The next eurozone members

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

zeusdias
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

The next eurozone members

Post by zeusdias »

Which will be, in your opinion, the next eurozone members?

l think that Lithuania, Latvia and Bulgaria have, at this moment, the most chances to be the next eurozone members, possibly between 2014 and 2015.
De-Ker
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: The next eurozone members

Post by De-Ker »

Please, non for the next 5 years. and your suggestions latvia and bulgaria are among the worst contestants. Latvia suffered heavy economic degration and bulgaria is corrupt as hell.

First get the euro to a stable level. That might even lead to the deviding the euro zone. Because this frankly doesn't work. If spain will collapse, the whole euro will. Some county's should just take the blow, and start over. Look at iceland for instance. They got a massive degration of the kronar, and now 2 years later, they are able to start get money on international markets. Eurocounties like Greece Ireland and maybe portugal will doing crap for the next 20 years if the eurozone stayes as it is now.

To answer your question. Maybe Poland or czech republic (if they are less eurosceptical) will be the next country to join the euro.
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

You can read the concerning article in wikipedia (which is more or less frecuently updated), to avoid recurring threads. ;)
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

De-Ker wrote:That might even lead to the deviding the euro zone. Because this frankly doesn't work. If spain will collapse, the whole euro will. Some county's should just take the blow, and start over. Look at iceland for instance. They got a massive degration of the kronar, and now 2 years later, they are able to start get money on international markets. Eurocounties like Greece Ireland and maybe portugal will doing crap for the next 20 years if the eurozone stayes as it is now.
I don't agree, for two reasons.

To remain in the monetary union for these states is a way to react to the difficultes, while outside from the monetary union their politicians would feel themselves authorized to doing crap in order to have easy consent of the citizens, for example devaluations and public debit without control. Moreover Iceland is a small country and has been able easy to avoid the total collapse with international aid, instead the others are much larger and the consequences would be get worse.

Second: the monetary union isn't a "club", where everyone enters and exits as it please, leaving quickly at first difficulty.
European soul, European pride.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

zeusdias wrote:Which will be, in your opinion, the next eurozone members?
As things stand now is impossible to determine...
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

btw: What abour San Marino... :roll:
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
De-Ker
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by De-Ker »

ART wrote:
De-Ker wrote:That might even lead to the deviding the euro zone. Because this frankly doesn't work. If spain will collapse, the whole euro will. Some county's should just take the blow, and start over. Look at iceland for instance. They got a massive degration of the kronar, and now 2 years later, they are able to start get money on international markets. Eurocounties like Greece Ireland and maybe portugal will doing crap for the next 20 years if the eurozone stayes as it is now.
I don't agree, for two reasons.

To remain in the monetary union for these states is a way to react to the difficultes, while outside from the monetary union their politicians would feel themselves authorized to doing crap in order to have easy consent of the citizens, for example devaluations and public debit without control. Moreover Iceland is a small country and has been able easy to avoid the total collapse with international aid, instead the others are much larger and the consequences would be get worse.

Second: the monetary union isn't a "club", where everyone enters and exits as it please, leaving quickly at first difficulty.
Within one union we are paying our own debts within the same currency area...which in essence means, nothing happens, since every euro is worth the same.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Jes wrote:btw: What abour San Marino... :roll:
San Marino already is a eurozone member officially, though not a member of EU.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

De-Ker wrote:Within one union we are paying our own debts within the same currency area...which in essence means, nothing happens, since every euro is worth the same.
I borrowed euros from you to buy myself a new apartment. Now I cannot pay you back, since I recently got unemployed. But hey, it doesn't matter: since we both use euros, there is no point in paying you back, in essence nothing would happen if I paid! :roll:

(I'll send you my IBAN and BIC, we'll just need to agree on the amount that you'll pay me :wink:)
De-Ker
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by De-Ker »

Craft wrote:
De-Ker wrote:Within one union we are paying our own debts within the same currency area...which in essence means, nothing happens, since every euro is worth the same.
I borrowed euros from you to buy myself a new apartment. Now I cannot pay you back, since I recently got unemployed. But hey, it doesn't matter: since we both use euros, there is no point in paying you back, in essence nothing would happen if I paid! :roll:

(I'll send you my IBAN and BIC, we'll just need to agree on the amount that you'll pay me :wink:)
If that apartment was mine, your statement would have made a little bit of sense but that's not even the point.

The point is that countries cannot do a lot to get rid of the lack of money. Normally the currency would devaluate and the amount of debts would do that too. What is happening now is that the richer countries are just moving the money to the incompetent Biigs countries. and frankly i am not really in favor of that.
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Jes »

Craft wrote:
Jes wrote:btw: What abour San Marino... :roll:
San Marino already is a eurozone member officially, though not a member of EU.
Ok, I misunderstood the title of the topic :P thanks for your correction.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

De-Ker wrote:The point is that countries cannot do a lot to get rid of the lack of money. Normally the currency would devaluate and the amount of debts would do that too. What is happening now is that the richer countries are just moving the money to the incompetent Biigs countries. and frankly i am not really in favor of that.
Yes, that is a point, but you didn't say that above :wink: . But I don't agree that the countries couldn't do much to get money. Of course they can do many things, but the means are not necessarily effective enough in desired time. And considering the D-vitamin (=devaluation): it's always both winning and losing, and whether the country gets any benefit from devaluation depends on both how well the country can take advantage of the situation and how the world finances turn in general. My country has a lot of experience of devaluations in history, and mostly not very beneficial. But I agree on the thing that saving big spenders in Europe cannot continue forever.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

De-Ker wrote:. Normally the currency would devaluate and the amount of debts would do that too.
Devaluation is useless: the lessening is of the interests of debt only, not all the debt, but at the same time cove the purchasing power of the population.
De-Ker wrote:What is happening now is that the richer countries are just moving the money to the incompetent Biigs countries. and frankly i am not really in favor of that.
Perhaps I will seem "moralist" but isn't opportune to talk about " PIGS" , " PIIGS" or other absurd acronyms invented to insult... aren't serious and it's rather conformist.

About the money, all the aids are loans therefore not movement of money from lenders states to borrower states but substantially the contrary, because for the loans they pay interests.
groentje
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by groentje »

Within one country, contrasts may by as big as within the Eurozone entirely. Still, they manage with one currency. Because of solidarity, and because there's a government that can take control. That is what lacks in the Eurozone, we're all in one EMU, but we have shit to say in the other countries, and vice versa.
Akai
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Akai »

Andorra in 2013
Last edited by Akai on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Europe-Board”