Will you keep tracking notes if the Euro ends?

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

No, my country is too small, no fun at all
22%
Yes, love tracking notes, no matter which one
33%
Not sure, I only started tracking because of the Euro
22%
We cannot let Euro end for EBT's sake!
22%

Total votes: 27

Tik Tak
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Tik Tak »

I feel that the theories, parties, opinions etc about "leaving/ending the Euro" are growing accross all Europe, North to South. What was a tabu idea not so long ago is now the subject of books and political programs made by respected people and not just the usual extremes. The idea of this post is not to discuss the issue, but since the possibility looks more realistic everyday, I want to know what would happen to your bill tracking hobby in such scenario.
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Will you keep tracking notes if the Euro ends?

Post by dserrano5 »

Obviously, living in an EBT desert like Spain, I'd have to quit tracking. It would be pointless here.
an-148
Euro-Master
Euro-Master
Location: summer: Ivanica, BiH ; winter: La Calamine (Liège) BE

Post by an-148 »

end of Euro => end of European Union => wars garanteed !!
so better keep it :wink: :wink:
http://meine.flugstatistik.de/image/an148.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tik Tak
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Tik Tak »

dserrano5 wrote:Obviously, living in an EBT desert like Spain, I'd have to quit tracking. It would be pointless here.
Maybe Spaniards would get more inspired with a brand new peseta... :wink:
Tik Tak
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Tik Tak »

an-148 wrote:end of Euro => end of European Union => wars garanteed !!
so better keep it :wink: :wink:
I agree totally on the second step, the end of the EU would lead to war. I'm not so sure if the end of the Euro would have to imply the end of the EU, though. I'm starting to feel that not ending the Euro in nice and fair terms, and at the same time not making any of the big and pan-European structural changes needed to save the currency, might lead to a chaotic each-for-it-self collapse of the currency and union, and then war.

The current situation won't be sustainable for much long... that seems clear to me. And there's no signs of a growing optimism/interest in EU strengthening..

Still hoping for the best though => :flag-eu:
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

Tik Tak, politicians always say idiocies to gain consensus: no one seriously thinks of destroying the euro (excluding extremists) so don't worry about such questions. Good May 9!
European soul, European pride.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Voted. Well, the introduction of the euro cash was the reason why I started tracking. There had been similar projects in Germany before, but even though DE is fairly big by itself, I just do not find it that interesting to find out whether a note that X entered in Hamburg has been found by Y in Munich. Whether the EU and the euro will come to an end ... don't know. The European Union will never become what (until a couple of years ago) I thought and hoped it might become - an actual union with a democratically elected government that has competences at the EU level, and member state governments that have their competences in fields where an EU-wide legislation is not useful or does not make sense.

However, the member state governments - and even more importantly, the people in these countries - obviously do not want anything like that. The EU has become a convenient scapegoat, and not much else beyond that, for many of its citizens. Don't think this will result in wars. But it is sad, in my opinion, to see how we are heading towards a Europe of the "good" old nation states that used to cooperate in one way or another, building "alliances" that exclude others ...

Christian
dserrano5
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by dserrano5 »

All four options have 3 votes as of now :).
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

tabbs wrote:The European Union will never become what (until a couple of years ago) I thought and hoped it might become - an actual union with a democratically elected government that has competences at the EU level, and member state governments that have their competences in fields where an EU-wide legislation is not useful or does not make sense.

However, the member state governments - and even more importantly, the people in these countries - obviously do not want anything like that.
I'm not sure of this. Earlier today, at least in recent decades, has never been seriously proposed the formation of a federal Europe instead of the fandango we have now. Under current conditions isn't very astonishing if things go as they go...
To know if the majority agree should at least discuss openly and seriously about the project, a serious project, without the current doubts and indecision (and manipulations).
However in my opinion it is necessary not lose hope and do everything possible, because in the short or medium term there will be no wars... but we know how the situation will evolve in the long term.
claudio vda
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by claudio vda »

It's quite hard for me to make previsions about tracking more/stop tracking if the Euro will collapse.

Nowadays I am spending my life in a continuous jumping between Germany, Italy and Belgium with time by time some penetrations if France and the Netherlands: this is possible just because there is a single currency and no borders are there. If the Euro and the Schengen system will collapse my life will need to be totally rebuilt and it is quite hard to make previsions about tracking.

I am quite worry about the fact that many people are simply blind about the terrible consequences of the end of the Euro and I am really angry about those silly newspapers & TV channels blowing upon the fire. But, alas, one of those nationalistic newspapers is the most sold across Europe because people like to heard sentences as "lazy people want to steal the money that good workers like you are producing": this is more self-satisfying than a complex reasoning about the importance of the European Federal Republic.
But self-satisfaction generates monsters.
My statistics on EBTCHECK (Latest update 11.03.2024)
guru
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by guru »

claudio vda wrote: I am quite worry about the fact that many people are simply blind about the terrible consequences of the end of the Euro and I am really angry about those silly newspapers & TV channels blowing upon the fire. But, alas, one of those nationalistic newspapers is the most sold across Europe because people like to heard sentences as "lazy people want to steal the money that good workers like you are producing": this is more self-satisfying than a complex reasoning about the importance of the European Federal Republic.
But self-satisfaction generates monsters.
You are right. Though it's not only some journalists' fault , some (populist) politicians (even ministers or heads of governments) are also to be blamed...
EBT profile: Anastasios
EBTST stats
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

By and large I agree. But quite obviously this idea of not wanting the "EU level" and the European legislative bodies to have even more influence is widespread in many European countries. Remember why, and where, the Constitutional Treaty failed for example? I do certainly not have a solution here either, but the way the EU is going these days is threatening in my opinion. Except that this seems to be what most people want ...

Christian
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

I realize that the risk is high, on the other hand so-called Constitutional Treaty was nothing more than an intergovernmental treaty, like all the others that have governed the EU until today. Regardless of how things go today you have to propose and discuss a real constitution to know what the majority really wants.

Return to “Europe-Board”