Your opinion of the euro?

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

How do you see the euro at the moment, do you like it, trust it, wish to keep it etc?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:08 am

I see it very positively
27%
I see it mostly positively
40%
I see it only slightly positively
13%
I'm indifferent (not positive, not negative)
13%
I am a little doubtful
7%
I see it mostly negatively
No votes
I see it very negatively
No votes

Total votes: 15

Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Your opinion of the euro?

Post by Craft »

While the financial crisis continues despite various attempts to solve it, people's trust on the euro as single currency seems to be more and more at stake.

Let's see how EBT members think about the euro as a single currency in the present situation.

When you vote, I'd ask you not to think about the euro as a hobby for a while, but as currency, money, etc. in everyday life, business, economy and other aspects.

Feel free to comment your voted option in words.

This poll is active for 60 days.
Last edited by Craft on Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Bob
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Your opinion on the euro?

Post by Crazy Bob »

In the current form, I think the euro's future is doubtful. In my opinion, Greece should be kicked out a.s.a.p., and all banks in the eurozone should be placed under the supervision of the ECB, as apparently (given the billions and billions of euros of support) they are unable to run their operations themselves.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

The euro currency is stable, doesn't generate inflation, don't fluctuate excessively, despite the global crisis and the difficulties of Monetary Union system. The judgment can only be positive.
The problem isn't the euro but the way to manage the monetary union: the really weak point is political, not economic. Europe is too divided, requires a much closer economic and political co-ordination.

Greece cannot be kicked out: Monetary Union isn't a "club" where you can come and go as if it were a game. It would be a sign of lack of seriousness and weakness of the system. Also you can't condemn millions of people to the disaster that they would suffer if they are forced to return to a local currency that would collapse the next day. You must to prevent that outrageous political cannot disguise or combine disasters centralizing at European level the statal budget control.

For we Europeans it's time to be Europeans.
European soul, European pride.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Sorry, for me it is not possible to answer the survey question. When the common currency was created, I welcomed that - and I still think it is a good idea. But of course pretty much everybody knew about its flaws. We simply do not have the "framework" (in terms of fiscal, social etc. policy) that would be necessary for such a currency union to work fine.

So you had pessimists who said, right at the beginning, that "something like this will not work" ... and you had optimists (like me) who believed that, with the euro, things would work as they have worked in some other EU policy areas: "Let's get this rolling, and fix the problems en route." In other words, after some time we would get, probably step by step, the harmonization that the euro area is in dire need of. Except -- nothing has happened in that regard.

Maybe many or even most EUropeans have by now grown tired of the EU, and hail the "good" old concept of separate nation states again. And that corresponds to who ultimately makes the key decisions in the European Union: the Council, which is basically nothing but a body consisting of representatives of various national governments. Who are those (heads of state, chiefs of government, ministers) responsible to -- the European voters? Of course not; they care about their "home" voters.

But I digress ... can I check the box next to "mostly positively but doubtful with regard to its future" please? :mrgreen:

Christian
melitikus
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by melitikus »

ART wrote:The euro currency is stable, doesn't generate inflation, don't fluctuate excessively, despite the global crisis and the difficulties of Monetary Union system. The judgment can only be positive.
The problem isn't the euro but the way to manage the monetary union: the really weak point is political, not economic. Europe is too divided, requires a much closer economic and political co-ordination.
very well said
the problem of the eurozone is not the euro but politics - we cannot have 1 currency with 17 different policies
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

tabbs wrote: Maybe many or even most EUropeans have by now grown tired of the EU, and hail the "good" old concept of separate nation states again.
I hope that this isn't really, because it would a real catastrophe.
European soul, European pride.

Return to “Europe-Board”