the European monetary union (Committee Giscard d'Estaing-Schmidt).

The Padoa-Schioppa report defines the monetary union optimal solution for Europe in mid term.

Presentation of favorable opinions for monetary union from the Action Committee for the United States of Europe, from the minister Balladur, the European Prime Minister Genscher and from the president of the European Commission Delors.

March - Presentation of the proposal of monetary union from the Committee Giscard d'Estaing-Schmidt

June - The European Council of Hannover, presided from J. Delors, institutes the committee in order to study and to propose the concrete stages for the monetary union.

Aprlil - Presentation of the Delors Report.

June - The European Council of Madrid decides the beginning of the first phase of the monetary union second the prescriptives of the Delors Report.

April - Common letter of Kohl and Mitterrand to the other chiefs of state and government that proposes to accelerate the process, fixing a calendar for the intergovernmental conference for the monetary union.

November - Plan of the ESCB (European System of Central Banks) and ECB statutes.

December - The intergovernmental Conference for the monetary union is opened to Rome.

December - Conclusion of the intergovernmental Conference for the monetary union.

December - European Council of Maastricht: final agreements on the treatys for the monetary union and is decided that the passage to the third phase of the monetary union, with the introduction of the Euro, will have to happen within January 1st, 1999.

Signed the Maastricht Treaty.

On first January the Euro is unique currency, to all the effects, initially usable in form of cheque and electronic money only. The EUR /US $ cross rate in its first day of life is 1,1667. In 2002 the cash of former-currencies is simply replaced by Euro coins and notes.
European soul, European pride.
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Chronology of the European Monetary Union

Post by Jes »

Nice work! :D

I like reading things like this one! Congrats! :D

Now, it might be a good idea to include that from 2007 onwards there were several enlargements of the EMU area (Slovenia, Cyprus & Malta, Slovakia and then, Estonia)

Once again: I like reading it! 8)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

Thanks, I have written it because I think it's important to know the history of the monetary union.
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by claudio vda »

I don't know if they can be considered, but during the World War II some anti-fascists were theorizing an European Union for the future.
My statistics on EBTCHECK (Latest update 11.03.2024)
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

ART wrote:Thanks, I have written it because I think it's important to know the history of the monetary union.
I think it is important too.
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

claudio vda wrote:I don't know if they can be considered, but during the World War II some anti-fascists were theorizing an European Union for the future.
I know, but in this chronology I limit me to the concrete steps of the monetary union only.

However I will write about WWII age project of union in other thread.

Return to “Europe-Board”