Europanto

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

Europanto

Post by Guest »

While viewing one of or 'concurrent' (Eurotracer) sites :( I noticed it was available in Europanto.

I wonder if we have some willing translators among our ranks who could translate EBT into this new and artificial language. :P
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Europanto

Post by emmem »

Oops, previous message was mine. Guess I waited too long before posting. :oops:
EuroBillTracker
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Europanto

Post by EuroBillTracker »

emmem wrote: Oops, previous message was mine. Guess I waited too long before posting. :oops:
I thought it was a joke when somone sent me the email about it a few months ago.
Did you visit the europanto web site ? It says the language is copyrighted...
matt.berlin
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by matt.berlin »

I actually read about europanto in the Guardian ages and ages ago .. but had completely forgotten about it. However, despite being the most pro-European person in the whole of the British Isles (if not European continent) .. I take exception at something which is specifically intended to destroy my mother tongue from within (we've already got the USA for that :wink:).

It is this kinda thing from bureaucrats that gives the EU a bad name. Isn't the diversity in our languages and cultures what makes us special?
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by pinguino79 »

matt.berlin wrote: Isn't the diversity in our languages and cultures what makes us special?
Yes! Diversity in languages and cultures, but sharing common roots and cooperating. This is the real richness of Europe, not the Euro.
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
esperantisto
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by esperantisto »

Actually, Europanto is a huge joke (created by a rogue Esperantist, mind you). I would be interested in seeing eurobilltracker in Esperanto, but I am not certain I have the time to do it myself. I am considering writing an article about it for the magazine of the world Esperanto youth, maybe that would generate some interested people w/ enough time to do the job.
matt.berlin
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by matt.berlin »

Well, according to its inventor .. it's not supposed to be a language of its own like Esperanto ... it's just a way of in the end, creating a language with English as it's base, for Europe.

That therefore implies our languages should merge, he argues they are already and that Europanto is simply speeding up that process. However, I think many Europeans would agree that we don't need a single language ... in fact, we don't want one.
pinguino79
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by pinguino79 »

matt.berlin wrote: That therefore implies our languages should merge, he argues they are already and that Europanto is simply speeding up that process.
:?
Thanks for clearing up things.
I thought it was a project to create a sort of neutral language for Europe to be kept as a second language. We wouldn't need it anyway, as English already serves the purpose.
And the idea of national languages disappearing scares me...
4 gmail invites available. Send a PM providing your e-mail address.
matt.berlin
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by matt.berlin »

pinguino79 wrote:I thought it was a project to create a sort of neutral language for Europe
That's what I thought ... until I read more closely. Always check the small print!
esperantisto
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by esperantisto »

OTOH Esperanto is a neutral, easy-to-learn second language that does not endanger national (or regional) languages and is not biased towards one of the 12 eurozone countries.
emmem
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Europanto

Post by emmem »

EuroBillTracker wrote: I thought it was a joke when somone sent me the email about it a few months ago.
I don’t know but I have this feeling it might indeed be a joke…
EuroBillTracker wrote: Did you visit the europanto web site ?
I did (if you are referring to http://www.contagions.com/europanto/europanto.html). And also some intresting links on the site.
EuroBillTracker wrote: It says the language is copyrighted...
I didn’t find this anywhere on the Europanto site itself. But it looks as if it’s a trademark. Anyway if you want to put Europanto on EBT and label it as such the best thing to do is ask Diego Marani for his approval first.
matt.berlin wrote: something which is specifically intended to destroy my mother tongue from within
I fully understand that. But it says it will cause international English to implode. Not national English. So I presume your mother tongue will be relatively safe. 8)
esperantisto wrote: I would be interested in seeing eurobilltracker in Esperanto
Me too (although I have to admit I don’t know any Esperanto :?).
pinguino79 wrote: And the idea of national languages disappearing scares me...
Even if Europanto was widely used once of a sudden, I think it won’t make national languages disappear. They will have their influence on each other, yes, but they won’t replace them.
esperantisto wrote: Esperanto is a neutral, easy-to-learn second language that does not endanger national (or regional) languages
I’ve read somewhere that Europanto is a treat for Esperanto. The words Europanto and Esperanto could be easily confused. :?
matt.berlin
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by matt.berlin »

You can hardly easily separate the different types of English spoken .. they will all influence each other.
mts
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by mts »

matt.berlin wrote: I take exception at something which is specifically intended to destroy my mother tongue from within (we've already got the USA for that :wink:).
And other languages already got the English language for that :P
micro
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by micro »

If Malta joins the EU, as posted in another thread, I like the fact that another English-speaking country joins us. So the whole EU could soon switch to English! :wink:

(Maybe the French wouldn't like that?)
matt.berlin
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by matt.berlin »

English is used enough already ... after all, the ECB only uses English. There isn't even any German in the building. Over-reliance on English is very dangerous ...

Anyway, Malta isn't entirely anglophone.

Return to “Europe-Board”