Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

rlaurenssen
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

What if....?

Post by rlaurenssen »

Hello everyone,

I was watching the news just now when I got home from work, and I was really surprised to see that there are concerns about the financial
situation of Italy. I hope it's not so bad as it looks, but the fact is that this would be the 5th country within the euro-zone that raises issues
about their finances. Apparently there is a meeting in Brussels, so I'm really curious what the outcome will be (fingers crossed).

What if they decide to put an end to the euro soon, what would you do to replace your eurobilltracker hobby. I don't want to be negative about this subject,
but it might be a reality that we need to consider. Of course I don't know how bad the situation really is at this point. I know, it's a scary :cry: thought
for most of us.

What are you're thoughts about it?
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: What if....?

Post by Elmo »

If the euro collapses, the loss of this hobby will be the least of my concerns. Not because I don't care about EBT, but because of the consequences for our civilization. In history, currency collapses went together with massive social unrest, and in some cases resulted in the rise of a strong leader.

In the 1790's the collapse of the Assignat went together with the French Revolution and La Terreur, during which the guillotine worked overtime. It eventually gave rise to Napoleon.

In the early 1920's, the hyperinflation of the Mark[url] in Weimar Germany resulted in the rise ... hina]China was followed by the rise of Mao Zedong, whose Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution resulted in the death of 70 million people.

So if history rhymes, we are in for some interesting times. :wink:

At running the risk of being called a doomsday nutter: if you want to protect some of your wealth, buy some gold and silver. Someone who says they are worthless and useless is either a madman or an economist.
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

From Italy no threat to euro: the state don't risk a default, moreover today has been approved a financial maneuver to get statal balanced budget in 2014.

In general terms the euro doesn't risk to collapse. The real problem is the rudimental organization of the EU, with one currency and strict economic integration but without a "ministry of European economy" and without sufficient political unit. What is happening in this period must serve like stimulus in order to demand a serious progress of the EU unity.
European soul, European pride.
R/J
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by R/J »

ART wrote:The real problem is the rudimental organization of the EU, with one currency and strict economic integration but without a "ministry of European economy" and without sufficient political unit. What is happening in this period must serve like stimulus in order to demand a serious progress of the EU unity.
I completely agree with this part.
My NIG stats have finally disappeared. My EBTST stats are still available.
bhoeyb
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by bhoeyb »

I'm wondering who has the worst financial (near) futur: EURO or USD?
If EBT stops, I'll try not to be part of any currency tracking site again :lol: .
gille
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by gille »

bhoeyb wrote:If EBT stops, I'll try not to be part of any currency tracking site again :lol: .
Me too! :mrgreen:
Brand new website: #IceBucketChallenge Videos
Nerzhul
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Nerzhul »

bhoeyb wrote:If EBT stops, I'll try not to be part of any currency tracking site again :lol: .
Ha, I doubt that ;-)
EBT Webmaster | Author of the EBT-Tool | Dothunter! | EBT News on Twitter
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

It would be sad from my point of view to see the euro go. But maybe it will be inevitable one day, as (unlike in the US) for many people around here doing away with the euro seems to be acceptable or even preferable. The alternative - a closer political union - seems to be a No-No among the EU citizens. As for whether I would use another note tracking site ... hmm, probably not. Tracking notes that circulate within Germany only would simply not be very attractive for me.

Christian

Return to “Europe-Board”