SUp3rFM
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Italy minister says should study leaving euro

Post by SUp3rFM »

Italy minister says should study leaving euro
Fri Jun 3, 2005 8:12 AM BST
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

ROME (Reuters) - Italy should consider leaving the single currency and reintroducing the lira, Welfare Minister Roberto Maroni said in a newspaper interview on Friday.

Maroni, a member of the euro-sceptical Northern League party, told the Repubblica daily Italy should hold a referendum to decide whether to return to the lira, at least temporarily.

He also said European Central Bank President Jean-Claude Trichet was one of those chiefly responsible for the "disaster of the euro."

The euro "has proved inadequate in the face of the economic slowdown, the loss of competitiveness and the job crisis," Maroni said.

In this situation, the answer is to give the government greater power to defend national industry from foreign competition and "to give control over the exchange rate back to the government."

Maroni is a front-line government minister but his views are not believed to be shared by those with far greater sway over economic policy, such as Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi or Economy Minister Domenico Siniscalco.

Maroni cited Britain as a virtuous example of a country whose economy "grows and develops, maintaining control over its currency."

When it was put to Maroni that Trichet on Thursday dismissed the idea that monetary union could break up, the minister replied: "Sure, he is one of those chiefly responsible for the disaster of the euro."

He added Trichet should try to convince hard-pressed small Italian businessmen that the euro was a success.

Maroni also dismissed the idea that Italy's struggling economy could face an Argentina-style financial disaster if it abandoned the single currency.

"We're already heading towards Argentina, that's why we have to change direction," he said.

Three years ago Argentina defaulted on its public debt.
In Reuters

Could it happen :?:
EBT User | :flag-eu: +36k tracked & 114 hits | Ratio 1:315.5 ⬆︎
Hits
:flag-at: :flag-be: :flag-fi: :flag-fr: :flag-de: :flag-nl: :flag-pt: :flag-es: | Intercontinental hits with Brazil and Morocco!
393 dots worldwide!

▓▓$▓▓ Where's George: 1.174 tracked, 13 wilds, 4 hits | Ratio 0.34% ⬆︎
micdab
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by micdab »

There was similar news this week from Germany :?

I hope this isn't serious...
my bill maps - i'm proud of them! :)
Elmo
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Elmo »

Oh my... I heard a similar thing on the Dutch radio. :x
Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are 'It might have been.' - Kurt Vonnegut
SUp3rFM
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by SUp3rFM »

I don't know what's the general public opinion in other countries, but in Portugal, you can bet that most of us would support the ideia of gettinb back our old "escudo", instead of the Euro.

In general opinion, the Euro resulted in a massive rise of prices.
Hits
:flag-at: :flag-be: :flag-fi: :flag-fr: :flag-de: :flag-nl: :flag-pt: :flag-es: | Intercontinental hits with Brazil and Morocco!
393 dots worldwide!

micdab
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by micdab »

SUp3rFM wrote:I don't know what's the general public opinion in other countries, but in Portugal, you can bet that most of us would support the ideia of gettinb back our old "escudo", instead of the Euro.

In general opinion, the Euro resulted in a massive rise of prices.
And do people think that going back to the escudo will bring back the old prices?? :lol:
my bill maps - i'm proud of them! :)
SUp3rFM
Euro-Master in Training
Euro-Master in Training

Post by SUp3rFM »

Of course, not! ;)

But at least, they have something real to blame for the increase in prices!
Hits
393 dots worldwide!

knospe
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

Post by knospe »

micdab wrote:There was similar news this week from Germany :?

I hope this isn't serious...
Was just a rumor spread by Stern:!: :!: :!:
Stern is famous for spreading absurd-theories as the truth. Need proof? Look here: One big story of Stern.

No one actually thourght about bringing back the DM:
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/0,1518,358919,00.html wrote:"Eine Rückkehr zur D-Mark ist für Deutschland nach Angaben von Regierungssprecher Béla Anda keine Option."

"Die Bundesbank, die Europäische Zentralbank und das Finanzministerium wiesen dies jedoch umgehend als absurd zurück. "
"Going back to the DM is no Option for Germany." Béla Anda
"The Bundesbank, the ECB und the german Ministry of Finace refuse this immediately as absolute inscane."
BogPoet
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by BogPoet »

SUp3rFM wrote:I don't know what's the general public opinion in other countries, but in Portugal, you can bet that most of us would support the ideia of gettinb back our old "escudo", instead of the Euro..
You can? Where did you heard that? I suppose I'd be in the minority, then... I can't track escudos! ;)

Now, seriously, I don't like the idea of the escudo coming back. I travel abroad two or three times a year, on average, usually to euro-zone countries, so going back to the old currency would be a pain in the... huh, neck. Fortunately, it's just a rumor. :)
Tracking (again) Image
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

This idiocy is a propagandistic maneuver of the party of the minister Maroni. Nobody in Italy thinks seriously to a return of the Lira.
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

SUp3rFM wrote: But at least, they have something real to blame for the increase in prices!
The euro from 1999 to 2002, period in which still had not happened the substitution of the national coins and notes with those euro, it has not provoked increases of nothing. The reason of the increases goes searched in part in the rounding of the cents and part in the "cleverness" of the traders, not in the euro himself.
helicase00
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by helicase00 »

stop blaming the euro for everything
i live in Malta, we dont have the EURO
but prices still got UP
giberski
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by giberski »

I heard our minister of finance, (Zalm) and he was laughing his head off. He said we don't have to worry, because it wasn't the minister of finance who said it, but just someone else. He said that when the minister of finance would say it we have to have a talk with him! So don't worry.
Main organiser of EBTM06: Amsterdam and national meetings in Zwolle and Leiden.
Have you been to Holland? Join the Bingo

Return to “Europe-Board”