19%
No
81%

Total votes: 59

francky
Euro-Expert
Euro-Expert

Post by francky »

In France, NO caught up with YES in the surveys...
:?
Francky [fr][en :?: ]
giberski
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by giberski »

In Holland everyday they say, if the Dutchies will vote against the European Constitution it would be a big mistake. Well I will vote AGAINST it
Main organiser of EBTM06: Amsterdam and national meetings in Zwolle and Leiden.
Have you been to Holland? Join the Bingo
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

giberski wrote:Well I will vote AGAINST it
Why?
giberski
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by giberski »

It won't change anything to me, but Europe will get (in my eyes) too much power. More is that we pay most of the money for the EU compared to other countries and we receive the smallest part of it. That's why. I have to admit, I didn't finish reading the constitution yet, halfway, but I don't want Europe getting too big and powerful. I'm afraid to lose my country.
Main organiser of EBTM06: Amsterdam and national meetings in Zwolle and Leiden.
Have you been to Holland? Join the Bingo
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

Ok... But which point in the Constitution makes you think you'll lose your country?
I see nothing very revolutionnary in it. It's just a compilation of all the treaties (Maastricht, Amsterdam...), with some new measures to adapt the size of the new EU (25 countries).
Olivier
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Olivier »

21 March... the last polls in France show the "No" to the Constitution could win in France.
Gauss
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Gauss »

giberski wrote:It won't change anything to me, but Europe will get (in my eyes) too much power.
I predict that such concerns will be the death of the European Union.

The EU has now too many countries to stay as it is. It has been difficult enough to navigate with 15 countries, it will be impossible with 25 - as the negotiations about the constitution showed. In fact, without the miraculous election in Spain the negotiations would have failed at all - and difficult negotiations, which will arise naturally because many agreements (as, but not limited to, the budget), cannot always be resolved that way. With the diverging interests, and the current veto powers each country has, such negotiations are not difficult but hopeless.

The only question is whether is goes forward or backwards. All signs go backwards: to less integration (see your statement), less stability (see the recent relaxation of the Maastricht criteria), less importance in the world. There will be no second chance for the EU as a whole if this constitution fails.
Dakkus
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Dakkus »

Gauss wrote:
giberski wrote:It won't change anything to me, but Europe will get (in my eyes) too much power.
I predict that such concerns will be the death of the European Union.

The EU has now too many countries to stay as it is. It has been difficult enough to navigate with 15 countries, it will be impossible with 25 - as the negotiations about the constitution showed. In fact, without the miraculous election in Spain the negotiations would have failed at all - and difficult negotiations, which will arise naturally because many agreements (as, but not limited to, the budget), cannot always be resolved that way. With the diverging interests, and the current veto powers each country has, such negotiations are not difficult but hopeless.

The only question is whether is goes forward or backwards. All signs go backwards: to less integration (see your statement), less stability (see the recent relaxation of the Maastricht criteria), less importance in the world. There will be no second chance for the EU as a whole if this constitution fails.
Just my words :)
Ko saka āboliņš? Pēk pēk pēk!
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

I support Gauss and Dakkus. Voting against it will be a major setback for the
EU.
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
Ernst
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by Ernst »

I have a problem with this point of view, basically what i get from it is that we should support the constitution because we have to... There is no alternative but chaos.... You might be perfectly right, but It seems to me that this is a serious problem. Politicians just bring projects on their way in such a way it becomes really costly if they fail. That alone says nothing on the projects merits, they just become "necessary".
You can argue about it, but there are legitimate reasons to oppose this constitution, not because you "fear to loose your country", but because of its content, that is after all supposed to become the basic foundation of our union.
Take the example that the constitution states that the unique market and free competition, without any distortions, is a basic aim of the union.
That is a dam far reaching statement, excluding a lot of arrangements common in "Europe". It also defines one school of economic thought as the only valid one for future EU policy making.
From your point of view you can certainly be glad that I am not allowed to vote!

Return to “Europe-Board”