Plastic GBP notes from 2016

Discussion/News about Europe, EU, politics

Moderators: Phaseolus, Fons

MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Plastic GBP notes from 2016

Post by MDeen »

The Bank of England (BoE) says it will begin issuing its first new– era plastic 5 and 10 pound banknotes in 2016. When will the ECB start. Would be great to have long lasting notes for our hobby.

http://rt.com/business/british-pound-to ... astic-428/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Re: Plastic GBP notes from 2016

Post by Montgomery Burns »

Well, the introduction of the Europa series would have been an appropriate moment for the ECB. I don't know if they'll consider having some Europa designs in plastic, while others are not. If not, then we know we won't enter the polymer age before 2019, assuming one new Europa design per year. And even by then, the third series of Euro notes will still be some time away (a further five years or so).
Last edited by Montgomery Burns on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

I don't like the plastic banknotes: it is not pleasant to the touch as paper and the surface fades easily in correspondence of the folds. It would be better to use the "Durasafe", composed of a plastic substratum inserted between two paper layers.
European soul, European pride.
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

MDeen wrote:The Bank of England (BoE) says it will begin issuing its first new– era plastic 5 and 10 pound banknotes in 2016. When will the ECB start.
The ECB has just switched from paper or rather cotton money to "paper" with an extra lacquer layer (suggested/developed by the Dutch DNB) to make the notes more durable. Features such as transparent windows are possible with such notes as well.

Personally I don't really like the feel of polymer notes, but apart from that there are other issues: Polymer notes are patent protected, so the euro area printers would have to get some kind of license from the RBA/Securency. Also, in the "sterling area" there is basically one printer while we have quite a few ...

Christian
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Is the introduction going according to plan? And don't forget, you can track you new or old pound notes. :)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56500&hilit=Pound+Sterling
tabbs
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by tabbs »

Montgomery Burns wrote:Is the introduction going according to plan?
This is the new £5 note, featuring Winston Churchill. Images are here for example:

http://news.coinupdate.com/wp-content/u ... SMALLL.jpg
http://news.coinupdate.com/wp-content/u ... 5SMALL.jpg
(Sorry, the forum software won't let me post "pound" links. ;) )

Seems the new fiver (polymer instead of "paper", and smaller than the current one) will come in about three months: Date of first issue will be 13 Sep, with the £10 and £20 notes to follow by 2020.

Christian
dsmithgt2
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by dsmithgt2 »

Clydesdale Bank in Scotland are already a step ahead with polymer £5 notes produced since I think 2015. They're not very common. I've only had about one or two in my possession and when working as a cashier in TK Maxx, I've not seen many in the tills. BoE fivers are actually more common than the fivers produced by any of the banks in Scotland.
MDeen
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by MDeen »

The Scottish GBP notes are certainly rare. I've only ever had one in my possession and I've even heard that they're sometimes not accepted south of the (Scottish) border. Not because they're not legel tender but because they're not recognised as such.
Montgomery Burns
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

I can understand. After all, newer ones have the signature of a Portuguese banker. :lol:
Stevo
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Stevo »

MDeen wrote:Not because they're not legel tender but because they're not recognised as such.
I think you'll find that Scottish bank notes are not legal tender... even in Scotland. Strange but true! (Legal currency is the correct term I believe.)

As for plastic banknotes, I was in Canada recently and their plastic notes with clear windows are cool, as well as being nice and clean looking. A bit weird to hold and fold at first, but you get used to them. So I think plastic bank notes are a great idea.
dsmithgt2
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by dsmithgt2 »

MDeen wrote:The Scottish GBP notes are certainly rare. I've only ever had one in my possession and I've even heard that they're sometimes not accepted south of the (Scottish) border. Not because they're not legel tender but because they're not recognised as such.
Yeah England are for some reason a bit iffy about Scottish and Northern Irish Sterling notes. Kinda hypocritical considering BoE notes are used in Scotland & NI without any fuss. You can even get English notes in some ATM's in Edinburgh, notably out of HSBC ATM's.
Raumi
Euro-Expert in Training
Euro-Expert in Training

Post by Raumi »

Stevo wrote:As for plastic banknotes, I was in Canada recently and their plastic notes with clear windows are cool, as well as being nice and clean looking.
Last week I saw on Twitter someone calling those bills «Maple Pounds» instead of Canadian Dollars. 8O
Spanish representative on the Board of Directors.
Current vice president of the Association Européenne des EuroBillTrackers
My statistics.
Craft
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Craft »

Today the new £5 was put to circulation.
http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publicat ... 6/069.aspx
dsmithgt2
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by dsmithgt2 »

Agh. Could have gotten a pic of one. Got a plastic fiver from a taxi driver on Monday night but used it an hour ago in Starbucks...

Return to “Europe-Board”