23%
35%

Total votes: 40

micdab
Euro-Regular
Euro-Regular

When will BG and RO join the EU?

Post by micdab »

When do you think the next expansion of the EU will take place? Originally it was planned that Bulgaria and Romania would be admitted in 2007. But recently I have read a lot of articles stating that there may be a delay of one or even two years due to the slow implementation of reforms in those countries, especially in Romania. What are your views?
my bill maps - i'm proud of them! :)
yli
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by yli »

I think it will be 2007, followed by Croatia in 2012
Jelle zonder internet. Het was een leuke hobby, maar niet mijn hobby. Een leven zonder internet is mijn ding. Een leven van geld uitgeven in plaats van tracken zeg maar.... hahaha. Ja, er mag gelachen worden.
Inloggen op site lukt niet meer, maakt niet uit. Ik snap toch niets van nieuwe biljetten :lol:
ART
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by ART »

I knew of possible delays too. This enlargement currently are very inopportune: it's good that they come postponed most possible, better much more than 1 or 2 years, in the same period of the Croatia.
Boudie
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Boudie »

One of the biggest problems in Romania is corruption. In order to join the EU, it is obligatory to fight this. Since the Romanian government till now has had considerable (but not enough) success, I do believe that the Romania will join the EU at least 1 year later than 2007. The same for Bulgaria. They also have trouble with corruption.

Interesting is that when one country is ready to join the Union and the other is not, it's possible that only one of the two countries joins the EU in 2007. The key date will be in May as the evaluation on the countries will be published.
milanocapitale
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by milanocapitale »

ART wrote:I knew of possible delays too. This enlargement currently are very inopportune: it's good that they come postponed most possible, better much more than 1 or 2 years, in the same period of the Croatia.
croatia has a different situation(it's richer and well organized, people fells better there) and I think that Croatia will join us before than this 2 countries
-THE ThREAD DIGGER-
Passi per quello sfigato di Marin, passi per quella zoccola della Bruni, passi per una fabbrica di debito come Alitalia ma EBT NO!(Manadou sta gran zoccola)
IO NON SONO MARINARETTO
Boudie
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by Boudie »

croatia has a different situation(it's richer and well organized, people fells better there) and I think that Croatia will join us before than this 2 countries
I'm not so sure about that. If you compare the overall assessment reports of the Commission on Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia, it looks like to me that the Commission is much more positive about Bulgaria and Romania than about Croatia.

Croatie still has to overcome a huge amount of problems like e.g. minority rights, corruption, weak enforcement, ect.

Bulgaria http://europa.eu.int/comm/enlargement/r ... OLLEGE.pdf
Romania http://europa.eu.int/comm/enlargement/r ... COLEGE.pdf
Croatia http://europa.eu.int/comm/enlargement/r ... ort_hr.pdf
Totengräber
Euro-Regular in Training
Euro-Regular in Training

Post by Totengräber »

I think it will be 2008.
Private I´m againt that, because we have just 10 new countrys, that are poorer than the older countries. Romania and Bulgaria are very poor, too.
aceman
Euro-Newbie
Euro-Newbie

Post by aceman »

BG n RO have the support of Greece :)
Aaron
Euro-Master
Euro-Master

Post by Aaron »

Boudie wrote:I'm not so sure about that. If you compare the overall assessment reports of the Commission on Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia, it looks like to me that the Commission is much more positive about Bulgaria and Romania than about Croatia.

Croatie still has to overcome a huge amount of problems like e.g. minority rights, corruption, weak enforcement, ect.
I could say the same about Romania. There are 19 minorities and concerning some of them their rights are formally fine. The corruption rate is huge. When you go from Hungary to Romania you can see that the contrast is huge; it is not as big as between Finland and Russia but it certainly reminds about that. :roll: No one in Hungary can imagine taking Romania as an EU member.

Bulgaria is about as close to banana republic as Romania is.
Kedvenc állatam a hörcsög; ha rálépek, szörcsög.

Return to “Europe-Board”