65%

Total votes: 63

Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

What's your definition of a European?

Post by Olivier »

Hello all!

We have discussed in the Off-topic area of what would be the best European of all times and soon came in the conversation the idea of a monthly EBT poll to choose our best European of the month..

You are already familiar with this kind of poll, because the principle will be close from the poll on the avatars. First time: nominations. Second time, the vote.
We'll start the poll in a few days. Before we need to know what is a European for you.

Olivier
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: What's your definition of a European?

Post by Olivier »

My opinion: let's limit to the EU citizen first. Then we can enlarge if we need...
!Pretfles!
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by !Pretfles! »

Someone living in the geographical Europe
My Flickr
Personal Blog
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
('.)_('.) webpage to help him gain world domination.
alex77r
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by alex77r »

For me its a EU citizen so I voted for this, but I think that the true definition is "Someone living in the geographical Europe"
The Shortcodes List/Bilan des Codes-courts recensés - website on stand-by
User Control Panel>Board preferences>Edit global settings>(1) Sélectionnez le thème "Subsilver2" pour avoir une apparence ressemblant à l'ancien forum (2) Forum en français désormais possible!
querty
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by querty »

I voted also for someone living in the geographical Europe. But with this rule the best European of the month can be an American or someone from Asia. In my opinion it is better that this person was born in Europe.
Ah, look at all the lonely Euronotes. Where do they all come from? (The Beatles, Eleanor Rigby)

Carpe Ico
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

American is a citizen of Canada, Uruguay, Mexico, USA, Chile or some other country from the same area.
Asian is not always Chinese. An Asian can as well come from Malaysia, Cyprus or India. Or Russia.
By the same logic: An European is anyone who lives in Europe. That means he can be a citizen of some EU country, citizen of Ukraine or for example citizen of Iceleand. Or Russia.

Note that although a Cypriot is a EU citizen, he isn't European. Europe is defined as a continent. If Moldovans are not European, then what are they?

EDIT: s/Crete/Cyprus/
Last edited by Dakkus on Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Dakkus wrote:Note that although a Cypriot is a EU citizen, he isn't European. Europe is defined as a continent.
Hmm, how come? 8O
hjkmans
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by hjkmans »

Craft wrote:
Dakkus wrote:Note that although a Cypriot is a EU citizen, he isn't European. Europe is defined as a continent.
Hmm, how come? 8O
Cyprus is part of Asia, but a EU member, as might the main part of Turkey be in the future.

A citizen from Crete might be Asian, Dakkus, but the island definately belongs to Europe, or what country did you mean?

By the way, I voted for: 'someone living in the geographical Europe' as well. Chechenya is a European problem in this case :?
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

Dakkus wrote:Asian is not always Chinese. An Asian can as well come from Malaysia, Crete or India. Or Russia.
Crete?
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

!Pretfles! wrote:Someone living in the geographical Europe
Ok, but what about the people who were born in Europe but living abroad?
An example? ... Me!
Nobody can deny I am European, even if I have been living in Canada for 2 years.

Our definition should be corrected to "Someone living or born in the geographical Europe" ;-)
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Maybe this conversation properly leads to such a conclusion that all borders & classifications that are supposed to differentiate people from each other are actually more or less artificial. :!:

There may be a geographical border of Europe somewhere drawn on educational maps, but who has decided where the border goes? Is everything outside of it non-European, or is all inside European? Someone whose one parent is "European" and the other "Asian", does she/he belong to both groups or only one, and on what criteria, skin-colour, language, birthplace, living place, thoughts, sympathies, other people's judgement.... ?

I have always thought of Europe as a sort of area on the map which you can approximately point to from some distance, not drawing specific borders but rather referring to its whereabouts in general.
Last edited by Craft on Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

As we can read, this question is not as simple as it seams. :-)
It's a definition of what we are...
golfinha
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by golfinha »

Someone who was born in Europe
Jes
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re:

Post by Jes »

!Pretfles! wrote:Someone living in the geographical Europe
I agree.
Jes Speaks English, French, Spanish, Tokpisin and Esperanto. (Currently learning Swahili).
Don't fear perfection, you'll never reach it! (by Salvador Dali)
my EBT: http://es.eurobilltracker.com/profile/?user=121292" coins and banknote collector. :)
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: What's your definition of a European?

Post by ART »

Really simple: like so there are native and/or inhabitants of the American continent and US-citizen there are native and/or inhabitants of the European continent and EU-citizen.
European soul, European pride.

Return to “Europe-Board”